Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

So..we know we are getting the Shelby Cobra GT500

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/05, 11:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by iceman241@May 25, 2005, 10:39 AM
What do you mean off topic i am the only one on topic and they are going to make a higher performance car then the GT500 havent they always made one in the past that surpasses the origianal so we know for a fact there will be a higher performance mustang car then the GT500 just when that is the question or do you dummys think the GT500 is going to be the fastest mustang for 20 years from now please give me a breck. :scratch:
I'd reply to your comments but I'm not very good at reading non-punctuated gibberish so I have no idea how to reply.

I see that others in this thread agree that you still don't understand the topic. You're the only one that thinks you're on topic.
Old 5/25/05, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by iceman241@May 25, 2005, 9:39 AM
What do you mean off topic i am the only one on topic and they are going to make a higher performance car then the GT500 havent they always made one in the past that surpasses the origianal so we know for a fact there will be a higher performance mustang car then the GT500 just when that is the question or do you dummys think the GT500 is going to be the fastest mustang for 20 years from now please give me a breck. :scratch:

/me takes a step back and tries to decipher that grammar. Unable to do so, i reply: "...and you call us dummies ??"
Old 5/25/05, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Robert how do you figure the Ford GT wont be in trouble in a few years a magazine test drove the Ford GT and it ran 11.2 seconds in the quarter and with slicks 10.9. And the GT500 is going to be able to do the quarter in low 12s or high 11s and you dont think the next SVT that comes out after the GT500 wont be able to do low 11s or high 10s your only kidding yourself. The Ford GT is already in trouble or have you heard of the new Z06? There saying the new z06 that they are testing is getting low 11s already put slicks on it bye bye Ford GT.
Old 5/25/05, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

And think about it why would they come out with a higher performance car when the Shelby comes out it will be atleast a year or 2 that they will build a mustang faster then the shelby. If they built a car at the exact time the shelby comes out that is faster or has the same power that would be dumb for ford to do they have never done that so why would they start now?
Old 5/25/05, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by iceman241@May 25, 2005, 3:12 PM
Robert how do you figure the Ford GT wont be in trouble in a few years a magazine test drove the Ford GT and it ran 11.2 seconds in the quarter and with slicks 10.9. And the GT500 is going to be able to do the quarter in low 12s or high 11s and you dont think the next SVT that comes out after the GT500 wont be able to do low 11s or high 10s your only kidding yourself. The Ford GT is already in trouble or have you heard of the new Z06? There saying the new z06 that they are testing is getting low 11s already put slicks on it bye bye Ford GT.
Uh, sorry but you're wrong. You just are.

Listen carefully: The Ford GT beats the Z06 in hp and torque. The Ford GT has a superior chassis. The Ford GT is a mid-engine design providing much better handling dynamics than the Z06. The GT has been clocked at 3.3 seconds from 0-60 (the Z06 is estimated to be 3.8)

Sorry partner, but the GT is another notch above the ZO6 (though I've no doubt the new Z06 will be a tremendous car).

As to the Mustang argument, you have zero empirical data to back up your assertions. Not to mention which, I just don't see Ford going above 500hp in a consumer Mustang...nor do I see them watering down the Shelby by bringing out a more powerful version at the same time...nor do I see a business case for same.
Old 5/25/05, 03:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. there has to be a limit somewhere. I think 500hp/500lb.ft. is about all the insurance will allow.

2. regardless of hp numbers or even 1/4 mile times, the GT is in a whole other class than the Shelby. It isn't all about the numbers. Ferrari, Porsche, Ford GT, etc. all are about class, exclusivity and style. Most owners don't race those cars anyway. Especially not drag racing.

3. Original topic - will there be a KR version? I hope so. I doubt much more power, but, lighter weight and better suspension would make a killer R model.
Old 5/26/05, 08:36 AM
Cobra R Member

You guys are all off topic! All of you!
the topic of this thread is: "the training of iceman to become a member of TMS society"

I still remember a post from like over a year ago (so obviously its slightly dated info), and i haven't been able to find that post, but someone from ford was saying there would be about 9 variants of this mustang, topping out somewhere around the $60K area with a Cobra R-like model.
I always figured that meant we'd get a regular SVT Cobra at the $40K range and then the Shelby Mustang would've been this R model, but i guess not, so we'll see.
Old 5/26/05, 09:34 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by iceman241@May 25, 2005, 3:18 PM
And think about it why would they come out with a higher performance car when the Shelby comes out it will be atleast a year or 2 that they will build a mustang faster then the shelby. If they built a car at the exact time the shelby comes out that is faster or has the same power that would be dumb for ford to do they have never done that so why would they start now?
They have done it before and I listed the example. In 1993, there were a Cobra and a Cobra R, in 1995, again a Cobra and Cobra R, in 2000 there was a Cobra R(only reason there wasn't also a Cobra available was due to the engine problems they had with the '99). This isn't something new we are creating, Ford has built a Cobra R three times already. I don't see why it is dumb for Ford to do that, the Cobra R is a very limited production car and would probably sticker for around $70k if they built one now. So you are telling me you have never heard of this car:

Old 5/26/05, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

SVT Enthusiast and Inside the Oval both have hinted, implied, or outright stated, that once the Ford GT production ends we'll have a similarly-performing, and no doubt similarly-priced car to replace it. With the favourable reception of the GR1, which has a 605-hp V10, my guess is they'll make that in a few years.

In which case, Ford wouldn't have any problem creating an ultra-high performance Mustang, whether it's an R or a KR (depends on whether they continue with the Shelby motif). Even at 550hp it won't come near Ford's "pace car" in a few years.
Old 5/26/05, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok ok i havent been keeping up with mustangs until 2003 cause i havent really liked them until 2003 since the 2003 cobra came out. But i doubt they will come out with a cobra R the same time they come out with a Shelby that is like bringing out Lord of the RIngs the same time Star wars comes out that would be crazy. The Shelby would win hands down and noone would buy a more expensive mustang like a cobra R even if it did come out at the same time the shelby came out. Anyway why would ford want to compete against thereself the shelby has always been the top of the line car and will continue to be the top of the line car why because it is a shelby. And Robert are you kidding me the new Z06 is going to be able to keep right up with the Ford GT it is alot lighter and noone knows how well it handles yet and just cause a car can accelarate off the line quicker doesnt mean nothing the quarter mile is all that matters and the new Z06 will be able to beat it or keep up with it cause do i have to mention again the Ford GT does it in 11.2 seconds without slicks they did a test on a mule Z06 11.5 trust me the new Z06 wont be far behind the Ford GT just watch and see i promise you when the Z06 comes out they will run it against the Ford GT and i bet you a million dollors the Z06 will atleast keep up with the Ford GT watch and see when it happens ill be on here saying i told you so. And robert you actually think ford isnt going to go over the 500hp mark give me a breck the Gt500 already is going to be close or over it. They already said in a magazine it will definalty clear the 470hp mark and we all know there underated so i dont know where you get ford wont clear the 500hp mark i even read in a magazine where they said the GT500 could be the first car to sell for under 40,000 with 500hp you dont know what your talking about at all robert. Even if it doesnt clear the 500hp i can promise you the next Svt will it has to if it wants to please it customers. What are you people smoking?
Old 5/26/05, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by iceman241@May 26, 2005, 10:36 AM
Ok ok i havent been keeping up with mustangs until 2003 cause i havent really liked them until 2003 since the 2003 cobra came out. But i doubt they will come out with a cobra R the same time they come out with a Shelby that is like bringing out Lord of the RIngs the same time Star wars comes out that would be crazy. The Shelby would win hands down and noone would buy a more expensive mustang like a cobra R even if it did come out at the same time the shelby came out. Anyway why would ford want to compete against thereself the shelby has always been the top of the line car and will continue to be the top of the line car why because it is a shelby. And Robert are you kidding me the new Z06 is going to be able to keep right up with the Ford GT it is alot lighter and noone knows how well it handles yet and just cause a car can accelarate off the line quicker doesnt mean nothing the quarter mile is all that matters and the new Z06 will be able to beat it or keep up with it cause do i have to mention again the Ford GT does it in 11.2 seconds without slicks they did a test on a mule Z06 11.5 trust me the new Z06 wont be far behind the Ford GT just watch and see i promise you when the Z06 comes out they will run it against the Ford GT and i bet you a million dollors the Z06 will atleast keep up with the Ford GT watch and see when it happens ill be on here saying i told you so. And robert you actually think ford isnt going to go over the 500hp mark give me a breck the Gt500 already is going to be close or over it. They already said in a magazine it will definalty clear the 470hp mark and we all know there underated so i dont know where you get ford wont clear the 500hp mark i even read in a magazine where they said the GT500 could be the first car to sell for under 40,000 with 500hp you dont know what your talking about at all robert. Even if it doesnt clear the 500hp i can promise you the next Svt will it has to if it wants to please it customers. What are you people smoking?
How old are you, 12? :shock:

No offense, I just really have to wonder after reading your posts.
Old 5/26/05, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Robert@May 26, 2005, 2:32 PM

In his defense, the number of periods he uses has increased exponentially.
Old 5/26/05, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Robert@May 26, 2005, 3:32 PM

Or maybe he's on amphetamines?
Old 5/26/05, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by iceman241@May 26, 2005, 12:36 PM
What we are smoking is your english text book you apparently never used in school. You are apparently a vette fan as well. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But go to the Vette Source and argue with them. I would put large sums of money that the Ford GT will still be an overall higher performance vehicle than the vette. Why would chevy build and sell a vetter for say $70k to compete with the GT, which sells for almost $200k or more now? They would be foolish to build a car that betas it to sell it for that much less. And they sure as heck arent going to sell a $200k vette and **** off their fans. They wont be leaving any money on the table is what I am getting at. I should have asked this before but when you say Ford GT you arent referring to the Mustang GT are you iceman?? And btw the GT500 Shelby may be the first car to MSRP under $40k with 450 hp...not 500 as you said....but I bet it sells for alot more. For proof see all the poor people who have paid 5-8k over MSRP for the Mustang GT. Supply and demand. OK Im gonna go back to smoking english books......
Old 5/26/05, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also, Id rather see the Shelby roadster replace the GT than the GR-1. Much better looking car IMO
Old 5/27/05, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Yall are funny yeah i know i dont know how to put commas and periods but mark my words the new vette will keep up with the Ford GT and yes i am talking about the 150,000 GT and i am not a vette fan i am just stating facts here from them driving test mules on the new vette. So your saying the GT that does the quarter in 11.2 and the vette is est to do it in 11.5 wont be able to keep up with the GT how do you figure. You say why would they build a vette that is 70grand to compete with a 200 grand GT actually it cost 150 grand but dealers rise the price since they can but anyway they have been doing that for years take the 2003 cobra it can beat real expensive cars and it is alot cheaper then them so why isnt this the same the vette is already going to be able to woop up on vipers and other expensive cars i dont see why it wouldnt be able to challenge the GT i dont know if it will beat the GT but keep up with it i can promise you that it will do just watch and see who is right in a year. Also Webba you said the GT500 may be the first car to sell for under 40 grand with 450hp every magazine i looked at it said 450-plus-hp where do get just 450hp which means it will have more then 450hp and quoting the man who built the car he said himself more like 500hp trust me it will be 500hp or close to 500hp then it might be underated like the 2003 and 2004 which means 500hp i rest my case.
Old 5/27/05, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

And when i quoted the guy who built the Shelby GT500 the only part i quoted from him was when he said in a magazine article he said the production car is going to have more like 500hp how can you argue with the man who is building the GT500 you cant cause he knows everything about the car.
Old 5/27/05, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Would this be the same man who is overseeing production of the 05 GT mustang who cant get enough out this year???! It will be rated at 450 HP give or take a little bit but not 500 is what I have read and most others on here. That is all I am saying. And my point about the vette is that American car companies are not inclined to give you the performance and features of a $150k + car for $70k. They price things in that range by how much they think they can sell it rather than how much they have into it and then mark it up. The Ford Gt was built to beat the Ferrari and other cars of its class. While the vette is nice I just dont think of it being in the same class.
Old 5/27/05, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Webba all i am saying is from the quarter times i have been told the vette will be good competition for the GT all we can do is wait and see i guess. And webba you said the GT was built to beat ferraris and other cars of it class well dont you think the new Z06 will be able to beat ferraris i think it will be able to. And trust me i am no vette fan there style hasnt change for 20 or more years it basically looks the same but you have to admit the new vette is going to whoop up on alot of expensive cars that cost twice as much just cause a car cost more doesnt mean a thing its all about how few they make that is what makes the price go up so much that is why the Ford GT is so expensive they dont make many take the cobra R it cost alot cause there wasnt many of them made and plus it was hella fast then the 2003 cobra came along and had more power and everything for cheaper its all about how many they make and how good it looks just like jordans they cost so much cause there jordans but take the name off then it would be cheaper. And yeah your right about the 05 mustang overseeing production but do you think he will make the same mistake twice? And i swear in every article i have read it says the GT500 will have 450-plus-hp if they lied about the hp there will be alot of angry customers out there trust me or if you can find an article that says it just has 450hp and doesnt say 450 plus then put it on here and prove me wrong.
Old 5/27/05, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@May 26, 2005, 2:53 PM
In his defense, the number of periods he uses has increased exponentially.
You mean zero to the power of zero is still zero?

Quick Reply: So..we know we are getting the Shelby Cobra GT500