The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/)
-   -   Shelby Cobra GT350 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/shelby-cobra-gt350-409679/)

dclobster 5/24/05 04:16 PM

The GT500 is an amazing flag ship for the ford/svt motor machine at the moment. However, does anyone think it would make sense for SVT to release a car that's more affordable with a little less juice for the mid-high marktet range? A car with maybe 390 horses like the 04' ? About $33,000? With a cobra badge but not the shelby name? Any thoughts?

freebass55 5/24/05 05:03 PM

They're gonna make something that's in between, just what is the question. Whatever they build I would hope it doesn't have a snake on it. To me that snake represents the best Mustang available.

FiaCobra 5/24/05 06:33 PM

Yeah, it's fun to imagine whats on deck for us enthusiasts.

A GT-350 sounds like a great idea for a follow up to the 500.

Also, can't wait to see if we get either a Boss, Mach, Bullitt, Cali special....etc

Paleoc 5/24/05 08:53 PM

I don't have any insight into what Ford will do but if it was me, I would produce the GT500 for 2 years (07 & 08). In 08, I would produce a Mach-I based on the premium GT model. I would replace the 3V 4.6L with the NA 4V 4.6L equipped with a shaker hood. It would have special Mach-I badging.
In 09, I would introduce a new SVT Cobra with an IRS and 4.6L 4V with the same twin-screw supercharger as on the GT500. It wouldn't have Shelby badging but could be called an SVT GT350 or even SVT GT400 to reflect 400hp.
The idea wold be to put a high performance mustang (Mach-I) between the GT and GT500. The new SVT cobra would then replace the Shelby.

cntchds 5/24/05 09:47 PM

as long as the styling isnt the same ie the smile ill be happy

grabbergreen 5/25/05 03:59 AM

Originally posted by freebass55@May 24, 2005, 5:06 PM
They're gonna make something that's in between, just what is the question. Whatever they build I would hope it doesn't have a snake on it. To me that snake represents the best Mustang available.

To me, that snake represents either a 2-seat british roadster with a big-block under the hood, or a Mustang specialized by Carroll Shelby that does NOT have the word "Cobra" in its name (Shelby GT-500 or Shelby GT-350, for example)...

but that's just me.

Back on topic, yeah, a GT-350 would make sense (sans the name "Cobra", PLEASE!!!!!). Being a Shelby, however, it would have to have the Cobra symbol at least somewhere-- it IS a Shelby, after all!

Then again, a BOSS 4.6 would make even more sense, especially if Ford would update the valvetrain to VVT on BOTH cams, and variable valve lift. Such a motor could probably pound out 335hp. The beefed-up live axle from the Ford Shelby "Cobra" GT-500 (no, I am never going to get over the blasphemous use of the word "Cobra" in what is already an unneccessarily-long title) should be quite adequate for the rear suspension. I'd like to know what they'd be able to do with the front suspension, though...

Anyway, the car should be available with pearlescent "Grabber" colors (Calypso Coral, Grabber Green, Grabber Yellow, Valencia Orange, and that really bright blue on the '70 BOSS), with black striping, blacked-out hood, and black spoilers (front lip, rear wing). Since the Mustang GT already has the big front foglamps, reminiscent of a '69 BOSS, the car should also have the offset red-white-and-blue Mustang logo on the grill, also per the '69 BOSS...

:worship:

Arboc 5/26/05 11:20 AM

i think a GT350 is a possibility - 5.4 4V N/A - this is a great topic :)

Webba 5/26/05 04:14 PM

if its a GT350 it HAS to be a Shelby IMO. But if they were to do that how do yoou guys think they should distinguish it? Should they add a little more to the 500 now to make it easier to seperate the two? we all know we aint getting IRS so thats out. I dont think they could take away from the hood or louvers without making it look like the mustang GT. It will be interesting to see :)

Moondog 5/26/05 06:30 PM

Really like the idea of a "GT350" N/A 5.4L - that would be an great start to end the GM types rap wrt N/A vs supercharged discussion. Ford - let it happen! :-D

MustangFanatic 5/27/05 07:10 AM

I do like the idea of a GT350 offering to compliment the big dog GT500. My wish list for the future SE editions would include the GT350 and the Boss. I'd like to see something similar to the following offered:

GT350

- 5.4L 3V or 4V NA (Output: 375 - 390 hp) Iron Block, Aluminum heads
- 5 speed Tremec trans standard
- Automatic transmission option
- Lighter weight body and chassis components; target curb weight of 3,300 lbs.
- Front Brakes: 13" Rotors w/ 4 piston Calipers
- Rear Brakes: 12" Rotors with 2 piston Calipers
- 18" Wheels unique to the 350 (Halibrand style)
- No rear spoiler
- Unique front fascia and hood (i.e. not the GT500 or std GT offerings)

Boss

- 4.6L 4V NA (Output: 350 - 375 hp; Redline: 8,500). All aluminum, forged internals
- 5 speed Tremec trans standard
- 6 speed Tremec trans optional
- Lighter weight body and chassis components; target curb weight of 3,100 lbs.
- Suspension tuned for road race use
- SLA standard with IRS optional
- Front Brakes: 14" Rotors w/ 4 piston Calipers
- Rear Brakes: 13" Rotors with 2 piston Calipers
- 18" Wheels standard, 19's optional
- Rear pedestal spoiler
- Unique front fascia and hood reminiscent of the original Boss
- Black out trim
- Grabber Color options

dclobster 5/27/05 11:46 AM

I'm so glad I started this topic - you guys rock! My guess is that the GT350 would look almost identical to that of the GT500 - minus some of the high performance internals - I would love to see a BOSS as well, but I think a blown 4.6L sounds like the engine to me. The car could be lighter, less of a powerhouse than the GT500 - kinda like the high performance 289 vs. 390 in 1967.

Here is my next question.. When will they advertise the first special edition? The 2006 mustang will be introduced in the next couple of weeks - right? Will they mention a special edition then? Or will they wait? - Come on SVT! We can't all wait till 2007!

PeterPienaar 5/27/05 12:53 PM

Ford ought to think forty years down the road. If we re-make all the old classics, what will future generations re-make? I'd love to see a BOSS, but I can't help thinking Ford should come up with some entirely new special editions. Nothing wacky, just something new, something that will be a legend in its own right in 2045.

GTJOHN 5/27/05 01:29 PM

The rumors coming out of the Brookpark Casting Plant are saying the next SE will be a Boss. The second strongest rumor is Mach1 or GT350.
These rumors are coming from upper management who have obvious connections in Detroit.
As soon as I get some "Facts", you'll be the first to know!

I did meet a Ford Marketing Rep. at the Cleveland Auto Show, and he said that the next SE will be out in 2007 or 2008. Lets hope it will be out in fall of 2006!!

FiaCobra 5/27/05 02:19 PM

......how 'bout this for a BOSS ?? Some guy repainted his new car to look like this!! This is KILLER!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...xdd/orange.jpg

Webba 5/27/05 02:46 PM

I think they should do the Shelby series first then move onto the boss and stretch out their models for a few years. I know Boss lovers wont agree but I would doubt they have the ability to do all of these lines at once. heck they cant even get out the GT mustang this year. That way it would keep demand strong and they wont run out of ideas.

grabbergreen 5/29/05 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Webba@May 27, 2005, 2:49 PM
I think they should do the Shelby series first then move onto the boss and stretch out their models for a few years. I know Boss lovers wont agree but I would doubt they have the ability to do all of these lines at once. heck they cant even get out the GT mustang this year. That way it would keep demand strong and they wont run out of ideas.

I think I'll have to agree with this.

1) The Shelby Mustangs have a powerful nostalgia-- moreso than the BOSS or Mach 1, IMHO. This falls neatly in line with the design themes borrowed from the '60's. Hey, I don't care if it's considered "retro"-- the fact is, you cannot possibly mistake a 2005 Mustang for anything BUT a Mustang. This is a stronger and more profound statement than some people seem to realize.

2) Carroll Shelby isn't getting any younger. Better to have the new Shelby Mustangs developed while the man is assuredly alive and kickin' (the same goes for the new Shelby Cobra and GR-1, for that matter).

3) The BOSS should not be a special edition, but a standard model in the Mustang lineup-- the Camaro has had a Z-28 since the end of the '60's. And the BOSS was developed to combat the Z-28, after all...

4) Yeah, I'll agree-- there should be a new Special Edition Mustang. This should be something that can reach the younger buyer. Something less nostalgic and more modern. New RWD, IRS Mercury Cougar, anyone? :nice:

grabbergreen 5/29/05 02:09 AM

Originally posted by FiaCobra@May 27, 2005, 2:22 PM
......how 'bout this for a BOSS ?? Some guy repainted his new car to look like this!! This is KILLER!!

O.O

That... is... ab... so... lutely... breathtaking...

I WANT ONE!!!!!

*changes out of soggy underwear*

Arboc 5/29/05 05:59 AM

Originally posted by FiaCobra@May 27, 2005, 3:22 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...xdd/orange.jpg

looks good and it was done by a french-man - Quebec plates :)

iceman241 5/31/05 09:37 AM

Nope aint happening they already said in a magazine there building a mach1 and bullit mustang once the Shelby comes out.

Paleoc 5/31/05 06:39 PM

Originally posted by iceman241@May 31, 2005, 11:40 AM
Nope aint happening they already said in a magazine there building a mach1 and bullit mustang once the Shelby comes out.

Which magazine?