Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Saleen SMS 25th Anniversary Concept (New Pix July 8)

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/08, 05:55 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WaltM
I think there were investor politics going on behind the scenes and "retiring" was the smartest option.

Btw, I'm surprised that he's allowed to use the Saleen body mods and stripes.
I think you are correct. Not so sure it was a real retirement

Yea, thats a big surprise for sure. I guess whats to keep a company from buying parts and reselling them? In time, I wouldnt be surprised if this didnt turn into a court battle.
Old 7/7/08, 08:19 PM
Cobra Member

This is a personal car for Steve Saleen and not for sale. Not the highlight areas below. I might even be his personal car he converted. Also the Saleen kids do not work for Saleen, Inc. I think all three work for SMS now.

Comments by Steve Saleen, Chairman and CEO of SMS

"In celebration of my 25 years in the niche manufacturing business I wanted to create a personal car for myself that appropriately marks this very special Anniversary. The functional aesthetic innovations that we have developed are truly exceptional in every way. Though this car is not going to be for sale, it nevertheless demonstrates the technological advances present at SMS."

"With the SSC, SA-10, SA-15 and SA-20, I used those platforms to introduce new technology to the automotive market. In keeping with that tradition, this concept car incorporates many important advances developed by SMS. In particular our patented SMS Red Butterfly™ Induction System and SMS Light Blade™ LED Taillight System are definitely the coolest things that any Anniversary car has ever had! When those butterflies crack open under throttle, people stop and stare, you can be sure you will see those on our future products. And when you are passed by this car and the full width sequential turn signals come on, you will be just as awestruck!"

"Along with the main features, the supporting cast of innovation developed by SMS is just as deep, including; SMS Side Splitters and Diffuser Fences in carbon fiber, SMS billet aluminum signature elements, a beautiful SMS Two Tone Leather interior and the unique SMS "Chromosome Silver" paint with the signature anniversary yellow, white and black graphic accents.

"My Anniversary cars were always the most powerful of the breed and this car continues that tradition, as this engine produces 720 Horsepower at the crank and 612 Horsepower at the rear wheels! And the exhaust note truly is something else. Topped with 670ft lbs of Torque it is quite a steed to tame, thus it is equipped with SMS Cross Drilled 15" 6-Piston Front Brakes and a completely new SMS Billet Aluminum Watts Link System that is robust, durable and attractive."

"The performance is astounding; the SMS Twenty Fifth Anniversary Mustang has reached nearly the same levels of performance as was previously achieved in the S7 Twin Turbo! It is not everyday that the word Supercar is associated with a Mustang, but in this case it is appropriate. The team and I are very excited about the vehicle as it incorporates an entirely new platform of technological advances by SMS, and it is a testament to what our company is capable of. We look forward to it touring the show circuit this summer to show that we are in the business of power!"

"I look forward to the next twenty five years!"

http://jalopnik.com/397980/sms-25th-...ing-horsepower

Last edited by tonylop33; 7/7/08 at 08:22 PM.
Old 7/7/08, 08:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
I think you are correct. Not so sure it was a real retirement

Yea, thats a big surprise for sure. I guess whats to keep a company from buying parts and reselling them? In time, I wouldnt be surprised if this didnt turn into a court battle.
If you go to his site, there's a picture w/him and the S7. I thought that was gutsy. But I guess he's legally covered.
Old 7/7/08, 08:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tonylop33
Also the Saleen kids do not work for Saleen, Inc. I think all three work for SMS now.
Sweet deal! I wish I would have been born rich instead of incredibly good looking.
Old 7/7/08, 10:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
Sweet deal! I wish I would have been born rich instead of incredibly good looking.
I wish I was born with either. Instead I got all the smart a** genes.
Old 7/8/08, 01:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've never liked much of anything Saleen has put out over the years. To me it seems he takes the aggressive look of a mustang, flip through some ebay ads for hondas and acuras, and when he finds something he puts it on the pony car. I'll hold out for Roush or Foose, still will probably look like a hairball, but it's got to look better than this p.o.s.
Old 7/8/08, 09:36 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 7/8/08, 10:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

That rearend is HOT!!!!!
Old 7/8/08, 11:21 AM

Looks like Phil Frank finally got the taillight design he wanted all along!

Old 7/8/08, 11:22 AM

SMS will not make a 2009 Mustang, but they do have a Challenger, Camaro, and 2010 Mustang in the works...
Old 7/8/08, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

think that end will ever make it into production and be able to be purchased after market?
Old 7/8/08, 11:34 AM
Den
GT Member

I read somewhere that he was going into importing Chinese vehicles to the USA. I wonder if this didn't work out or something.
Old 7/8/08, 11:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Den
I read somewhere that he was going into importing Chinese vehicles to the USA. I wonder if this didn't work out or something.
I hope it didn't work out. This country has enough imported cars.
Old 7/8/08, 01:56 PM

Old 7/9/08, 04:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Den
Last I heard, he bailed out of the Chamco deal, and is doing muscle cars again! Gotta double check though.
Old 7/9/08, 04:36 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
uhhhh yawn
talk about underwhelmed..yeah and as for the butterflys....been there, done that 20 years ago and mine shook with the engine

Last edited by burningman; 7/9/08 at 04:37 PM.
Old 7/9/08, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TMSBrad

This must be the revised KITT! It all makes sense now!
Old 7/10/08, 04:48 AM

I wish someone of great legal intelligence would fill me in here about Steve Saleen's case with the company Saleen. How can investors take over some ones company? Why would it be better for him to step down?
Old 7/11/08, 04:55 PM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Steve Saleen hasn't own Saleen Inc for years. He sold control to Hidden Creek Industries in the middle-90's (Owner-Tony Johnson) who got tired of loosing so much money with it
and years later sold the company to Hancock Park Assocciates (a private equity investment firm) which recently
bought ASC and now is working to combine both companies at the Troy, Michigan location.

Steve Saleen held on to the CEO title until retiring, but was not the "big boss."
Old 7/12/08, 07:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Blip
Steve Saleen hasn't own Saleen Inc for years. He sold control to Hidden Creek Industries in the middle-90's (Owner-Tony Johnson) who got tired of loosing so much money with it
and years later sold the company to Hancock Park Assocciates (a private equity investment firm) which recently
bought ASC and now is working to combine both companies at the Troy, Michigan location.

Steve Saleen held on to the CEO title until retiring, but was not the "big boss."
Thanks for the explanation

Quick Reply: Saleen SMS 25th Anniversary Concept (New Pix July 8)