The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/)
-   -   Roush Complete Suspension Kit (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/roush-complete-suspension-kit-430686/)

Tony407 2/8/06 03:42 AM

Should be getting my '06 GT Coupe soon. The first couple of things I will be doing to it will be wheels/tires and some suspension mods. I'm trying to narrow down the myriad of offerings out there. I was thinking possibly going with the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs, but then I'm left with decisions later as far as what to get for shocks/struts, sway bars, etc. So I was thinking about purchasing a suspension package, such as the kit offered by Roush. I guess my first question is, should I consider a complete kit versus getting individual components by various manufacturers? If so, is the Roush kit a good, solid kit? Is it worth the almost $1,500 price? Secondly, there doesn't seem to be any specific information about it on Roush's website. I emailed them asking for more information and have received no response after waiting about 2 weeks.

The website says, "A well-engineered suspension can take seconds off your time at the track and improve handling whenever you drive. Either way, you're a winner with this Roush Performance Suspension Kit. Designed to fit V-8, 05+ Mustang."

Well, DUH.

The picture shows shocks & struts, 4 springs, and what appears to be front and rear sway bars. I'm left to assume, since it doesn't actually say, that the picture is of the actual product? Can anyone enlighten me further? How much will this lower my car? How's the ride quality? How's the ride quality compared to other manufacturers?

Any info is muchly appreciated.

Tony

rony1976 2/8/06 06:58 AM

Mix and match, don't spend all your pennies at Roush. IMO, there are companies out there that have competitive products and don't have the hefty price tag that Roush has.
Check Steeda, Saleen, BMR, CHE, and others

crazyhorse 2/8/06 07:38 AM

I disagree with the mix n match. The components need to be designed to work together. Unless you are a suspension expert, the chances of you getting it right are pretty slim. I'd look at the FRPP packages (I think they are about $1100), Roush, Steeda and Kenny BRown if he ever re-opens.

TehSLeeper 2/9/06 12:18 AM

Roush is definelty worth it. 1.02 G's on the skidpad is worth 1500 dollars. That's better than a regular vette, and knocking on the Z06's door if not better.

Tony407 2/9/06 12:50 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TehSLeeper @ February 9, 2006, 12:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Roush is definelty worth it. 1.02 G's on the skidpad is worth 1500 dollars. That's better than a regular vette, and knocking on the Z06's door if not better.
[/b][/quote]

Did you read this somewhere? I'd like to check that out myself...that's quite a performance claim!!!

Tony

TehSLeeper 2/9/06 12:57 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony407 @ February 8, 2006, 11:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Did you read this somewhere? I'd like to check that out myself...that's quite a performance claim!!!

Tony
[/b][/quote]
MM&FF Magazine, Dec or Jan issue. I'll scan the article if you want bro.

Tony407 2/9/06 01:01 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TehSLeeper @ February 9, 2006, 1:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Yeah...absolutley, if you have the time, unless you think it's online somewhere. I'm in the process of Googling both Roush and Saleen for performance reviews and the like.

Tony

crazyhorse 2/9/06 05:06 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TehSLeeper @ February 9, 2006, 3:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
I read the same article. I don't remember which it is and not sure if I can find it. That number is Roush's claim, not necessarily objective test data. Still, even if it is close, it is worth it.

rony1976 2/9/06 10:04 AM

Well, if you disagree wtih the mix and match, go with BMR, more products, more room to adjust things, excellent quality.
BMR=adjustable pan hard
ROUSH=non-adjustable
BMR=adjustable LCAs
ROUSH=non-adjustable
BMR=HD subframe connectors
ROUSH=nothing?
BMR=HD light weight k-member
ROUSH=stock?

Compare prices too, buying roush products might be just paying more for a name than anything else. I was looking at their prices for body parts, and they charge DOUBLE for certain parts than you can get them on the street, or the equivalent from another company, same concept, same materials...

As far as the claims in magazines... yeah, not always trustworthy.

Burke0011 2/9/06 10:14 AM

Observation:
I watched those guys on that Roush Racer X show whip those Stage 2s around that track and they looked like they handled pretty darn sweet......

max2000jp 2/9/06 01:47 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TehSLeeper @ February 9, 2006, 1:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

G's are an indicator of sticky tires. IIRC the test you are referring to used BFG KD tires. KD's are very grippy and darn near R compounds. Slalom speeds and Lap times are a better indicator. I am personally waiting until some better kits come out from companies like Griggs or Maximum Motorsports.

crazyhorse 2/9/06 01:51 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 9, 2006, 3:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
G's are an indicator of sticky tires. IIRC the test you are referring to used BFG KD tires. KD's are very grippy and darn near R compounds. Slalom speeds and Lap times are a better indicator. I am personally waiting until some better kits come out from companies like Griggs or Maximum Motorsports.
[/b][/quote]
Doesn't MM have an IRS and unequal A arm front for the S-197?

Tony407 2/9/06 02:13 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rony1976 @ February 9, 2006, 9:07 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, if you disagree wtih the mix and match, go with BMR, more products, more room to adjust things, excellent quality.
BMR=adjustable pan hard
ROUSH=non-adjustable
BMR=adjustable LCAs
ROUSH=non-adjustable
BMR=HD subframe connectors
ROUSH=nothing?
BMR=HD light weight k-member
ROUSH=stock?

Compare prices too, buying roush products might be just paying more for a name than anything else. I was looking at their prices for body parts, and they charge DOUBLE for certain parts than you can get them on the street, or the equivalent from another company, same concept, same materials...

As far as the claims in magazines... yeah, not always trustworthy.
[/b][/quote]

Great site. Thanks.

Tony

Topnotch 2/9/06 08:31 PM

MM&FF ARTICLE

bobbo 2/10/06 11:07 PM

I would bet you'll have better results with complete kits than mix and match. Adjustable kits even more.

I also agree that the Roush skidpad number speaks more for the KDWs than the suspension, and slalom and lap times are the only really meaningful indicator of a suspensions performance.

I myself can't help but wonder if some of the handling products that are out there for the S197 are really just products looking for a problem to claim to solve? I am betting there are a BUNCH of products that were probably very useful for the previous generation but don't really add anything to the S197. I mean, does the S197 really need a K-member....or a tubular Titanium adjustable potsandpanhard bar with NASA bushings connecting my left toe in to the front right brace...?!?!?

I also agree that the Mustang rags seem to often just be marketing arms of vendor du jour.

So who can you trust? Not Roush. Not Steeda. Not Saleen. Not GMS. Not MM. Not <name your vendor>.
Trust no one who has interest in selling you a part. You can trust forum members, only as far as their experience and reputation is verified.

The best I can come up with is to look at what FR500C teams are doing. (since I'm interested in road racing more than strip) Otehrs maybe would look at what other successful S197 drag racers running seconds less than them? Otherwise, you can spend lots of money and realize little to no improvement.

Tony407 2/11/06 06:04 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobbo @ February 10, 2006, 10:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I would bet you'll have better results with complete kits than mix and match. Adjustable kits even more.

I also agree that the Roush skidpad number speaks more for the KDWs than the suspension, and slalom and lap times are the only really meaningful indicator of a suspensions performance.

I myself can't help but wonder if some of the handling products that are out there for the S197 are really just products looking for a problem to claim to solve? I am betting there are a BUNCH of products that were probably very useful for the previous generation but don't really add anything to the S197. I mean, does the S197 really need a K-member....or a tubular Titanium adjustable potsandpanhard bar with NASA bushings connecting my left toe in to the front right brace...?!?!?

I also agree that the Mustang rags seem to often just be marketing arms of vendor du jour.

So who can you trust? Not Roush. Not Steeda. Not Saleen. Not GMS. Not MM. Not <name your vendor>.
Trust no one who has interest in selling you a part. You can trust forum members, only as far as their experience and reputation is verified.

The best I can come up with is to look at what FR500C teams are doing. (since I'm interested in road racing more than strip) Otehrs maybe would look at what other successful S197 drag racers running seconds less than them? Otherwise, you can spend lots of money and realize little to no improvement.
[/b][/quote]

I read the MM&FF review. I've also read some other reviews of both the Roush & Saleen packages and some others I can't remember right now. It would appear that most anything I decide to go with (at least as far as the major manufacturers) will provide VERY good results. Having said that, I am particularly impressed with the Saleen website - in terms of providing lots of product information. I emailed Roush directly off their website several weeks ago about specifics regarding their suspension package and still haven't received a response. Very disappointed. So hello Roush, if anyone is listening, you just lost a potential customer.

Tony

PACETTR 2/12/06 10:31 PM

I work for a Roush dealer, and I can tell you the Stage 2 absolutely WORKS! The handling is very flat and neutral, and all with a VERY minimal sacrifice in ride quality. The Saleen has a difinitively harsher ride, at least on the street (we are a Saleen dealer as well). I just bought myself an '05 (0.9% + $500 rebate :-)) and if I can't get any definitive input on the ride quality of the FR3 kit, I myself will be buying the Roush kit to compliment my new wheels! (pics this week hopefully)

I agree that a KIT is better than mix'n'match for anyone but an expert (which I am not) and IMHO adjustable parts are for those who know how to adjust them.

Good luck with your decision! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]