The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/)
-   -   One car, Or Two? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/one-car-two-403929/)

ScotWithOne_t 3/21/05 06:30 PM

So...what do you all predict? Will the GT500 be the only car unvieled at the NY auto show on Wednesday? Or will we be surprised with a Shelby AND an SVT car?

Make your vote officially stated, so you can reference this thread on wednesday and say "I told you so!" :D

ScotWithOne_t 3/21/05 06:32 PM

For the record...I say one and only car. I am not an insider, nor do I have any inside info. This is my prediction, and I hope I'm wrong...but I'm never wrong. ;) :D

Grantsdale 3/21/05 06:39 PM

Only one at the auto show. But since they are making only 7500 of the Shelby, I bet there will be a cobra soon to follow.

BlackRiderX 3/21/05 06:41 PM

One Cobra, badged as a Shelby for the time being. They are shooting to make 7500 a year.

1 COBRA 3/21/05 06:43 PM

Ford will be show casing Carroll Shelby. It's his day. I say 1 car.

Route 66 3/21/05 06:57 PM

I'm guessing you'll see this GT500 as an 06 model available to order late this year. We'll see either a concept, or pics of an 07 Cobra. Remember all the SVT Cobra lease customers that were guaranteed the 07 Cobra prior to anyone else.

bigred0383 3/21/05 07:16 PM

Ok no offense is meant to any of you, but realistically speaking, I think expecting two high performance Mustangs in the next two years being sold at the same time, let alone being at the auto show together is about as likely (and pointless) as the whole V8 for less than $20,000 debates that happened before the release of the '05. But who knows, I could be wrong.

stoic21 3/21/05 07:30 PM

I believe that the gt500 will be the only one for now, an svt cobra may come later but ford has never offered two high end mustangs. It may soon go back to the

Mustang
Mustang gt
Special edition
Cobra

But it is very unlikely that they will offer two seperate cars. Now if they offer the svt cobra and then offer a shelby package upgrade thats a different matter. But i don't think that will happen either.

BlackRiderX 3/21/05 07:37 PM

Originally posted by bigred0383@March 21, 2005, 8:19 PM
Ok no offense is meant to any of you, but realistically speaking, I think expecting two high performance Mustangs in the next two years being sold at the same time, let alone being at the auto show together is about as likely (and pointless) as the whole V8 for less than $20,000 debates that happened before the release of the '05. But who knows, I could be wrong.

I agree, one car that will probably be carried over every year.

SixtySix 3/21/05 07:50 PM

I say they may announce both. A 2006 Shelby and a 2007 Cobra.

Autotooner 3/21/05 07:51 PM

I think their will be two cars, kinda like cobra and cobra r
maybe gt500 and gt350 I think cobra and king cobra would be cool too

Route 66 3/21/05 07:59 PM

Thanks sixty-Six. Somebody's in my camp. Like I said, what about the lease customers. Remeber, FORD promised them first dibs on next Cobra. Unless I'm mistaking, The GT500 isn't a Cobra. I could be wrong. Ah oh. I just thought about something. Why would Ford invite 20 SVTOA members to a secret revealing the day before. Unless it's to see a different car. Dang, I'm gonna start :drunk:

anaki 3/21/05 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Route 66@March 21, 2005, 9:02 PM
Thanks sixty-Six. Somebody's in my camp. Like I said, what about the lease customers. Remeber, FORD promised them first dibs on next Cobra. Unless I'm mistaking, The GT500 isn't a Cobra. I could be wrong. Ah oh. I just thought about something. Why would Ford invite 20 SVTOA members to a secret revealing the day before. Unless it's to see a different car. Dang, I'm gonna start :drunk:

:nice:

1 COBRA 3/21/05 08:07 PM

Like I said before, the more the merrier.

:jester:

BlackRiderX 3/21/05 08:08 PM

Chances are the lease owners will have first crack at the cars. If it isn't a Cobra why does it have a snake emblem?

k-dubb 3/21/05 09:17 PM

what he said ^^^^

mobster 3/22/05 12:49 AM

I hope there is two.....However I doubt there will be.

slavehand 3/22/05 05:33 AM

Dang! I just made it even in the polls! I didn't know there would be this much optomism about the possibility of 2 cars. We got roughly 24 hours fellas. I can hardly wait, how 'bout y'all?

HammyZTS 3/22/05 06:15 AM

I'm starting to think that this car is just a special edition like any other special edition, i.e. Bullitt, Mach 1, 35 ann., 40th ann. This car will be a once off, maybe two model years at most. Someone else said it well in that Caroll Shelby is still around and it is cool to have his input on a car, but the stock in his name will go down after he passes away and you know for a fact that he had no technical input at all on the car. On that note, I really feel they are letting him have the spotlight for the moment, building a one, maybe two-year production of a car built to his liking and with his seal of approval, and then we will continue with our regular SVT Cobra. Yes, this was engineered by SVT, but so was the GT supercar... No one really cares enough when the SVT badge is removed from the rear bumper-cover and advertised on the SVT webpage... As has been mentioned a million times, SVT is going to have a huge input on many new "special editions" that are coming out in the future, and this is just the first one... Special Edition by Ford, engineering by SVT.

97RedSnake 3/22/05 06:59 AM

Ok. Not to be mean or a downer for some of you guys.

But, guys, the GT500 IS the Cobra. This is the new 2007 Cobra. We can most likely expect another car to be positioned between the GT and GT500, but not for another year or two. Like a Mach 1 or Boss or Bullitt. But, there won't be another Cobra in addition to the Shelby Cobra GT500.

I'm sorry, but this is just a little honesty. For those of you hoping for the announcement of two cars on Wednesday- just look at that Motor Trend cover. Don't you think there would be mention of two cars, if there were two cars? Also, notice the Cobra emblem in the grill?

Really, i am glad there is only one car at this point. The new Shelby is your new Cobra from SVT. I expect part of what will be announced on Wednesday is that SVT will now be producing any Shelby products that come from Ford.

Anyway, sorry to bring anyone down. I for one am still very happy with the Shelby Cobra GT500. It works for me. :-D

Mystic_Cobra 3/22/05 07:17 AM

This car IS the Cobra!

oldskl427 3/22/05 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Mystic_Cobra@March 22, 2005, 10:20 AM
This car IS the Cobra!

:nice: ..now if I can just buy one :jester:

slavehand 3/22/05 08:21 AM

Originally posted by 97RedSnake@March 22, 2005, 9:02 AM
Ok. Not to be mean or a downer for some of you guys.

But, guys, the GT500 IS the Cobra. This is the new 2007 Cobra. We can most likely expect another car to be positioned between the GT and GT500, but not for another year or two. Like a Mach 1 or Boss or Bullitt. But, there won't be another Cobra in addition to the Shelby Cobra GT500.

I'm sorry, but this is just a little honesty. For those of you hoping for the announcement of two cars on Wednesday- just look at that Motor Trend cover. Don't you think there would be mention of two cars, if there were two cars? Also, notice the Cobra emblem in the grill?

Really, i am glad there is only one car at this point. The new Shelby is your new Cobra from SVT. I expect part of what will be announced on Wednesday is that SVT will now be producing any Shelby products that come from Ford.

Anyway, sorry to bring anyone down. I for one am still very happy with the Shelby Cobra GT500. It works for me. :-D

Naw! Man! You aint rainin' on my parade. If there is just one car, then there's just one car. I still have 24 hours to be as optomistic about the situation until the cold hard truth is revealed. So until then, I still have that small glimmer of hope. :nice:

jsaylor 3/22/05 08:46 AM

I too am surprised by the folks who for some reason assume this is not the new Cobra and the only "Mustang" Cobra we are going to seein this slot. If there is eventually another car in addition to this one I look for a GT500KR to take up a Cobra R model type position or maybe a GT-350 to slot below this and provide more units per year giving SVT more volume, but nothing more.

Some folks seem to be deducing that since this car only has a predicted production of 7500 units there must be another car on the same level. But, the car is getting more expensive and it is pretty obvious that production would lower as price goes up. Ford wants to keep demand on this car high, and fewer units a year will do just that.

Just like the Mach-1 took up the slot of the 01 Cobra when the snake moved upmarket the same is certain to happen again. And that is the car you can expect to see with 10k+ unit a year production wether it be a more upmarket Mach-1 or another SVT/Shelby offering. I just wouldn't look for anything badged "SVT Cobra", certainly not on the same level or above this car.

Of course, as always I could be wrong and usually am...lol

Mystic_Cobra 3/22/05 08:55 AM

Remember, they only planned to make about 140,000 05 Mustangs and then bumped up production to make about 190,000. They could do the same thing if the Shelby Cobra sells well.
I was thinking if would be silly to introduce a GT500 first and then "go down" to a GT350 SE a year or two later. But, who knows. The Mach1 came out great and it is/was a cool upgrade over a GT for those who didn't want or couldn't afford a Cobra. Maybe that second car will come in 07 as an 08 MY...
Ford has a habit/history of giving us new things one a time.
"You can have a coupe now but you'll have to wait 6 months for a convertible..."

slavehand 3/22/05 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Mystic_Cobra@March 22, 2005, 10:58 AM
Remember, they only planned to make about 140,000 05 Mustangs and then bumped up production to make about 190,000. They could do the same thing if the Shelby Cobra sells well.
I was thinking if would be silly to introduce a GT500 first and then "go down" to a GT350 SE a year or two later. But, who knows. The Mach1 came out great and it is/was a cool upgrade over a GT for those who didn't want or couldn't afford a Cobra. Maybe that second car will come in 07 as an 08 MY...
Ford has a habit/history of giving us new things one a time.
"You can have a coupe now but you'll have to wait 6 months for a convertible..."

I honestly don't think any dealer will have a problem selling these bad boys. In fact I expect these things to be gone before they get them. I just want to know what is next on SVT list of "Mustangs to Build" and how this 7500 limited run is going to pan out.

97RedSnake 3/22/05 11:34 AM

7500 is about the normal yearly production on any Cobra model. I don't see this number as being overly significant. They aren't saying that only 7500 will ever be built. This is just their expected 1st year volume. Not that surprising.

freebass55 3/22/05 11:45 AM

I can only hope...

2 cars.

Loch 3/22/05 12:10 PM

My guess is the only car you’re going to see tomorrow will be the GT 500. But I bet we hear more about SVT’s plans going further with the Mustang, like a GT 350 in MY ’07 as well.

HammyZTS 3/22/05 12:24 PM

I truly think there will be two cars. This car is a concept. It will get everyone all excited, just like the original 02 NAIAS Mustang GT concept did, just like the Lightning concept did. These are concepts. Will there be something like this? Yes. Will it carry this name? Maybe. Is there a future model slated either below or above this? Maybe.

You all seem to have forgotten the discussions a year ago when we were all speculating about the possibility of special editions. Many felt the Shelby would be a special edition in addition to the SVT. This concept has been engineered by SVT, but we have no official statement that this IS THE REAL THING!!! Things can change. I mean, look at the Lightning!!!

I truly feel this is just a special edition like the Bullitt, Mach and anniversaries... This will be a one or two model year product run and then we will have other cars too. Yes, SVT engineered this thing, but there are just as many loyal SVT Cobra fans as there are Lightning owners who will not like a Shelby over a real SVT.

There WILL be an SVT in addition to this car. Whether this car is slated below or above the SVT will be determined. Remember the original talks were all pointing to the next-gen SVT as being a M5 fighter... It was going to the most technologically advanced mustang in all ways, shape and form. Now we get the Shelby. Yes it's fast and will look fun, but I think it will really be a special edition GT and be fast, yet the real SVT will be a true driving experience with BMW fighting characteristics. I honestly doubt SVT just dropped all goals with this car just so CS could have a car as fast as a Viper.

REMEMBER, THIS IS A CONCEPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang:

Loch 3/22/05 12:36 PM

Originally posted by HammyZTS@March 22, 2005, 1:27 PM
REMEMBER, THIS IS A CONCEPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang:

You keep beating your head against the wall buddy but they have already said they will be selling this car in 2006 as a 2007 model. :nice:

pedalmasher 3/22/05 04:24 PM

Very sweet :-D ...thought we were going to have to wait another day for any info.

I hope there will be 2 cars but am doubtful. If this were the SE then they would have to make the big daddy 500-600 hp, and I don't think that's happening.

The Mustang GT is selling well and there is really no reason to boost interest or sales at this point. Just my opinion. I really want a SE too.

I can't wait to see details tomorrow.

How much will it cost, when can it be ordered, what colors, etc...

Did Ford allow x-plan on previous Cobra models?

So many new questions and renewed excitement for Ford fans :nice:

crazyhorse 3/22/05 04:27 PM

I think 2 cars. One about 38k, one about 48k. Notice the car does not have SVT anywhere on the body. Only the wheels, door sills and valve covers.

200mphcobra 3/22/05 04:31 PM

Originally posted by crazyhorse@March 22, 2005, 5:30 PM
I think 2 cars. One about 38k, one about 48k. Notice the car does not have SVT anywhere on the body. Only the wheels, door sills and valve covers.

I'm with you, there is room for more. IRS, GT motor, maybey some camshaft trickery, ram air, super cooler etc etc...

Tony Alonso 3/22/05 09:59 PM

anaki's post lends some creedence to the "2-car theory". We'll soon see!

kevinb120 3/22/05 11:12 PM

They only have one SVT car, where is the second one?? :dunno:

Robert 3/23/05 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Tony Alonso@March 22, 2005, 11:02 PM
anaki's post lends some creedence to the "2-car theory". We'll soon see!

Anaki's an "information poser," and totally full of it.

There will be only one Cobra for the time being. There's just no business sense in two labels for the same car...and we've not heard a peep about another car from Ford.

THIS IS THE COBRA. Deal with it.

Mas35NYR 3/23/05 03:24 AM

I believe there will be atleast 2 versions of the Cobra represented at the auto show. Like anaki noted in a previous post somewhere, Ford's SVT put together the Cobra but Shelby add his name to one. "Shelby" will be an option like Saleen but not the Cobra itself. Just like there is a Saleen GT (Surprised they didn't do a Saleen V6 :jester: ) there will be a Saleen Cobra soon enough, maybe even at the AutoShow but that would be pushing it. Anaki's close up of the SVT Cobra is proof enough people. IMO

Does anyone see a chin spoiler on the red SVT Cobra in the pic? There is one on the Blue Cobra next to it. You don't see it cause it's not there. You can get it with the Shelby upgrade option or some other sort of upgrade I'm guessing.

P.S. Anyone else notice there is no woofer in the interior shots and no name on the radio?

crazyhorse 3/23/05 05:26 AM

Originally posted by Mas35NYR@March 23, 2005, 5:27 AM
I believe there will be atleast 2 versions of the Cobra represented at the auto show. Like anaki noted in a previous post somewhere, Ford's SVT put together the Cobra but Shelby add his name to one. "Shelby" will be an option like Saleen but not the Cobra itself. Just like there is a Saleen GT (Surprised they didn't do a Saleen V6 :jester: ) there will be a Saleen Cobra soon enough, maybe even at the AutoShow but that would be pushing it. Anaki's close up of the SVT Cobra is proof enough people. IMO

Does anyone see a chin spoiler on the red SVT Cobra in the pic? There is one on the Blue Cobra next to it. You don't see it cause it's not there. You can get it with the Shelby upgrade option or some other sort of upgrade I'm guessing.

P.S. Anyone else notice there is no woofer in the interior shots and no name on the radio?

good eye on the woofer. I hope they leave it out. It looks cheesy anyway. I'll be listening to the 5.4 symphony most of the time anyway.

Robert 3/23/05 05:40 AM

Originally posted by Mas35NYR@March 23, 2005, 4:27 AM
Anaki's close up of the SVT Cobra is proof enough people. IMO

That's hardly proof. What you're looking at is a GT500 in two stages of development and/or trim - not two Cobras, SVT AND Shelby. There is NO pure SVT Cobra folks. Period. End of story. It's a fantasy being perpetuated on this board with no basis in reality.

As to no woofer in the door - this is an early production mockup, which means there could be many little changes coming. The Ford literature also states that the Cobra emblem is embroidered into the seatbacks, yet if you look at all the Ford press photos of the interior, guess what? No embroidered Cobra emblem. So no name on the radio means nothing. We all know to look at it that it's a Shaker. Whether or not the 1000 will be offered is anybody's guess right now.

Expect little detail changes between this and the production car. Another example is the wheels. They will be 18" not 19". Ford has at least 15 months to make changes.

tangs3 3/23/05 05:47 AM

a couple of years for the shelby edition then back to regular Cobra. They will make this car a collector. Buy one and keep it, be ready for unbelieveable dealer markups on this car.

97RedSnake 3/23/05 06:15 AM

Robert, you have to stop. You are making too much sense. lol

Robert 3/23/05 06:25 AM

Originally posted by 97RedSnake@March 23, 2005, 7:18 AM
Robert, you have to stop. You are making too much sense. lol

I guess I need to stop :drunk: so early in the morning.

:jester:

cyoda44 3/23/05 07:38 AM

"Final prices are not set but the last SVT Cobra cost $35,000. Ford officials say the goal is to keep this car priced less than $40,000. “You won’t be able to touch this performance for the money,” Thai-Tang says. GT500s will be built at the Ford/Mazda joint-venture plant in Flat Rock alongside Mustang and Mustang GT. Ford won’t commit to a production number, but says it will build all the 500s drivers demand."

Not limited production!! two cars are going to be built or svt will only build the true "super cars" aka the GT and Shelby concept.

traffic142 11/4/05 09:51 AM

I think one car....Ford has waited too long to get Shelby back to do a GT 500. Note, Cobra came about after, shelby left. Not sure why he did not sue ford back in the day, unless I missed it.

I would love to get a shelby...could just barely afford my GT. I got mine with out a mark up. Maybe after the first year or two the availablity and price will stabilize.....maybe by then with no more child support...I can afford one.

I really dont want to miss out the second time on owning a shelby.

Auburnman 11/4/05 01:52 PM

Originally posted by traffic142+November 4, 2005, 11:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(traffic142 @ November 4, 2005, 11:54 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think one car....Ford has waited too long to get Shelby back to do a GT 500.[/b]

You're a little late with this post don't you think :-D
That poll was conducted last spring.

<!--QuoteBegin-ScotWithOne_t
@March 21, 2005, 8:33 PM
So...what do you all predict? Will the GT500 be the only car unvieled at the NY auto show on Wednesday?
[/quote]

JETSOLVER 11/5/05 11:23 AM

SHELBY in, SVT COBRA out! And the winner is... I REALLY don't like this at all. I realize the name was unwieldy however, the car is engineered, tested, certified, and produced by sVT and FORD, not the old man. I hope that the car is rebadged a year from now and this may afect my $50+k purchase decision. I don't want to pay for a bunch of Baby BOOMERs fond recollections of a drug addled youth. I just want the stuff man. Tell you what FORD, you take all the stickers and SHELBY crap off it, put in the AL block and I'll give you an extra 5k.

futuresvt 11/5/05 12:46 PM

maybe the alum 5.4 4v that Kevin 05kcstang(?) recently leaked will be put into a regular cobra. no forged internals just raw N/A displacement power in a lighter engine....?

Route 66 11/5/05 01:28 PM

I don't understand why FORD can't come up with two versions for 06. A Shelby GT500 and a SVT Cobra. $37,995 for SVT Cobra and 39,995 for the Shelby GT500. I'll take either.

Fordracing200 11/6/05 01:37 PM

One car, its a combo of the two ;)