Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Motor Trend catches Saleen cheating on their test

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/05, 11:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It still passes Florida emissions tests, oh wait, we don't have any.
Old 3/1/05, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really, FL doesn't have emissions anywhere? In GA, There's a list of counties in the Metro Atlanta area that are required to have them. Up where I live though, emission laws are non-existent.
Old 3/1/05, 01:20 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by nis350ztt@March 1, 2005, 12:41 PM
I have to disagree...the 03/04 Cobra's weren't all that much nicer than GT's. IMO it was the power under warranty that sold them, that and power potential, and better handling.
The extra bucks for the Cobra buys you a nicer looking exterior, better seats, and a drivetrain that is much better. To take a GT and give it Cobra-like specifications using aftermarket parts, you end up spending twice as much or more than the price difference -- the Cobra is hands-down the best bang-for-buck option out there. I hope Ford gives us something comparable in 2007.
Old 3/1/05, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nis350ztt@March 1, 2005, 1:41 PM
I have to disagree...the 03/04 Cobra's weren't all that much nicer than GT's. IMO it was the power under warranty that sold them, that and power potential, and better handling.
I thought the '03/'04 Cobra's had suede leather seats and such? Thats an improvement over the GT. The suede was one the main reasons I turned away. Suede + kids = disaster.
Old 3/1/05, 01:46 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by slavehand@March 1, 2005, 2:31 PM
I thought the '03/'04 Cobra's had suede leather seats and such? Thats an improvement over the GT. The suede was one the main reasons I turned away. Suede + kids = disaster.
No suede -- Leather seats with Alcantara (microfiber cloth) inserts.

Dave
Old 3/1/05, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Doesn't it have the look and feel or am I mistaken?
Old 3/1/05, 04:13 PM
V6 Member

It's kind of like the whole Ashlee Simpson thing...most every pop performer lip syncs, she just got caught. It doesn't surprise me at all that Saleen submitted a ringer, but since when does running rich give you an advantage?

As for the Saleen bashing, who cares what YOU would spend your money on. Isn't it great to have so many options? What person in their right mind would spend so much money on a toy anyway? We're ALL crazy!! The great thing about buying a tuner car is that you can finance the whole thing. Sure, you can buy a new Mustang and spend $8000 and have a better car. But, if it gets stolen, will you get your money back? nope! If you try to sell it, will you get your investment back? nope! Saleen has a fairly good resale value compared to GTs and Cobras. I love my '01 Saleen. Will I buy another Saleen? Eh, probably not
Old 3/1/05, 06:22 PM
GT Member

Hmmm.....I know it's a sin to even mention BON over here.....

But they do mention that there are huge problems over at Saleen's SSV facility in Troy, Michigan where the Ford GT is being built. Apparently he let go of over a dozen key people, and Ford is furious over the GT's quality problems (7 recalls so far).

This is a huge black eye for Saleen, and I'm very dissappointed in them. :notnice:

I've always thought of Saleen taking the mantle from Shelby in terms of Mustang performance, and frankly, I prefer his cars over the other Mustang "tuners", but after reading this.....
Old 3/1/05, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

steve saleen is merely a puppet anymore...

someone else owns him
Old 3/1/05, 08:45 PM

Hey Now. Before you start knocking on Saleen, remember what they have helped to do to the Mustang market. Saleen was originaly a suspention company. They would take Mustangs and play with only the suspention so as not to inerfear with Fords warrenty and the dealerships. The S281 might be barly over the performance levels of the new GT, but have you seen the upgrades to the suspention?!?! Check out the slalom speeds and the handeling reports. Saleen has lived up to there name with a good looking well performing vehicle, but everyone is bound to have some problems that need to be fixed once in a while, especialy with a whole new engine and computer to deal with in a short period of time.
Owning a Saleen puts you in a select group of people in the world and i would definatly pay more for a Saleen with power levels below any GT just to have that special Saleen touch and care thay put into their cars.
Plus, everyone is entitled to there own opinion...
Old 3/1/05, 10:35 PM
GT Member

Wouldn't running rich ("This car's exhaust smelled of unburned fuel, as if it were running rich") hurt performance it wasn't a SC car. Sounds like a bad tune on a preproduction car.
Old 3/2/05, 05:21 AM

Not to try and defend Saleen too much on this, as they should have tuned the car correctly & double checked it before it went for testing, but I wanted to point out a couple things.

1> The Saleen is 50lbs heavier than the GT it stared out as. (weight due to body & wheel & tire package) (wheel & tire weight addition = bad)

2> 25hp with a 50lb weight gain is NOT going to make the car a 1/4 mile killer. (DUH)

3> Being "Pig Rich" is not making the car faster, Saleen would have been better off to have the thing running on the Lean side of things. (MT got this wrong)

4> 19" Wheel & Summer Tire package IS a factory option that the folks at MT failed to notice as they did not read the full option list.

There you go, my $0.02 contribution to the discussion
Old 3/2/05, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Saleen Mike@March 2, 2005, 7:24 AM
Not to try and defend Saleen too much on this, as they should have tuned the car correctly & double checked it before it went for testing, but I wanted to point out a couple things.

1> The Saleen is 50lbs heavier than the GT it stared out as. (weight due to body & wheel & tire package) (wheel & tire weight addition = bad)

2> 25hp with a 50lb weight gain is NOT going to make the car a 1/4 mile killer. (DUH)

3> Being "Pig Rich" is not making the car faster, Saleen would have been better off to have the thing running on the Lean side of things. (MT got this wrong)

4> 19" Wheel & Summer Tire package IS a factory option that the folks at MT failed to notice as they did not read the full option list.

There you go, my $0.02 contribution to the discussion
I did not know about the OTHER optional wheel and tire package, thanks.

And Mike, I'm not sure if your implying this, but I'll say it. I think A LOT of people were expecting too much performance wise from Saleen. I wasn't, not for a non s/c version. I AM impressed w/ the slalom #'s, though. IMO, Saleen's got a lot of work ahead of them to produce a vehicle up to Steve's standards. But what do I know?
Old 3/2/05, 08:52 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Saleen fired their COO last week.
Old 3/2/05, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

COO? I'm unfamiliar w/ that one. Chief Operations Officer?
Old 3/2/05, 03:57 PM

I THINK THEY RUSHED TO GET AN 05 STANG SET UP 4 THESE AUTO SHOWS. :P :P
Old 3/2/05, 04:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as saleens body kit.... they TOTALLY screwed the looks of this Mustang up with a horrible grill and and the smiley face front bumper....

Ive seen no mention other than Saleen Mikes claim of 19 inch wheels.....

Sounds to me like Saleen tried to cheat on the performance, and I have read the article.
Old 3/2/05, 06:30 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TheMustangSource@March 2, 2005, 10:55 AM
Saleen fired their COO last week.
Interesting, where'd you get that info Brad?
Old 3/2/05, 07:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here are the scans for those who wish to see them. Enjoy!
Old 3/2/05, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Well here is the deal... This arguement is pointless...... bickering over this subject is stupid.... I mean think about it soo much changed between 04-05 a whole new body and what not... you can only assume that there will be problems... Look at the cobras in 99-04... Correct me if im Wrong but because of problems the cobra was put on hold for 2000 were they not? Aftermarket tuners such as saleen and roush didnt have as much time as ford to plan everything out to a point and considoring ford themselves are having problems with 05s i cant say that Saleen is cheating for not running up to par in others standards....

now personaly i would not buy an 05 saleen (although the rear facia is kinda attractive) but i would buy an older modle... but on the same note i wouldnt buy an 05gt either because I know that in 06 or 07 they are going to find out some new info and then fix their problems.....

Remember in the 60s ford had to work heavily on their bodies between 67-70 because of slight mis calculations...

So I say deal with it... And if you dont like the look good for you others do...

There is my $0.02

Quick Reply: Motor Trend catches Saleen cheating on their test