The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/)
-   -   Cobra for 60k? That's Cheap! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f686/cobra-60k-thats-cheap-430169/)

lethaljay 1/30/06 06:13 PM

WOW! I was just doing some research on one dealer that is located here in Wichita, Kansas, about the Shelby Cobra. This dealer is definitely not my favorite and not the dealership where I bought my Mustang. This dealership has been known to jack up the prices on new Mustangs. Here is an example: They wanted to sell a 2005 V6 Mustang with 16,000 miles for 24,998!!! :eek:

Well, onto my email to this dealership. I was just playing like I had a lot of money and that I "MUST HAVE" the new Cobra. I found out that this particular dealer plans it will receive two 2007 Cobras. I then asked them exactly how much they plan to sell them for. Here are his exact words, "as far as price there is speculation of double the sticker, but we just don't know."

$80,000+ FOR A COBRA?!?!?! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:notnice: :eek:

I guess if you are dieing for a new cobra bend over 'cause here it comes!

1 COBRA 1/30/06 06:40 PM

Originally posted by lethaljay@January 30, 2006, 9:16 PM
... I was just playing like I had a lot of money and that I "MUST HAVE" the new Cobra...

I guess if you are dying for a new cobra bend over 'cause here it comes!

Wow! Such abusive dealers! :rolleyes:

I figured you'd be offered $500 over invoice with a $100 deposit and be #2 off the production line.
What a bunch of bastards! :rolleyes:

KGSGT350 1/31/06 08:43 AM

The problem isn't with the dealers. The problem is with the buyers. The people who have money to flush down the toilet. If there are no buyers at that price, then there is no sale. Let's be realistic, if you were able to get one at the wholesale price and someone offered you double, wouldn't you sell it? Of course you would. This is business. This is sales. These guys are all about commission. Fortunately we don't have to buy until the price comes down to what we are willing to pay.

Karpro 1/31/06 08:56 AM

Is a seller ripping someone off if he sells a late 60's Shelby for $75,000+ when it only stickered for less than $10,000 new? Ultimately, the buyers set the market, not the sellers.

1 COBRA 1/31/06 11:15 AM

Originally posted by KGSGT350@January 31, 2006, 11:46 AM
... The problem is with the buyers...

As well as non interested parties such as Mr. lethaljay who become the talk of the dealers. They don't provide a setback for the legitimate and potential buyers but they do assist in creating a delay for those who will eventually buy a GT500 when dealers finally realize AMV will fly with a very small minority not the majority.

Add the fact of those speculators who have lost their pants on previous special editions. They are not likely to make the same mistake if they learned their lesson, if not they'll need another set of new pants.

Anyone with half a brain will realize not being patient will get them nailed. If there are any doubts they can be cleared by consulting with early buyers of Vettes, T-Birds, Mustang GTs, Mach 1s, Bullitts, 350Zs, or even PT Cruisers and VW Beetles. Within 6 - 12 months they were in the red big time.

cobrasvt777 1/31/06 11:53 AM

I thought they took the COBRA name out of it and are calling it the Shelby GT500. :jester:

mrGT 1/31/06 03:33 PM

Originally posted by KGSGT350@January 31, 2006, 9:46 AM
The problem isn't with the dealers. The problem is with the buyers. The people who have money to flush down the toilet. If there are no buyers at that price, then there is no sale. Let's be realistic, if you were able to get one at the wholesale price and someone offered you double, wouldn't you sell it? Of course you would. This is business. This is sales. These guys are all about commission. Fortunately we don't have to buy until the price comes down to what we are willing to pay.

In my mind, you have hit the nail on the head! Those paying over MSRP, more than likely, do not have financial worries. Like you stated, wait a while and the Shelby will be going for sticker. Even those that don't want to pay MSRP will only have to wait until all those willing to pay sticker have dried up. But those waiting on a Terminator-type happening, I think will be in for a very long wait.

To be honest, there are those out there that would love to have a new Mustang GT, but they can't afford it for a multitude of valid reasons.

Personally, I do hold no ill will against the dealers that are trying to make a little extra money...but I know there are plenty out that do. And I believe those to be the one's that only want to pay MSRP and they are being shut out by those that will pay more.

I respect those dealers, and there are more than you think, that have opted to sell the Shelby for NO MORE than MSRP. I hope when it comes time to buy a family, work, or child's car, these dealers are rewarded by the customers paying MSRP for those cars too. Something tells me that won't be the case, but I hope they do.

crazyhorse 1/31/06 03:51 PM

Originally posted by mrGT@January 31, 2006, 5:36 PM
In my mind, you have hit the nail on the head! Those paying over MSRP, more than likely, do not have financial worries. Like you stated, wait a while and the Shelby will be going for sticker. Even those that don't want to pay MSRP will only have to wait until all those willing to pay sticker have dried up. But those waiting on a Terminator-type happening, I think will be in for a very long wait.

To be honest, there are those out there that would love to have a new Mustang GT, but they can't afford it for a multitude of valid reasons.

Personally, I do hold no ill will against the dealers that are trying to make a little extra money...but I know there are plenty out that do. And I believe those to be the one's that only want to pay MSRP and they are being shut out by those that will pay more.

I respect those dealers, and there are more than you think, that have opted to sell the Shelby for NO MORE than MSRP. I hope when it comes time to buy a family, work, or child's car, these dealers are rewarded by the customers paying MSRP for those cars too. Something tells me that won't be the case, but I hope they do.

I prob won't pay MSRP for my next pickup, but, I will likely buy it from whoever sells me my GT500 at MSRP. IF the dealer has the integrity to sell at MSRP in a 10k over sticker world, then I will have the integrity to pay something like a grand over invoice in an invoice world. That dealer and I will develop a long standing relationship that way. I still buy my stereo equipment from the place I started buying it when I was 12 yr old (I'm nearly 40 now). I can get it cheaper at Crutchfield, but, I trust Dave.

mrGT 1/31/06 05:44 PM

crazyhorse,

It's easy to see that you are a man of integrity....I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

You basically stated what I hope others will say.....they will reward, in some fashion, those dealers that were not greedy when the certainly had the opportunity to do so.

backafter20 1/31/06 06:01 PM

Originally posted by crazyhorse@January 31, 2006, 4:54 PM
IF the dealer has the integrity to sell at MSRP...

How is that a lack of integrity to sell for over MSRP? Taking less when others are offering more is just bad business. (Shafting people on bottled water and gas after a hurricane is lack of integrity.) :dunno: I can't fault the dealers for accepting the highest bid. Is Barret-Jackson dishonest for accepting $600,000 for the first Shelby? Unfortunately, there are just people richer than us out there, which makes us feel like we're losing out or something. In reality there are a lot more people with much less who would like to be us and have a regular GT, or even just any car. It feels better to compare ourselves to them. Besides, it's good to want things you can't have. People who have everything they want are often not happy, although I would be willing to give it a try. :D

crazyhorse 1/31/06 06:43 PM

Originally posted by backafter20@January 31, 2006, 8:04 PM
How is that a lack of integrity to sell for over MSRP? Taking less when others are offering more is just bad business. (Shafting people on bottled water and gas after a hurricane is lack of integrity.) :dunno: I can't fault the dealers for accepting the highest bid. Is Barret-Jackson dishonest for accepting $600,000 for the first Shelby? Unfortunately, there are just people richer than us out there, which makes us feel like we're losing out or something. In reality there are a lot more people with much less who would like to be us and have a regular GT, or even just any car. It feels better to compare ourselves to them. Besides, it's good to want things you can't have. People who have everything they want are often not happy, although I would be willing to give it a try. :D

The car is not intended to be sold above sticker. They are sold in a range from invoice to sticker. Above that is excessive. How many of those dealers are going to tell the customers that they actually have 8-10 coming? very few if any. they will make it sound like the car is super rare. it isn't. they are making 10K+ each year.

Read the threads about dealers. They are all telling the customers they will only get 2 cars. well, BS. We all know better than that.

To me a dealer has integrity when he won't sell to those quick profits because he wants his customers to return for pickups, minivans, family cars and cars for their children. If you like getting porked in the hiney for your car, go ahead and buy from one of them.

1 COBRA 1/31/06 07:20 PM

Originally posted by crazyhorse@January 31, 2006, 9:46 PM
... To me a dealer has integrity when he won't sell to those quick profits because he wants his customers to return...
5 purchases, 3 trade ins, and 9 referrals in the last 5 years. At an average of $750 per transaction (not counting parts, the perks and kickbacks from Ford) my dealer has made good money from me in the last 5 years. I expect a fair deal each time regardless of the model.

I am in agreement with your statement. Loyalty is a two way street.

KBE 1/31/06 08:34 PM

Originally posted by cobrasvt777@January 31, 2006, 11:56 AM
I thought they took the COBRA name out of it and are calling it the Shelby GT500. :jester:

Some people will always refer to it as a Cobra . . . which it is not!

mrGT 2/1/06 06:40 AM

Originally posted by KBE@January 31, 2006, 9:37 PM
Some people will always refer to it as a Cobra . . . which it is not!

Officially it's not.....but it does wear the "Cobra" badging, so I see nothing wrong with calling it a "Cobra".

cobrasvt777 2/1/06 08:32 AM

Officially it's not.....but it does wear the "Cobra" badging, so I see nothing wrong with calling it a "Cobra".
YIP! Very TRUE! I dont see anything wrong with calling it a Cobra either, i was just giving people trouble. :D
However being a Cobra finatic, I sure wish the Cobra name was still kept. :crying:

Black06inGT 2/1/06 08:39 AM

I spoke to a dealer near me and they said it will start at $40,000 with about a $40,000 dealer mark up, that is insane.

Trueweltall 2/1/06 12:53 PM

Id rather slap an SC on a GT for that price. They should have just made the price 50k to begin with lol.

backafter20 2/1/06 03:31 PM

MSRP - Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. There is no "intent". The manufacturer and the dealers are essentially different companies. Under normal circumstances, MSRP is probaby what the market will bear, and what the dealer could get, on average, from the average buyer. Of course, the buyer always feels better when he sees the price come down a bit. It is hard to go up once you put the price on the window. These, however, are not normal circumstances. It is simply that some people want the car more than others and have the means to make sure they get it. I can't imagine having enough money to offer double the sticker price on a car just so I can have it right now. The price will come down eventually, and those who paid a premium might feel screwed, but what they bought was the right to be first. I wouldn't do it, but I still don't see how the dealers are evil when they have suckers banging down the door waving fistfuls of benjamins. Heck, I'd call them stupid for not accepting money that was shoved in their faces. When the "me first" crowd dies down, the price will too, but they're still asking 2k over sticker here for GTs, so it may take awhile.

crazyhorse 2/1/06 04:16 PM

Originally posted by backafter20@February 1, 2006, 5:34 PM
MSRP - Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. There is no "intent". The manufacturer and the dealers are essentially different companies. Under normal circumstances, MSRP is probaby what the market will bear, and what the dealer could get, on average, from the average buyer. Of course, the buyer always feels better when he sees the price come down a bit. It is hard to go up once you put the price on the window. These, however, are not normal circumstances. It is simply that some people want the car more than others and have the means to make sure they get it. I can't imagine having enough money to offer double the sticker price on a car just so I can have it right now. The price will come down eventually, and those who paid a premium might feel screwed, but what they bought was the right to be first. I wouldn't do it, but I still don't see how the dealers are evil when they have suckers banging down the door waving fistfuls of benjamins. Heck, I'd call them stupid for not accepting money that was shoved in their faces. When the "me first" crowd dies down, the price will too, but they're still asking 2k over sticker here for GTs, so it may take awhile.

You don't think it is wrong to mislead a customer into thinking that he won't have a chance to get one of these cars unless he pays 5 or 10 or even 40K over sticker? While, all along the dealer knows he will be getting several of them. People aren't paying over sticker to get the first one. They are paying over because they think they won't get one at all. It irritates me that they are willing to take advantage of people like that.

Barrett-Jackson is a different story. Those are not brand new production vehicles that are soon to be available to the tune of 20-30k cars over the next 2-3 years. Rare and/or superior condition classics deserve a premium and should follow the market price. The GT500 is neither rare nor a classic. IT may have the potential to become a classic in 30 years, but, for now it will depreciate just like any other new car. The over-payers will find themselves upside down on that deal in a hurry.

backafter20 2/1/06 08:49 PM

Ok, Kevin, I do agree that no dealer should be lying or misleading anyone, and if they are intentionally doing so in order to make a high-profit sale, then yes they have no integrity. It's ok to separate a willing and understanding fool from his money, but not one that you've duped. I am not as optomistic as you are as far as the availability on the new Shelby, though. I truly hope that you are correct in that they may depreciate like other cars. I could see buying a used one in that case. I just can't afford it otherwise. When I mentioned Barret-Jackson, I was talking about the new Shelby, not the old collectibles. Seeing what it went for, I can see how maybe they are hyping the rarity a bit. Or maybe the tax-deductible charity thing drove it higher? Anyway, I just noticed your signature and see that you are in line for a new GT500. I hope things work out well for you and you get a decent deal. Drive the snot out of it for a few years, then fix it up and mothball it. It'll be worth a fortune some day. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]