Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

A Clarification - The Shelby's Actual Name...

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/05, 06:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 169stang@March 28, 2005, 7:43 PM
If it isn't called Cobra anywhere in the freakin name, why did they put those snake thingys on the car?
The original Shelby GT500 didn't have Cobra anywhere in its name and still had "snake thingys" on the car.
Old 3/28/05, 06:56 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I call it the GT500
Old 3/28/05, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs down

You guys are 100% wrong. I don't care what a press-kit says. The official name of this car is the Ford Shelby GT 500. Just because it has a snake on it means nothing. Nowhere on the badging of this car does it say Cobra. It has the words Shelby GT 500.

Being a 1967 Shelby GT 500 owner, I have the official Shelby Register with all name combinations. There is no such thing as a Shelby Cobra GT 500. There's a Shelby Cobra and a Shelby GT 500. You can't combine the two. They are two completely different cars. The Shelby Cobra is a ROADSTER, the Shelby GT 500 is a fastback (coupe).

Plese read the first two paragraphs in this Motor Trend article I have attached to this post. It backs up EXACTLY what I am talking about and I can't believe any of you aren't mentioning this since I know almost everyone here has read it. Selective reading, I guess.

Quote: "The official name of this car is the Ford Shelby GT 500."
Quote: "Cobras are two-seat roadsters built by Shelby-American built in the 1960s. ANYTHING else is SOMETHING else."

Sheesh, I don't know what's so tough to understand about this. Personally, I'm happy to see Ford isn't throwing around the Cobra badge like it's a frisbee this time and actually calling the car what it is.

As for those tearing the badges off their car as soon as they get it - go right ahead! You'll never be able to truly prove your car was a Shelby and the value of your Shelby will drop like a rock while mine will soar. In ten/twenty years, these cars will be as sought after as my '67 Shelby GT 500, as this will probably be Carroll's last hurrah. There will be many people trying to pass of regular Mustangs as Shelbys just like right now. Badging and paperwork will be critical to prove your Shelby is genuine. Think before you act, guys.
Old 3/28/05, 07:55 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Dr. Shelby.
Old 3/28/05, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

1968 was the only year where Cobra was in the official name, as In "Shelby Cobra GT500KR", that is the legal titled and advertised name
Old 3/28/05, 08:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@March 28, 2005, 8:52 PM
You guys are 100% wrong. I don't care what a press-kit says. The official name of this car is the Ford Shelby GT 500. Just because it has a snake on it means nothing. Nowhere on the badging of this car does it say Cobra. It has the words Shelby GT 500.

Being a 1967 Shelby GT 500 owner, I have the official Shelby Register with all name combinations. There is no such thing as a Shelby Cobra GT 500. There's a Shelby Cobra and a Shelby GT 500. You can't combine the two. They are two completely different cars. The Shelby Cobra is a ROADSTER, the Shelby GT 500 is a fastback (coupe).

Plese read the first two paragraphs in this Motor Trend article I have attached to this post. It backs up EXACTLY what I am talking about and I can't believe any of you aren't mentioning this since I know almost everyone here has read it. Selective reading, I guess.

Quote: "Cobras are two-seat roadsters built by Shelby-American built in the 1960s. ANYTHING else is SOMETHING else."

Sheesh, I don't know what's so tough to understand about this. Personally, I'm happy to see Ford isn't throwing around the Cobra badge like it's a frisbee this time and actually calling the car what it is.

As for those tearing the badges off their car as soon as they get it - go right ahead! You'll never be able to truly prove your car was a Shelby and the value of your Shelby will drop like a rock while mine will soar. In ten/twenty years, these cars will be as sought after as my '67 Shelby GT 500, as this will probably be Carroll's last hurrah. There will be many people trying to pass of regular Mustangs as Shelbys just like right now. Badging and paperwork will be critical to prove your Shelby is genuine. Think before you act, guys.
It also states if not in name it is the next generation SVT Cobra. Plus this is not a 67' 68' or any 60's Shelby, this is a completely new car and Ford can call it anything they want.
Old 3/28/05, 08:05 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm still hoping they'll make a new shelby cobra roadster, so i'll call this car the Shelby GT500.
Old 3/28/05, 08:06 PM
FR500 Member

I guess they got it wrong then too

Old 3/28/05, 08:07 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by OBleedingMe@March 28, 2005, 9:52 PM

Yup, Ford messed up the Press Kits and the website again. Get Bill Ford on the phone for me. Man, I can't believe they couldn't get this right.

George, I'm gonna take a grinder to get my Cobra badges off....what about you?

Old 3/28/05, 08:10 PM

How about if we call it the "No Name GT500"?
Old 3/28/05, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 28, 2005, 9:09 PM
I guess they got it wrong then too

Well thats because you don't own a 67' Shelby GT500, what would you or the rest of us Know.
Old 3/28/05, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

WOW OBleedingMe, I've never actually witnessed someone putting BOTH feet in their mouth
Old 3/28/05, 08:17 PM
Banned

Thanks for the ... clarification?
Old 3/28/05, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

what ever they wanna call it it is a nice tribute to the ol' guy!

lol 2mff about the kid
Old 3/28/05, 08:28 PM

Perhaps it was a compromise between SVT and Shelby? SVT may have required that the name Cobra be associated with to keep the Cobra alive. Remember, this is an SVT made car, Carroll Shelby provided a name and probably some insight on the car, but bottom line it was SVT engineers that designed this car.
Old 3/28/05, 08:31 PM

Seems like we are having a small degree of difficulty coming to a consensus. Imagine what the dealers' personnel will be put through.

Have you ever seen a chinese stuttering?

"... FO... FO... FO... FORD...
... SHE... SHE... SHE... SHELBY...
... CO... CO... CO... CO... CO... COBRA...
... G... G... G... G... T... T... T...T...
... FI... FI... FI... FIVE...
... HU... HU... HUN... HUN... HUN... HUNDRED...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 3/28/05, 08:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 28, 2005, 9:31 PM
Perhaps it was a compromise between SVT and Shelby? SVT may have required that the name Cobra be associated with to keep the Cobra alive. Remember, this is an SVT made car, Carroll Shelby provided a name and probably some insight on the car, but bottom line it was SVT engineers that designed this car.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 3/28/05, 08:35 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
You mean the Ford Five Hundred sedan?!
Old 3/28/05, 08:35 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
George, still taking those 'Hooked on Phonics" classes? They're really starting to pay off. :P

Old 3/28/05, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@March 28, 2005, 9:34 PM
Seems like we are having a small degree of difficulty coming to a consensus. Imagine what the dealers' personnel will be put through.

Have you ever seen a chinese stuttering?

"... FO... FO... FO... FORD...
... SHE... SHE... SHE... SHELBY...
... CO... CO... CO... CO... CO... COBRA...
... G... G... G... G... T... T... T...T...

Actually most dealers would probably respond, so are you asking about the Ford GT or the Ford Five Hundred?

Quick Reply: A Clarification - The Shelby's Actual Name...