The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   V6 Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f670/)
-   -   Rear axle upgrade (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f670/rear-axle-upgrade-545705/)

PonyS197 6/7/18 01:26 AM

Rear axle upgrade

Ok I have an 07' v6 with 3.73 gears and limited slip already installed. I want to further strengthen the 7.5 rear end with better axle shafts. So I was looking at Moser axles and noticed they dont sell axles specifically for the 7.5 28 spline rear on the mustang. So can I use the the axles for the Ranger because Moser does sell 7.5 28 spline axles for the Ranger?

07 Boss 6/8/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by PonyS197 (Post 7030822)
Ok I have an 07' v6 with 3.73 gears and limited slip already installed. I want to further strengthen the 7.5 rear end with better axle shafts. So I was looking at Moser axles and noticed they dont sell axles specifically for the 7.5 28 spline rear on the mustang. So can I use the the axles for the Ranger because Moser does sell 7.5 28 spline axles for the Ranger?

What rear differential are you going with? I mean if you upgrade the axles, won't you need to change that over too?

PonyS197 6/8/18 03:41 PM

I already have Auburn limited slip diff and 3.73 gears installed. Im looking to upgrade the axle shafts and wanted to know if I could use Moser axle shafts from the Ranger pick up. Moser does not sell axle shafts specifically for the 7.5 in the mustang.

07 Boss 6/8/18 07:12 PM

Oh, so you already have 28 spline axles in there. I wouldn't worry about upgrading. When most people refer to "upgrading" axles it usually means increasing # of splines to add strength. Do you think it's necessary to swap axle brands? How much power are you pushing? Granted I have an 8.8 but I run 580 hp on stock axles. I don't really think moser axles are going to be a stronger steel than the oem, but could be wrong.

PonyS197 6/8/18 08:30 PM

I haven't had It dynoed yet but based on what I have raced and beaten and kept up with I would take a guess around 260hp I know is not a lot. But I do have a set of port polished heads I haven't had the time get on the car yet. I also plan on running a vortech v2 by the end of the year. And yes I know an 8.8 is the way to really go but they'e hard to come by in my area so I started building the 7.5 instead.

PonyS197 6/8/18 08:35 PM

Americanmuscle does offer Yukon axle shafts but I'm not sure if those are built stronger or if they were just OEM replacements. That why I was looking at Moser axles.

07 Boss 6/9/18 12:51 PM

Personally I think you'll be fine with stock axle shafts. IMO there are weaker spots in the drive train that will go before you loose an axle.

EF1 6/9/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by PonyS197 (Post 7030917)
Americanmuscle does offer Yukon axle shafts but I'm not sure if those are built stronger or if they were just OEM replacements. That why I was looking at Moser axles.

I have an 8.8 rear and I would take Yukon axles over Moser's any day. The Moser's are lug centric which is fine for drag racing. The Yukon's are hub centric like the factory axles and much better for road course.

PonyS197 6/9/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by EF1 (Post 7030947)
I have an 8.8 rear and I would take Yukon axles over Moser's any day. The Moser's are lug centric which is fine for drag racing. The Yukon's are hub centric like the factory axles and much better for road course.

ok thanks for the input thats something I didn't know. Then my question is are the Yukon axles built to handle more stress then stock or are they basically just OEM replacements?

EF1 6/9/18 08:07 PM

The Yukons are one piece forged from 1541H steel which is stronger than OEM axles. The splines are also rolled for added strength. They make them for the mustang 7.5" rears with and without abs. I believe that the axles for abs cars already have the abs rings pressed on from the factory so you don't have to try and remove the rings from your old axles or purchase new ones. But honestly, with your horsepower levels you shouldn't have any problems with the stock axles.