The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   V6 Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f670/)
-   -   Novi 1200 Supercharger...Anybody Got One? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f670/novi-1200-supercharger-anybody-got-one-489808/)

GunnyFritz 12/10/10 05:25 AM

Novi 1200 Supercharger...Anybody Got One?

I've been talking to a few buddies who've told me that the Novi 1200 Supercharger is the way to go. It's supposedly a "bolt-on" device that doesn't require all the installation and special tuning that a turbocharger requires. I looked on the Paxton website, and they indicate that they have a reversed model that drives off the accesory belt, eliminating the need for a separate pulley system. Does anyone have one of these? How difficult is it to install? What tuning does it require? Will it run off an essentially stock engine?
R/S
Fritz

SilverHorse-----Racing 3/7/11 02:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Fritz,

This is probably a dead thread, but I was just flipping through and saw this. If you're dead-set on a centrifugal blower, I have nothing to offer - but if not, then by all means you should be checking out the X-Charger setup, same as what we run on my daily driver, Twisted Six. Installation is easy, looks factory, and absolutely everything you need for the install (short of tools and fluids) is included for you. With a 70+ page manual full of pictures, it's the only system we offer for the V6 on our website.

I have had our kit on for ~5k miles now, and have been very pleased with it. It'll take a stock GT in a heads-up match without breaking a sweat, and the sound is quite unique when you're on the boost. When you're not, it goes into compressor bypass, and you can still get 25-27 mpg from the car.

Here's some before / after shots. Expect to set aside a weekend for the install.

GunnyFritz 3/13/11 04:54 PM

It's not dead. Thanks for the reply! I'm interested in the supercharger, but I'm not sure which one to go with. How difficult is the install? Can I do it, or will I need professional assistance? How many of the stock components will I have to switch out? The only mods I've made are a CAI and a Bamako custom tune. Thanks again for the info!
R/S
Fritz
P. S. What's the price?

SilverHorse-----Racing 3/14/11 12:26 PM

Installation is between 6-12 hours depending on your level of experience with basic mechanical work and level of the kit (intercooled or non-intercooled).

If you can change oil, spark plugs, and understand how to use a torque wrench properly, I would submit that you are capable of the installation yourself. the instructions are full-color, with step-by-step photos, and everything, short of fluids and gasket sealer, is included, down to the last nut and bolt. You will need a decent assortment of tools, but nothing crazy, just good basic sockets, wrenches, etc.

Only the stock upper manifold, fuel rails / injectors, and plumbing is removed. Spark plugs and injectors are swapped as well, but as stated above, are included as well. The CAI and tune you have will need to "go", but other than that, it will work for you no problem (kits include a tuner and CAI specific for the supercharger).

Price - 4400-5960 depending upon the level kit you choose. But worth every penny when you can't get traction through 2nd gear with 9.5" wheels after-the-fact when you're "on it" if desired :)

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/car...ategory_id=258

GunnyFritz 3/15/11 05:31 AM

Believe it or not, I'm still on factory warranty! I'd imagine that a mod like that would violate said warranty. I figured I'd wait until the warranty expired to do any major wrench turning on the 'stang. Do you have quite a few of these kits in stock?
R/S
Fritz

GunnyFritz 3/15/11 07:09 AM

I've been looking at your site...lots of very cool stuff!

I have a question. I've been thinking about installing a Scott Injector Hat, like on the Mad Max Interceptor. This would require cutting the hood. Is this even possible with your design?
R/S
Fritz

SilverHorse-----Racing 3/15/11 02:20 PM

Head units are in stock, but kits are "made to order" so it's normally a week or so from order to shipment on these depending on power level, etc.

Yes, as nice as the kit is, it will void the drivetrain portion of your warranty. A small price to pay for up to 375 Hp :) FYI our car had ~10k miles on it when installed, but the risk is worth the benefit in my book. I'm actually glad we didn't wait, I was sick of driving the car with ~200Hp, felt too much like a commuter car...

The Mad Max hood scoop... hmmm... well to make it functional would be a feat, but I'm sure could be fabbed up somehow. The inlet location of the air filter is close to the stock location, and hood clearance is really about the same for supercharged or N/A applications, so if they already have done it with the N/A setup, then going the S/C route wouldn't be a big deal. But it would require some one-off fab work I'm sure to integrate it all together.

Torch_Vert 3/16/11 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing (Post 6030719)
But worth every penny when you can't get traction through 2nd gear with 9.5" wheels after-the-fact when you're "on it" if desired :)

Agreed. That's the sort of "problem" that always makes me smile :grin:

GunnyFritz 3/20/11 05:53 PM

Please explain what the intercooler does. Why isn't this item included in the kit? Is it necessary? I can make assumptions based on the name.
Thanks,
Fritz

SilverHorse-----Racing 3/20/11 07:41 PM

The Intercooler cools the air charge after it has been compressed by the supercharger's rotors. All air compressors, regardless of design, heat the air as they compress it. The reason it is an option rather than standard across the line is price and because if you're just doing around town driving all the time, and don't need to extract every last horsepower out of the car, it's not absolutely required. But if you're going to be doing continued, "spirited" driving with it, and would like to have the most boost available at all times, then the intercooler option is the way to go.

With the intercooler, you can run more boost safely because you have greater control over the IAT, and it can be sustained for longer periods of time. Without it, the engine can experience "heat soak" from continued high boost, causing the computer to pull spark back in an effort to combat detonation.

Hope that helps.

GunnyFritz 3/21/11 05:32 AM

Yes it does...thanks! I appreciate the information. I've learned alot. When I'm ready, I'll come see you.
R/S
Fritz

SilverHorse-----Racing 3/21/11 06:22 AM

No problem. That's part of why we test everything here first, so we can help you make an informed decision.