V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Help! MP3 Idiot!

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/05, 04:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I would like to introduce myself to you. I'm the your village idiot ready to serve you! Anyway onto my story. Yesturday I decided to test out the MP3 capabilites of my 05 stang so i whipped together a quick CD of different MP3 songs. I saw on the head unit that you could select different "folders" on your CD. So I organized my different songs and threw them into categorical folders. I went and burned the CD using a software program that had a MP3 buring stuff. Then I hop out to my stang to see if it works, NOPE! I press the next folder button and it says to me "No Folders". I'm like WHAT THE HECK!!?! It's reading it but it just doesnt play any music.... When I clicked the next track thing it just made a very HIGH pitch screech out of the speakers.. I havent tried just buring a CD with nothing but MP3 songs on it without using the folders. So my question is, what am i doing wrong? I just created folders off my computer and took the folders and inserted them with my CD burner software. Do you think that is the problem? How else could i put the folders onto the CD? Just transfer them over by cutting and pasting the files onto the drive? Thanks guys for all the future help u will bring me!
Old 5/18/05, 04:20 PM
Cobra R Member

if you have windows xp, thats exactly how you would do it, just copy the folders over, and it will burn them. Make sure you have good mp3's too that you are burning.
Old 5/18/05, 04:21 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I usually just drag the folders into the drive and it works fine.
Old 5/18/05, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

what software are you using?

if you have the usual software for burning CD's (easy cd creator, Nero, etc) you should have a few options as to how you want the disc to be burned (disc at once, track at once, session open, close session, file table type either joliet or iso9660)
for the best compatability use the following:

file table: Joliet
Session:close disc after burning(prevents further writing, and closes the discs Table of contents)
if you are using adaptec directCD make sure you make the disc readable by most CD rom drives (this closes the session, prevents further writing, and finalizes the Table of contents on the disc)

also make sure you're MP3 files are not way too high, or way too low bitrate. the general rule with MP3 compression is it compresses (192 kbps bitrate standard) to about 1 MB per minute of music, so if you have a 3 minute song the file size should be about 3 meg. if the file size is under a meg, or over 6 meg for a three minute song it could potentially freak out the decoding chipset on your deck.

also use CDR discs without a stick on label (these can rip off and gum up your mechanical components causing a lack of tunage)

also you can put songs in order by naming them appropriately (it is a pain, but i am writing a piece of software to make it easy). for instance the deck will play the songs in the order of their ascii characters hierarchy
ex.

symbols before numbers
then numbers sequentially by decimal order
and lastly letters alphabetically

so if you want to put songs in order (and you want to have more than 100 songs on a disc) you can name them with a 3 digit prefix
001 - van halen-0u812-track1.mp3
002 - George thorogood-you cant catch me.mp3
003 - Muddy waters-Mannish boy.mp3

and so on and so on.

I will be releasing my software in a few days if anybody wants to play with it i will put it up on my site, and just ask donations for mustang source users if they want to get it

hope this helps!

let me know how you make out, and if you need anymore help i will be glad to help out.
Old 5/18/05, 04:46 PM
GT Member

WOW! You guys rock! Thanks alot!

**Faber- Yes i finalized the CD**
Old 5/19/05, 12:37 PM
GT Member

Okay, I know even less about MP3 technology, but I'm excited about getting my car next month and I want to figure out the MP3 stuff so the 6 CDs I can insert have more than 5 hours of music on them.

One question -- I got the Shaker 500 system and the upgraded Interior package (don't know if that's relevant).

How can I -- assuming I figure out how to burn the MP3 disc -- find a particlar song or even a particular album on the system? Is there an index that's easy to read while I'm driivng 80 mph and sipping coffee?

I have about 150 CDs that I would want in the car, so I know I need to consoldate them. I'd like to do that over the next 3 weeks. How many MP3 discs would it take (approximately) and am I buying standard audio CDRs and making MP3s on them?

See, I know nothing about this. Help please.
Old 5/19/05, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fellser@May 19, 2005, 1:40 PM
Okay, I know even less about MP3 technology, but I'm excited about getting my car next month and I want to figure out the MP3 stuff so the 6 CDs I can insert have more than 5 hours of music on them.

One question -- I got the Shaker 500 system and the upgraded Interior package (don't know if that's relevant).

How can I -- assuming I figure out how to burn the MP3 disc -- find a particlar song or even a particular album on the system? Is there an index that's easy to read while I'm driivng 80 mph and sipping coffee?

I have about 150 CDs that I would want in the car, so I know I need to consoldate them. I'd like to do that over the next 3 weeks. How many MP3 discs would it take (approximately) and am I buying standard audio CDRs and making MP3s on them?

See, I know nothing about this. Help please.

Unfortunatly there's no easy way to scroll through them. If you organize them into folders you can search by them that way, but once in the folder you have to go manually from song to song.

Any standard CD-R disc will work.
Old 5/21/05, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also be sure to burn them as data disk not audio if your using something like easy cd creator.