V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

GT Mufflers on true duals for 2008 V6?

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/17, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question GT Mufflers on true duals for 2008 V6?

For everyone that's done this mod: Which hangers did you use?

I have the GT take-offs, and I'm planning to use a Walker/Dynomax 53702 x-pipe and 55517 & 55518 midpipes to install a true dual setup. But the hanger situation is kinda confusing.

If anybody has any tips or recommendations from their V-6 true dual experience, I'd appreciate it

Thanks!
Old 3/3/17, 11:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I haven't been on this site much but if you haven't done this yet, I'll give you your information you need.

First off, you don't need the right side intermediate pipe. The factory v6 pipe is the exact same pipe. The hangers are the same for the 6 and V8. You just need to buy the parts for the V6 right side, and use them on the left. Make sure that you read the directions for where to cut the Y pipe. MT and AT cut at different spots. Other than that, it is a simple 45 minute job on a rack with hand tools.

I've had mine on since 2009, using Walker Dynomax pipes, and GT take offs. I ended up using t/o's from a manual transmission. The sound is quite nice with the MT mufflers. Lots less drone than the ones from the automatics. I had the AT ones on first, but a buddy gave me his MT ones and the sounds were totally different. No drone at 70 where the AT ones were humming at that speed.
The following users liked this post:
CtCarl (3/4/17)
Old 3/4/17, 09:44 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

The problem on my car is that the previous owner hacked up the exhaust system to the point where nothing except the Y-pipe looks original. There's some sort of crappy aftermarket muffler and hangers on there now that rattle, vibrate, and bear no resemblance to the originals. It looks like the intermediate pipe was replaced with a non-stainless unit.

I was very interested to read about your experience with the M/T vs A/T mufflers. I did look for and buy the M/T units, I had read that they were the way to go, but never really learned why except that they sounded better.

Having actually run both, you have valuable experience and your info should probably be in a sticky somewhere. At least now that you posted in this thread, other folks doing a search should be able to find it.
Old 3/6/17, 06:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation X-pipe

I happen to have one of these in my garage BRAND NEW never used

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...FUeHswodvNQF6A

$60 without clamps and I'll meet you half way in Massachusetts.
Old 3/8/17, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by karman
I happen to have one of these in my garage BRAND NEW never used

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...FUeHswodvNQF6A

$60 without clamps and I'll meet you half way in Massachusetts.
Thanks, but that's a GT part, and I have a 4.0 with a y-pipe.
Old 5/6/17, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a all stainless system with GT takeoff mufflers on my car many years ago. I went with a H pipe, but I think to answer your question, there are no hangers on the pipes till you get to the mufflers. I tried aftermarket hangers that I got with my H pipe kit and they sucked. Ended up going with OEM factory muffler hangers for a GT from the dealer. The V6 muffler had a extra bracket on it.
If I recall, they are a PITA to install, but they have been great for many years and still solid.
Old 5/8/17, 07:22 PM

Thanks, I've come to the conclusion that I'll use OEM Ford hangers. They're, like $50 each, though...$200 for four hangers is absolutely crazy money.

I know some folks have gotten away with using just one hanger per side. Did you go with one or two on each side?
Old 5/8/17, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Theres 2 on each side for oem gt takeoffs, one on each welded bar. It might seam like alot, but its a one time deal and they fit and hang just right. I dont remember if they are the same hanger on the v6 muffler(if I recall it had a 3rd hanger the gt`s dont have), take a look, pretty sure you might just be looking at buying 2 if they are still on there

Last edited by amustangrocks; 5/8/17 at 08:31 PM.
Old 5/8/17, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

With the H pipe and I imagine a X pipe too but Ive never used one, you`ll have to cut the Y pipe to install either one. Theres also a pipe size change that comes into play right there too between the pipe off the converter, and the pipe that runs to the mufflers.

In my case the cat pipe fits into my H and the H fits into the pipes running to the mufflers (I wanna guess it went from 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" but its been a long time and I`m old
Old 5/9/17, 06:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
American Muscle has the hangers for $50 for two.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...s-hangers.html
CtCarl (12/3/17)
Old 5/12/17, 06:39 PM

Found this instruction sheet online for the Dynomax 39434 kit:

http://www.dynomax.com/downloads/ins...structions.pdf

It looks like the 53702 pipe is swaged to fit over the Y-pipe once it's cut. I guess I just need that, the two intermediate pipes, clamps, and hangers.
Old 11/21/17, 07:19 AM

Thought I'd update this thread in case anyone looking to do this swap stumbles across it.

I used the MT GT mufflers (labeled "GOG"), a Walker/Dynomax 53702 x-pipe and 55517 & 55518 midpipes, with four stainless hangers from AM (thanks, Gary!)

A number of folks have said that you can get away with one hanger per side to save money, but everything was very tight under there and I didn't want any rattles.

The end result was holy-mother-of-pearl loud, at least inside the car. I don't get it, it doesn't make any sense to me, but there it is all the same. And there's resonance from around 1500-2500 RPM, especially under light load. This isn't a sensitivity issue...my other Mustang is a 5.0 Fox with an original Motorsport Off-Road Exhaust Kit, and I love it.

I took out the rear seat (two pushbuttons and about 30 seconds) and covered every inch of the exposed sheet metal with Frost King Duct Insulation (A.K.A., "The Poor Man's Dynamat"). Then I took out the trunk mat, used it as a pattern and cut a thick felt carpet pad (rubberized on one side to prevent sliding around) as well as an OxGord Weather Shield Trunk Mat. I sandwiched the original liner between the felt pad and the rubber mat and put them back in.

Between my soundproofing work and whatever amount of breaking-in the mufflers have done, it's tolerable now. Sounds pretty good at WOT and (I'm told) drive-by. But I'm pretty sure my neighbors still think it's obnoxious.

If I had it to do over again, I'd be tempted to try the AT (AOA) GT mufflers. They're supposed to be a three-pass design as opposed to the two-pass MT mufflers, which makes sense when you think about it. I imagine that drone is generally a bigger problem with an automatic. But I'd definitely want to talk to akdoggie first, after his experience with both kinds.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread!
garyb900 (11/21/17)