V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Coffin muffler

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/05, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seemed to have a good sound in that clip I heard a while back. Haven't heard much of 'em lately. Anyone get one? How do you like it?
Old 5/4/05, 04:06 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Defiants Review

Did you read this already?
Old 5/4/05, 04:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

WOW that's a V6!!!
My 1st and next mod for sure!!!
Old 5/4/05, 04:28 PM
GT Member

Im having trouble getting to the site that the sound clip is actually on. Any suggestions, like what my web settings should be?
Old 5/4/05, 04:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm not a computer guy but here it is quoted

Hi guys,

Well, the Coffin Muffler arrived on Wednesday afternoon and I could barely wait until the next morning to go to the local Meineke to have it installed (my father insisted even though it's a bolt on). Jimmy the muffler guy did a great job... it took him all of 45 minutes to do the job.

The muffler sounds amazing, richer and deeper than the first sound clips would have you expect. Jimmy the muffler guy said, and I quote "holy poo, that sounds like a Flowmaster... it sounds better than Flowmaster's!" I brought the car by work to show my boss and he was thrilled to jump into the driver's seat and floor it a few times, grinning and giggling like a little boy as the rear end hopped about a bit. "You got a GT now!" he said. And my dad was fighting to keep a smile off his face as I pulled into the driveway revving and grinning like an idiot.

I'd describe the sound of the muffler as enhancing the stock sound... it doesn't make the car sound like a farting rice rocket, it just gives the exhaust note a longer, deeper growl-ier tone. The sound from inside the cabin is no different than stock at idle, it comes up around 15-20 mph with a throaty grumble that warns off any nearby crotchrockets then when you push it to WOT, it really growls!

All I can think about now is getting back in that car and driving it! Not only does it sound like heck-on-wheels, there's a definite increase in throttle response too. The whole car seems to want to rev and is always itching to move. It is much more forgiving in 1st gear and it absolutely flies on the highway. I felt like I was pushing it around 85 or so before, now I get up to 85 easily and am beginning to wonder what lurks at the speed limiter and beyond.

http://www.terrence-mann.com/mustang/muffl...ds/idle-kim.mp3
http://www.terrence-mann.com/mustang/muffl...nds/rev-kim.mp3

I wish I could offer more than these two sounds for an update, but I work Friday through Monday and there's been a lot going on lately. It should be noted I used a similar device to the one Kevin used on his v8 and v6 auto. I just positioned it 6 feet away at eye level where someone would be standing to listen to it. Please note that the crackle sound in the rev recording does not happen when I'm actually driving the car... only when I sit there and rev it. Jimmy the muffler guy did not disconnect the battery (to reset the computer) so the crackling may diminish some after I do so.

I will be posting some new pictures hopefully tommorrow... in the meantime I would be happy to answer any questions!

--=K
does that help?
Old 5/4/05, 04:32 PM
Queen Of Nascar

The sound clips play on my computer using QuickTime.
Old 5/4/05, 04:35 PM
GT Member

Okay, heard it. Now where do I get one?
Old 5/4/05, 05:41 PM
Queen Of Nascar

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=14734

email: clevparts@aol.com
Old 5/4/05, 06:40 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
http://terrence-mann.com/mustang/muffler/ Sound Clips Actual Driving not on a Dyno!
Old 6/3/05, 09:46 PM
The Analog Admin!

http://terrence-mann.com/mustang/muffler/v6.html
Old 6/17/05, 07:54 PM
V6 Member

Hey guys I'm still around... wanted to update you all on my muffler. It's been what... a good 2 months since I put it on and I'm still enjoying terrorizing the locals.

Let me just say, with the sound of this exhaust seems to come automatic respect on the roads... people very seldom cut out in front of me and I have had a half dozen experiences where the car in front of me has pulled over and waved me by. I gather each time they were either afraid I'd ride right over them (which honestly I would never do -- I am an aggressive yet extremely courteous driver) or else they seemed to want to watch me roar off past them. The sound of this thing turns heads -- especially when you really open it up. I had the opportunity to race a Miata a few weeks ago and dear god if the wail of my baby wasn't the sweetest sound in the world! (I don't make a habit of street racing at all -- this was my second red light dance in ten years)

Half the compliments I get on the car are about the color and body style and the other half are on the sound of the muffler. I love the growl that car gives when you turn the key -- it is very distinctive and as many people have corroborated, sounds a LOT like a V8. My dogs have actually learned the exact note of my exhaust and start their "mommy dance" moments after they hear me pull into the driveway.

So to sum it up, I'm still happy with the Coffin. I've had to crawl underneath and give it a jiggle once or twice to eliminate resonance rattling but after each adjustment it's good as new... and I think it's only fair to note that the weather around here has been batshiat crazy lately... 90 degrees one day, 65 the next!

--=K

PS Oh and I almost forgot -- the crackly sound from the sound clips did in fact disappear once I reset the PCM. It only burbles like that for maybe 2-3 minutes in the morning when I start it up for the first time all day. I will try to get better sound clips asap.
Old 6/17/05, 09:48 PM

I have one sitting on my sofa, taunting me. I can't install til Sunday. The sound clips sold me & Defiant's review awhile back topped it off. I just bought a house & spent a lot of my mod savings on house junk, and last week I flipped out: no more touching up the house, back to touching up the CAR. So the coffin's on the couch, K&N filter is in the mail, and Blue gets new rubber Monday.

I'm just about to hit 3,000 miles on a totally stock car, and the coffin's going to be the first change I make. I'm looking forward to reporting back.

-Bel
Old 6/18/05, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

The coffin muffler needs to come with a KISS emblem on it or something.
Old 6/21/05, 09:43 PM

I'd get behind a KISS emblem, yeah, heh!

I installed mine Sunday - v6 manual coupe. Haven't had time to post about it until tonight because I couldn't get out of the car - been finding excuses to drive everywhere.

Easy install, perfect fit. Fired it up once to check for leaks and then unhooked the battery for ten mins.

And then I took her out on the road. I tell you, I've been loving my car,
but it's three times as much fun now. I tore through the gears. Some guy
were fishing off the bridge and they turned when I came around the curve,
and by the time I passed them they were *cheering.* Pretty funny.

Car seemed stronger, but that was probably because I was driving it harder - too fun NOT to.

It's pretty darn loud inside the car during accelleration, and I love that. Comfortable noise level at cruising speed, not distracting at all. Drones in the cabin @2300rpms, but I'm rarely there, and when I am, I just feel like I'm piloting a jet for a minute, and that ain't bad.

Not ricey or fartcan-blappy at all: it's got a gutteral rumble, exactly what I wanted for this car. I'd say the sound clips posted around here are an accurate representation of the sound.

I'm prone to buyer's remorse when I buy groceries, even - did I really need the buy one, get one free bread? - but not with this. I'm LOVING it and when I go to duals down the line, will use two coffins.

~Bel
Old 6/22/05, 09:51 AM
The Analog Admin!

Old 6/22/05, 12:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by hamidlmt@June 18, 2005, 8:57 AM
The coffin muffler needs to come with a KISS emblem on it or something.
or Misfits!
Old 6/22/05, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by yur1279@June 22, 2005, 1:39 PM
or Misfits!
Im all over the Misfits emblem.
Old 6/22/05, 08:11 PM

I'm actually a little-known horror author, so having a *coffin* muffler is kind of embarrassingly cliche.

Misfits would be the best, that's for sure.
Old 7/1/05, 11:06 PM
The Analog Admin!

http://terrence-mann.com/mustang/muffler/v6.html

The Coffin is still Getting Great Feedback ck the Ebay Listing for Customer Reviews!

kc
Old 7/8/05, 03:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Defiant@June 17, 2005, 8:57 PM
I've had to crawl underneath and give it a jiggle once or twice to eliminate resonance rattling but after each adjustment it's good as new... and I think it's only fair to note that the weather around here has been batshiat crazy lately... 90 degrees one day, 65 the next!
Just wanted to update everyone on this -- after going to two shops and a gearhead friend for advice we've figured out that the rattling I mentioned has NOTHING to do with the muffler. Apparently something metal is loose/broken behind the rear right quarter panel. Thanks go to Mike at Mustang Magic who was kind enough not to charge me a cent for this bit of detective work.

--=K

Quick Reply: Coffin muffler