V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

AFE Cold Air Intake SYstem

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/06, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
afixer was the first one to get the kit (I believe his car was used as a gunea pig by AFE AFE did a dyno on his car and got the gains of 12 hp/11ftlbs without a tune! Supposedly they can do it by placing the MAF sensor just right and using high quality materials (the kit does look well made and has a good quality feel to it). The gains could be true or close to it I don't think anybody else did a true back to back dyno runs with this kit. However, ss someone in an another post said, in some cituations throttle response matters more than raw HP. Given same HP in cars A and B, but better throttle response in car A, it'll take off faster due to less lag and as a result will outrun car B.

Originally posted by flight96@January 23, 2006, 3:38 PM
Thanks AvtoLubitel !!

On the site they claim...
Is this with a tune?? It doesn't say. If not what is the gain with a tune? A definate must is the need to get rid of the torque limiter, so im guessing a tune is the only way to fix that issue. But still, an extra 12hp and 11ftlbs would be a good start !!
Old 1/24/06, 09:40 PM
GT Member

If you bought the AFE / Diablo kit from RPM, send your original tune backup file to George at RPM and he will make the changes to compensate for the intake and send it back to you.
He did mine and it seems to help some over the 87 octane tune the tuner came with, although it is still not able to break the tires loose. It seems to pull harder from 10mph up and has a better sound. Don't know if it was really worth $500 though. When I have some more cash I may dual the exhaust and try an underdrive pulley, but I think that's about it for performance mods. Would have bought the GT if I wanted to have a race car.
Old 1/25/06, 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by the cable guy@January 24, 2006, 11:43 PM
If you bought the AFE / Diablo kit from RPM, send your original tune backup file to George at RPM and he will make the changes to compensate for the intake and send it back to you.
He did mine and it seems to help some over the 87 octane tune the tuner came with, although it is still not able to break the tires loose. It seems to pull harder from 10mph up and has a better sound. Don't know if it was really worth $500 though. When I have some more cash I may dual the exhaust and try an underdrive pulley, but I think that's about it for performance mods. Would have bought the GT if I wanted to have a race car.
Do you have automatic by chance? If so, the Diablo unit does't manage the torque converter very well (thus the reason you can't break the tires loose).
Old 1/25/06, 07:39 PM
GT Member

Do you think the X-Cal 2 alone would make that big of an improvement over the Diablo?
I have the auto; almost bought the 5 spd but I went for the automatic due to the hope of extra resale value later and a little more comfort.
If I knew I was going to get the performance gain I would probably e-bay the Diablo and buy an X-Cal 2.

What kind of gas mileage is anybody getting with the AFE intake and X-Cal 2 tunes with an automatic? I run about 27-28 mpg on the highway right now with the AFE intake and the tune I got from RPM for it.
Old 1/25/06, 07:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Ive heard the sct2 is eons better then the diablo when it comes to the auto
Old 1/27/06, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Does the SCT2 have a tune for the AFE CAI?
Old 1/28/06, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by flight96@January 27, 2006, 12:53 PM
Does the SCT2 have a tune for the AFE CAI?
according to AfE there is no tune required. When Doug installed my tunes I dont think he did anything for the intake (I would have to ask hiim to verify this but I am pretty sure about it). I do not however, get a CEL.
Tommy