GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Variable Cam Timing Solenoid - Failed?

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/06, 08:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
It was already determined it was the cam timing solenoid that failed ? It had nothing to do with the oil control solenoid
How do you think the Variable Cam Timing system works? One of the 2 VCT oil control solenoid was shown in the tech's photographs at the dealership. Those solenoids regulate the flow of engine oil into the phaser cavities to advance/retard the camshaft timing. Again, I don't think they would allow enough timing to cause catastrophic failure of the valvetrain in the event of a VCT oil control solenoid failure. Hopefully the dealership tech used a borescope to examine the piston tops to make sure there was no PTV contact.
Old 12/11/06, 08:15 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scramblr
Hell, I'm just impressed they fixed it under warranty with your mods. Are they normally mod friendly? Good on ya...glad you got her fixed!!!
This is the dealer I purchased the car from - I've known them for a long time and they have always treated me very very well. They're located in a small town about an hour from me, but it's worth the trip for the service. They are 'mod friendly' to a degree...if some punk came in trying to rip them off, they'd know better but they've known my car from the start and have always been very accomodating. They know all my mods and are totally reasonable in terms of parts failure vs. the mods I've done. There's no reason that a CAI and tune should have made this part fail, so they had no issues at all.

Heck, they even let me PDI my own car (I guess it's less work for them, so everyone wins)
Attached Images