The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Suspension Packages? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/suspension-packages-455433/)

RedDragon777 7/24/07 04:11 PM

Suspension Packages?

Ok i am looking to do a full suspension upgrade, and i do not really want to do alot of mix and matching even though i think that will either be cheaper or easier but i really want something i can get in and install quickly. I am looking at the FRPP kit, Roush, and Saleen kits and i want something that will lower the car but not too low and will handle way better than stock. I know this car will see more road courses than it will drag racing. I want something that will handle awesome on the streets and be able to handle its own on a track. all opinions welcome.

Glenn 7/24/07 04:51 PM

as far as kits go I like the saleen

2K7 Vista GT 7/24/07 05:14 PM

I had the dealer install the FRPP Handling Pack on mine before taking delivery. I absolutely love the way it handles and looks. Just my $0.02:nice:

JonW 7/24/07 05:32 PM

Avoid the FRPP pack on a street-driven car. Every review I have read says it handles great on the track, but is murder on ride quality. And don't think that you have to buy a package to get excellent results, or to have ease of installation.

Call Kevin at Piedmont Modular Performance. Tell him what your goals are for the car and how you plan to drive it. He put together a "mix n match" package for me that I like very well, using CHE and BMR parts. And the price was right. Between his parts and the Goodyear F1 tires, my car handles like it has glue on the tires, and I gave up very little ride quality. See my sig pic for details. D-Spec Tokicos are coming this fall to complete the package.

As you can see, my car is not lowered. If you want to lower your car for looks, that's one thing. But don't think you have to lower it to get excellent handling response. My goal with my car is to have a great-handling car on the street, with minimal negative impact on ride quality, and one I can take to the track and have fun. Yes, I could probably decrease my lap times by a couple of seconds if the car was lowered (on a 2-mile track). But I chose to give up those hypothetical 2 seconds to have a better ride the 98% of the time I'm not on the track. And no matter what anyone says, lowering the car will stiffen the ride. Am I saying I will never, ever lower my car? No, but not until I get many more laps under my belt. Am I saying lowering your car is a bad thing? Absolutely not. It's just a matter of how much money you want to spend and how much you're willing to compromise.

My advice is to call Kevin, install his package, install the D-Specs, then try the car for a while and see how you like it. If you still think you need to lower it, go for it.

AFChief 7/24/07 05:43 PM

Tillman set me up. I "upgraded" his recommended pack with D-specs.

BMR sways and panhard
Steeda Ultralight springs (lowered 1.5 in nicely)
D-specs

5 hours to install with a lunch break.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...4Jun070009.jpg

kevinb120 7/24/07 05:55 PM

I would say a mix and match 'package' is fine. Just find the balance between good components and adjustable everything over complicated setups. AFChief's setup sounds pretty good for the $$ The ultralites are a pretty mild drop so the geometry doesn't get far enough out of whack to require LCA relocation brackets and a lot of other jazz. You can go with the ultralites or BMR's springs with the lesser drop(they make 2 versions).

RedDragon777 7/24/07 07:02 PM

i was thinking something like this but without the subframe connectors
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/05Mustang/HPE002.jpg

I did test drive a Shelby GT and dang i loved it and the ride to me was smoother and tighter than my stock setup that is why i started considering a new suspension and i wanted something for using at the track.

cati 7/24/07 07:12 PM

I have an FRPP pack and its fine, the ride is a little harder, but it is good and tight on the corners. No axle tramp and for the price point good value for money

Whichever route you go down just make sure the person blending knows what he is doing.

Would I fit FRPP again - you bet

Error404 7/24/07 07:54 PM

I just had BMR level 1 Handling and level 1 Rear Control Arm packages installed on mine. I really like it! The car got about 1 inch lower (from what I can tell), so still quite streetable on normal roads and driveways. That was a consern of mine as well, not wanting to the car to get to low.

I would give BMR a look! http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangPACKAGES.htm scroll down and you'll find the handling and rear control arm packages.

RobK 7/24/07 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by JonW (Post 969856)
Avoid the FRPP pack on a street-driven car. Every review I have read says it handles great on the track, but is murder on ride quality. And don't think that you have to buy a package to get excellent results, or to have ease of installation.

Call Kevin at Piedmont Modular Performance. Tell him what your goals are for the car and how you plan to drive it. He put together a "mix n match" package for me that I like very well, using CHE and BMR parts. And the price was right. Between his parts and the Goodyear F1 tires, my car handles like it has glue on the tires, and I gave up very little ride quality. See my sig pic for details. D-Spec Tokicos are coming this fall to complete the package.

As you can see, my car is not lowered. If you want to lower your car for looks, that's one thing. But don't think you have to lower it to get excellent handling response. My goal with my car is to have a great-handling car on the street, with minimal negative impact on ride quality, and one I can take to the track and have fun. Yes, I could probably decrease my lap times by a couple of seconds if the car was lowered (on a 2-mile track). But I chose to give up those hypothetical 2 seconds to have a better ride the 98% of the time I'm not on the track. And no matter what anyone says, lowering the car will stiffen the ride. Am I saying I will never, ever lower my car? No, but not until I get many more laps under my belt. Am I saying lowering your car is a bad thing? Absolutely not. It's just a matter of how much money you want to spend and how much you're willing to compromise.

My advice is to call Kevin, install his package, install the D-Specs, then try the car for a while and see how you like it. If you still think you need to lower it, go for it.

They re-valved the FRPP shocks/struts earlier this year. It's far less harsh on the street than it was. You are correct that the earlier variant would shake your teeth out.

RedDragon777 7/24/07 10:13 PM

i am really thinking about the FRPP kit with the BMR control arm package or just all BMR

GRAYPNY 7/24/07 10:33 PM

You can check my sig for my suspension mods and I'm happy.