GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Should I get a CAI w/ tune required or without?

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/11, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get a CAI w/ tune required or without?

So I recently just put and axle back exhaust on my new 08 GT and now I'm ready for my next mod. I was looking for the next thing to increase horsepower and torque. What do you guys think about CAI. I've seen ones that require tune for ~$550 and ones without tune for like ~$300. It seems like ones without tune get you around +15HP and with tune around +30HP. Is the CAI that require tune worth it or lead to increased difference as opposed to a CAI that doesn't require tune. I also was thinking about a new throttle body for for around $300 and that is supposedly to give a +30HP increase. What do you guys think of this and recommend? I wouldn't do a CAI and throttle body, just one of them for now. Didn't know if throttle body is better first or CAI.
Old 10/14/11, 02:43 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the CAIs without a tune you will see then saying up to 15hp. The ones with a tune will more often say 30hp or what ever. The non tune ones have equal value as a k&n drop in filter.
Old 10/14/11, 03:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many don't feel the throttle bodies are needed until you go F/I. I would get a CAI/tuner package. That way you can return to stock if needed and get the most out of future upgrades. Do it once and do it right. C&L and JLT are two of the best and most popular. I have a used C&L inlet tube with a Mac filter I could sell you. If you buy a tuner you can get tunes for life from American Muscle or Brenspeed.

Last edited by ETNOATS; 10/14/11 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10/14/11, 03:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A cold air with no tune and same size MAF won't net you but MAYBE 3hp.
Definitely go for one that requires a tune.
Old 10/14/11, 03:33 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

my steeda setup on my 09 was amazing!!

Old 10/14/11, 03:37 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I'm guessing eveyone understands why these intakes require tunes right? You understand the extra HP isn't from the intake, but the tune itself right???
Old 10/14/11, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I get that, the tune just allows for the larger amount air coming into the engine therefore more performance, basically. I was looking at this http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-0509gt.html. I could get this and then get a tune later on if need be to get the most out of it. I just want to get the best performance for the money.

ETNOATS, how much for them? You can PM if you'd like.
Old 10/14/11, 04:00 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by tu3218
Yeah I get that, the tune just allows for the larger amount air coming into the engine therefore more performance, basically. I was looking at this http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-0509gt.html. I could get this and then get a tune later on if need be to get the most out of it. I just want to get the best performance for the money.

ETNOATS, how much for them? You can PM if you'd like.
Nope. Not the reason it needs the tune wanna guess again?
Old 10/14/11, 04:10 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Old 10/14/11, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

hmm well I thought since its a larger diameter, therefore more flow of air into the engine meaning it would distort the air to fuel ratio. The tune corrects the ratio allowing the correct ratio? Maybe lol
Old 10/14/11, 04:19 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

hmm well I thought since its a larger diameter, therefore more flow of air into the engine meaning it would distort the air to fuel ratio. The tune corrects the ratio allowing the correct ratio? Maybe lol
Lol close! But the mass air flow and oxygen sensors correct the air fuel ratio. The stock tune does that? Want another shot?? Getting pretty close!
Old 10/14/11, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gives me additional HP and more fun haha I'm not sure, I always thought it was for the adjustment of the air ratio into the engine and to prevent any engine lights. I'm out of guesses lol
Old 10/14/11, 04:41 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Gives me additional HP and more fun haha I'm not sure, I always thought it was for the adjustment of the air ratio into the engine and to prevent any engine lights. I'm out of guesses lol
Well ill tell you then

The intakes that require a tune have a larger mass air flow sensor. Therefore that sensor is going to read different voltages than the stock one. Intakes that do not require a tune use the stock sensor therefore the voltage readings will be the same
Old 10/14/11, 05:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I wouldn't get the air raid to be honest. The two best systems for the 05-09 GT are the JLT and the C&L ... The new JLT Series 3 is supposed to be WAY better than the older Series 2 and the C&L Racer is also a great system! You cant really go wrong with either of the two. Also it would be cheaper if you got the combo in the long run or else you have to pay for the CAI and the tune separately instead of getting a discount by buying the both of them together. I would get them both at the same time plus you get free tunes for life, which saves a lot of money in the long run if you plan on doing more mods. Also like previously said there is no need for a new throttle body as the stock throttle body flows enough cfms to support up to 500+ hp unless you want a show piece than you can get the FRPP one
Old 10/14/11, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Okay that makes sense. But its probably best to get one with a tune? What do you think of the one I posted a link to. I have to save up some first, especially if I'm getting one with a tune.
Old 10/14/11, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
I wouldn't get the air raid to be honest. The two best systems for the 05-09 GT are the JLT and the C&L ... The new JLT Series 3 is supposed to be WAY better than the older Series 2 and the C&L Racer is also a great system! You cant really go wrong with either of the two. Also it would be cheaper if you got the combo in the long run or else you have to pay for the CAI and the tune separately instead of getting a discount by buying the both of them together. I would get them both at the same time plus you get free tunes for life, which saves a lot of money in the long run if you plan on doing more mods. Also like previously said there is no need for a new throttle body as the stock throttle body flows enough cfms to support up to 500+ hp unless you want a show piece than you can get the FRPP one
Awesome thanks, a lot of info I was looking for. I'll probably just wait a little more then and get the money together so I can get what's best and will save me money in the long run.
Old 10/14/11, 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The cai themselves don't give you the hp. The tune does. In fact all the cai's are within a few hp of each other.. Its all in the tune,. Get the one you like the best and then get a dyno tune. Don't believe that one cai is better then another brand. To prove it.. I have the one everyone says is the 'worse' out there. The Ford racing 'bullet' cai and a dyno tune. No other mods. Almost 290 hp and 310 ft lbs torque at the rear wheels. Ill bet that pretty much the highest increase anyone has with any cia out there. Its all in the tune..
Old 10/14/11, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
The cai themselves don't give you the hp. The tune does. In fact all the cai's are within a few hp of each other.. Its all in the tune,. Get the one you like the best and then get a dyno tune. Don't believe that one cai is better then another brand. To prove it.. I have the one everyone says is the 'worse' out there. The Ford racing 'bullet' cai and a dyno tune. No other mods. Almost 290 hp and 310 ft lbs torque at the rear wheels. Ill bet that pretty much the highest increase anyone has with any cia out there. Its all in the tune..
You say 290 HP, 310 lbs of torque, the mustang GT stock as 300hp, 320 lbs of torque. I'm guessing your figures are wrong? But yeah, if that's the case then maybe I can find a cheaper CAI on ebay then worry more about the tune I buy.
Old 10/14/11, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

You say 290 HP, 310 lbs of torque, the mustang GT stock as 300hp, 320 lbs of torque. I'm guessing your figures are wrong? But yeah, if that's the case then maybe I can find a cheaper CAI on ebay then worry more about the tune I buy.
No the " advertised " 300HP and 320 LBS of torque is fly wheel. The 290 and 310 would be to the wheels. Look at it as the 300HP is before taxes, after taxes it's prob around 260 to 270 net.
Old 10/14/11, 05:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
He is talking about Rear Wheel HP numbers ... All cars are advertised as their engine HP. The GT makes usually around 270 RWHP If I can remember correctly mostly due to parasitic loss in the drive train

Quick Reply: Should I get a CAI w/ tune required or without?