The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   S197 home made air intake (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/s197-home-made-air-intake-475253/)

Mayberry40 11/30/08 02:19 PM

S197 home made air intake

The air intake looks like a pretty simple setup. Has anyone came up with a simple home made replacement for the stock air intake that improves the air flow ?

Enfynet 11/30/08 02:22 PM

You could remove the air filter... that might free up some airflow. :jester:

Mayberry40 11/30/08 04:41 PM

I'm not looking for the hillbilly's way!:D

RadBOSS 11/30/08 06:12 PM

Seems to be plenty of kits to choose from. It would be difficult to do better unless you are a really good fabricator with time on your hands. The Bullet conversion seems worth while.

frdtch05gt 11/30/08 06:23 PM

Get a JLT intake, it's not extremely expensive and gives great gains in power and torque.

Srt2stang725 11/30/08 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by frdtch05gt (Post 5697215)
Get a JLT intake, it's not extremely expensive and gives great gains in power and torque.

+1 you cant go wrong with the JLT II, and you could get it color matched to your car! The amount of time and money you spend trying to fab one up would probably be equal to the price of a JLT

jjw368 11/30/08 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by frdtch05gt (Post 5697215)

Amen to both!

08 GT/CS 11/30/08 09:18 PM

Though about this.... maybe open up the stock air box & K&N panel filter. With a used one off of e-bay I started to mod, after hour of butchering it I said WTF just buy a nice kit and be done with it.

2kanchoo 11/30/08 09:40 PM

I took a www.wmsracing.com cai and then built up the box it comes with to create a tight seal with my hood scoop, thus making it a fully functional ram-air setup. I haven't heard of anyone making a complete intake setup from scratch. Really can't go wrong with the jlt cai or most any other one out there. The majority of the power gains is from the tune anyway.

AGBULLIT 12/1/08 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mayberry40 (Post 5697080)
The air intake looks like a pretty simple setup. Has anyone came up with a simple home made replacement for the stock air intake that improves the air flow ?

Red454 made a Functional Ram Air Box.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=469389

05 Mustang 12/1/08 07:14 AM

^^ very creative

08VistablueGT 12/1/08 09:43 AM

LOL! Come on guys, just pay the money for a properly designed intake system...:bad:

300GT 12/1/08 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mayberry40 (Post 5697080)

Without a proper tune to compensate for it, why would you even try to "improve the airflow"? Don't nickle and dime your 08 GT/CS by trying to rig up some homemade contraption - just buy a real intake with a real tune and be done with it.

Doogie 12/1/08 05:23 PM

And if you want to keep a more stock look, then go with the Bullitt CAI. Looks like they finally have them available without the MAF sensor, which really drops the price (~$250), get a tune from Bama or Tillman along with a tuner and as everyone else stated -"to do it right".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...Q5fAccessories

Here's another deal that Chris Rose from Tillman just teed up in this same forum that includes a JLT II, X3 tuner and 3 tunes. Considering these tuners alone retail for >$350, this $499 deal is a great way to get a nice CAI. Many TMS members including myself have tunes from Tillman and I have seen nothing but positive feedback. Just another "option" in lieu of trying to re-invent the wheel!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=475296

Glenn 12/2/08 07:00 AM

tinkering, fidgeting and making things from scratch is what the hobby is all about...... I thought!! Hell all these intakes on the market started with an idea just like this one. looking at my jlt intake it looks like it would be easy enough to duplicate with some pvc piping. yea I know it wouldn't be as purdy.
if your want any dimensions let me know and I'll see what I can do for yo.

Mayberry40 12/2/08 07:32 AM

THANK YOU......GLENN !
A hobby is not how much you spend on it, or how it looks, it's using the thing between your shoulders sometimes! To spend $250 on an item that could be made at home for a fraction of that amount, and get the same job done, is not using the thing between your shoulders. I usually don't show my engine bay to someone without them asking to see it..........but I would be happy to show off to anyone an item I made. I guess I do care about how I spend my $....I'm not the CEO of Ford.

cop on my back 12/2/08 09:16 AM

Back when I was in to the fox bodies, I machined my own 75mm TB from a billet piece of aluminum. It was way more work than I thought it would be, but very rewarding in the end. Looked good and people could not believe I designed and made it myself.

I will say that as you get older, time is worth more than money, and if I can buy something that will save me hours, I will. There are always other things to add personal touches that show off your "hobby" ability.

300GT 12/2/08 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mayberry40 (Post 5698571)
THANK YOU......GLENN !
A hobby is not how much you spend on it, or how it looks, it's using the thing between your shoulders sometimes! To spend $250 on an item that could be made at home for a fraction of that amount, and get the same job done, is not using the thing between your shoulders. I usually don't show my engine bay to someone without them asking to see it..........but I would be happy to show off to anyone an item I made. I guess I do care about how I spend my $....I'm not the CEO of Ford.

Unless you are also going to use the "thing between your shoulders" to manufacturer your own tuner and tune then your homemade intake, no matter how satisfying it was to build, will be largely useless. I think that is the point most of us were trying to make. I'm all for building one-off stuff to make your car unique; just don't think a homemade intake is going to give you that much bang for the buck and may actually be counterproductive if you run lean because of it.

2kanchoo 12/2/08 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 300GT (Post 5698713)
Unless you are also going to use the "thing between your shoulders" to manufacturer your own tuner and tune then your homemade intake, no matter how satisfying it was to build, will be largely useless. I think that is the point most of us were trying to make. I'm all for building one-off stuff to make your car unique; just don't think a homemade intake is going to give you that much bang for the buck and may actually be counterproductive if you run lean because of it.

That sums it all up right there. That's why I went with a tuner/tune and an intake then modified it to my needs.

Glenn 12/3/08 01:17 AM

either way rock on