GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rattling with Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/10, 07:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an easy and cheap fix for the noise. I did this 2 years ago and have had no noise since.

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/

If you don't want to shell out $4, you could make them yourself.
Old 7/12/10, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

So it sounds like that gasket just goes between the shiny handle and the black base. What type of material is he using on them? I was thinking about picking up some bearing grease but may just get some gasket material or both.
Old 7/12/10, 08:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Mobil1 red synthetic bearing grease is what I used.
Old 7/12/10, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ManEHawke
I used red bearing grease. The spherical bearing is the pivot ball under the stick. I just packed it in heavy, silent as OEM.
The last few times I have driven the car.....the rattling has gotten much better. I did remove those two washers with the little teeth on them. I had them in between the chrome stick and the black stick from the shifter. Where are these washers suppose to go?

It seems like only under heavier acceleration will I get a little rattling. It is nowhere near as bad as it was before. Could it also be that everything is just settling and breaking in?

I am still waiting for some rubber isolaters that Hurst has offered to send to me to put in the same place I had the washers with the teeth. I will go and put some grease on that pivot ball if it does not need me to jack it up again and pull it out.
Old 7/12/10, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can tell you that it is not just breaking in. I have the same problem and it has been in almost a year I think. It is kind of a moderately high pitched rattle starting at about 3000 RPM in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I just tightened the hex bolts as tight as I could using blue loctite and sprayed some white lithium grease down into the shifter. That's not enough so I am about to use the bearing grease and looking at the gasket. Looks like it is silicone gasket. Anybody have an idea on how to get this stuff cheaper locally? Hate to pay even 4 bucks for a couple little pieces of the stuff and wait on it to come in.
Old 7/13/10, 01:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by randy_tho
I can tell you that it is not just breaking in. I have the same problem and it has been in almost a year I think. It is kind of a moderately high pitched rattle starting at about 3000 RPM in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I just tightened the hex bolts as tight as I could using blue loctite and sprayed some white lithium grease down into the shifter. That's not enough so I am about to use the bearing grease and looking at the gasket. Looks like it is silicone gasket. Anybody have an idea on how to get this stuff cheaper locally? Hate to pay even 4 bucks for a couple little pieces of the stuff and wait on it to come in.
I thought the same thing at first, but when I figured out how much time/gas I was gonna spend looking for some rubber gasket material (plus its hard to buy just that small an amount), I decided to just send the man $4. As I recall, it took about 4 days from when I ordered to when they were in my hands.

Sometimes in the final analysis, its just better to let someone else handle the small stuff.
Old 7/13/10, 02:01 AM
GT Member

So it sounds like that gasket just goes between the shiny handle and the black base. What type of material is he using on them? I was thinking about picking up some bearing grease but may just get some gasket material or both.
Yes, that's where you put them. Some sort of black rubber gasket material.
Old 7/15/10, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tr6nut
I thought the same thing at first, but when I figured out how much time/gas I was gonna spend looking for some rubber gasket material (plus its hard to buy just that small an amount), I decided to just send the man $4. As I recall, it took about 4 days from when I ordered to when they were in my hands.

Sometimes in the final analysis, its just better to let someone else handle the small stuff.
Actually, Hurst is sending me some rubber isolaters to put in between the chrome and black sticks. You can call them and ask to have them sent to you as well. I will also grease the bearing as ManEHawke has suggested.

I am thinking there has to be a way of solving this rattling problem as they put these Hurst shifters in as stock on the Shelby GT350's. Hurst is also sending me some what I think is updated instructions on installation.
Old 7/18/10, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are you guys that use the grease applying it here? (The picture is from some stock photos and they made the picture with the shifter backwards.)
Attached Images  

Last edited by randy_tho; 7/18/10 at 10:57 PM.
Old 7/18/10, 11:28 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Mine doesn't do it in the spring, summer or fall, but when the temps are below 50 or so it raises hell. The colder it gets, the louder it gets.
Old 7/20/10, 01:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are you guys that use the grease applying it here? (The picture is from some stock photos and they made the picture with the shifter backwards.)
If that is the right place to grease it....then I got it all wrong as I was thinking it was the very bottom of the black stick

Though I am still waiting for my rubber isolaters from Hurst. I went to a car show in Bellevue this past weekend and I met another guy there who said it just needs those isolaters in between the chrome and black stick....and it should take care of the rattling problem
Old 7/21/10, 01:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's the spot Randy.
Old 7/21/10, 10:58 AM
GT Member

I just ordered the gasket
Old 7/21/10, 03:09 PM

So today I decided to take a good look at my shifter with a friend of mine. Besides the rattling issue, I've noticed that I also have some vertical play in the shifter as well. The vertical play happens when it gets hot, not when I first start the car. Not sure if anyone has this, but I made an assumption that because I can actually pull up on the shifter, this is whats making the rattling noise?

Dont know if anyone has seen this before, but this is the problem I am having:
Hurst Rattle S197

Anyways I called up Summit, which is where I bought the shifter back in January, and they are sending me a new shifter since I am under warranty for a year from Hurst. I will be sending the "defective" one back to them...
Old 7/21/10, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had my hurst since July 07 and there in little to no up/down play in the pivot area. I'd say that was a definite defect by your video.

As for installing an isolator between the black and chrome stick, I see no validity in it. You want the two sticks to grab each others serrations so the mating pieces don't loosen up when shifting forcefully. Loctite on the two bolts should be good enough. Mine came loose only once, after blue loctite, never again.
Old 7/21/10, 11:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lime GT
As for installing an isolator between the black and chrome stick, I see no validity in it. You want the two sticks to grab each others serrations so the mating pieces don't loosen up when shifting forcefully. Loctite on the two bolts should be good enough. Mine came loose only once, after blue loctite, never again.
This is what Hurst has recommended.....it is suppose to dampen any rattling/vibration.....though I will also grease the area as indicated in the above diagram.
Old 7/21/10, 11:20 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyWHAT
So today I decided to take a good look at my shifter with a friend of mine. Besides the rattling issue, I've noticed that I also have some vertical play in the shifter as well. The vertical play happens when it gets hot, not when I first start the car. Not sure if anyone has this, but I made an assumption that because I can actually pull up on the shifter, this is whats making the rattling noise?

Dont know if anyone has seen this before, but this is the problem I am having:
Hurst Rattle S197

Anyways I called up Summit, which is where I bought the shifter back in January, and they are sending me a new shifter since I am under warranty for a year from Hurst. I will be sending the "defective" one back to them...
That's the EXACT same problem I had. I threw the shifter in the attic and bought an MGW.
Old 7/22/10, 01:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
That's the EXACT same problem I had. I threw the shifter in the attic and bought an MGW.
Apparently, the "hurst rattle" problem as seen in that YouTube video indicates you have a defective shifter. There should be no play in the shifter when you try to move the shifter stick up and down.
Old 7/25/10, 02:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok the isolaters from Hurst finally came and I put them in today. They sent me two neoprene isolaters which should come with all the kits now. They also sent me some updated instructions.

I only put one of the isolaters in since my shifter is not rattling as bad as it originally did and I sprayed some white lithium grease on the spot ManHawke suggested. I took the car out for a spin....and there was very minimal vibration/noise if any. I will drive it a little more and let you guys know. It looks like the problem is more less fixed
Old 7/25/10, 09:12 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 5pointoh
Apparently, the "hurst rattle" problem as seen in that YouTube video indicates you have a defective shifter. There should be no play in the shifter when you try to move the shifter stick up and down.
It is defective for sure, and I should have done something about it. I was just so annoyed with Hurst that I did t even want to mess with them at the time. How could a company with such a long history of making quality shifters make a piece of crap like that. Now I'm sure it's too late.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 7/25/10 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Rattling with Hurst Shifter