GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question about Nitrous???

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/10, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about Nitrous???

So I am thinking about bottle feeding the car and want to know what kit you guys recommend and where are some of the best places to find a deal?

Performance Mods as of right now: Kooks LT + Catted H, MagnaPaks, C&L Racer intake, Steeda UDP's... Think thats it.
Old 1/28/10, 02:35 PM
GT Member

Dynotune.org. They sale a kit for 379.00. I have bought there stuff before and it seems to be good parts. They use NOS style nozzle and I would rather use the NX or Nitrous Works nozzles. If you bought the kit I would buy the NX or Nitrous Works single nozzle.

Or just buy a NX or Nitrous works kit. A NX kit is like 650.00 so the 379 with a extra nozzle is still cheaper. Thats my 2 cents worth.
Old 1/28/10, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

So you think the DynoTune kit is just as reliable as an NX or Zex kit??? I mean you really can't beat that price but my question is do you get what you pay for kinda thing???
Old 1/28/10, 06:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My opinion and I have never done nitrous. Spend the proper amount of money and do it right and get the best tune possible. Do you know what a replacement motor costs??? If you are really serious contact someone like Brenspeed or Tillman and get it done right. Do you know what "BOOM" means? Alot more than $379.00
Old 1/28/10, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

You are exactly right and that is why I want to make sure it is done right the 1st time b/c if it isn't there is no 2nd time... Hahaha at least there won't be w/ that motor.
Old 1/29/10, 12:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ny-trex is where I'd spend my money if I was going to be doing nitrous which will happen one day.

http://www.ny-trex.com/

http://www.ny-trex.com/cart/index.ph...85437cfec794a4

Harris Speed Works makes a nitrous wet plate kit.

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/prod...age=1&featured

Also could run the Steeda Billet CMDPs with nitrous boss' which might be even better.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ion_plates.php

Going to need switches, gauges, a gauge pod, a window switch, bottle warmer, remote bottle opener (recommended), purge kit. This should get you started.
Old 1/29/10, 08:07 AM
GT Member

I would say yes the dynotune is a good kit. All the nitrous solenoid's are equal. They open and they close. I have used Dynotune nitrous parts on some of my cars and some of my cousins cars. I have a buddy of mine fixing to buy the Dynotune kit for his 07 Shelby GT. So yes I think they have a nice kit. Get the kit if you want. If not it won't hurt my feelings. If you are not safe useing the kit then don't get it. Get what you feel safe with. If you wanted to spend more money I would use the NX kit. I personally think they have the best kit on the market. I have been useing Nitrous for about 13 years now and I love it! Don;t get me wrong I like a supercharer or turbo better but I just love how you can build a nice N/A and then throw some spray on it and make it better. You run people on motor and spray the Shint out of them. LOL
Old 1/29/10, 12:38 PM
Cobra Member

Thank you guys so much b/c this is the 1st time so I want as much advice as I can get... I am going to be safe using the kit considering the entire bottom end is stock and don't want to blow the motor just yet...

Just outta curiosity whats the cost to fill a bottle approx.? What is a descent price for an install? I haven't decided if I am going to install myself then go have it tuned or just have it done?
Old 1/29/10, 02:55 PM
GT Member

last time i checked nitrous was about $5 a pound and that been a while ago. 5.0 magazine had a write up about this same exact system in last months issue. said ny-trex suggested the 75hp jet setting for a totaly stock engine. if you want to go more i would suggest a wideband gauge, lower heat range plugs and a really good dyno tune if you want to try for more power with the nitrous.
Old 1/29/10, 03:25 PM
Cobra Member

No matter what if I go w/ the juice I am going to be putting a wideband in but w/out sounding like an idiot; what do lower heat range plugs do? And I was thinking of doing a 100 shot but not sure???
Old 1/29/10, 03:35 PM
GT Member

lower heat so the engine does not detonate. that could cause engine damage or ruin the engine. if you went with the 75 shot you wouldnt have to change anything but you will still need a tune.
Old 1/29/10, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah I did my research and I understand the issues w/ detonation especially at low RPM's or in a situation where the A/F leans out but I didn't see anything on the "lower heat range plugs"... And I am planning on getting it tuned anyways; so you think it is necessary if I go above 75 to change the plugs???
Old 1/30/10, 12:14 AM
GT Member

yes, you can email modular depot or brenspeed and they will tell you the heat range per how high of a shot. i have heard of guys running a 125 shot on stock 4.6L and 5.4L with no issues with the proper setup

Last edited by Green96GT; 1/30/10 at 12:15 AM.
Old 1/30/10, 03:00 PM
Cobra Member

I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems I had a lot of misconceptions when it came to the "GAS", and I have read a few people running 125 shots on a stock bottom end I just don't know if I am will to do it??? Although at the same time I know I will become used to the 100 shot and naturally want MORE!!!!
Old 1/30/10, 04:05 PM
GT Member

this is true. its something to think about and i have always been told that if you run nitrous that you will break something eventually. but it turns out that saying is not true. nitrous can be safe as long as you set the car up right.
Old 1/30/10, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

A 125 shot set up correctly and tuned properly will be fine. It's going to be an increase of roughly 100 rwhp so depending on your mods it should be around ~400 rwhp so it'll be good.
Old 1/30/10, 11:25 PM
GT Member

You can run up to a 75 shot without a tune. If you have a tune on your car already you WILL have to get it retuned. A tune ups the timing and you CAN NOT run high timing with nitrous. Unless tuned or race fuel. To be on the safe side get it tuned. I personally don't like ZEX nitrous but since it's your first time with notrous you might think about useing ZEX. It's a simple 3 wire hook up and it takes a lot of the guess work out of it. Remember you car will make more power at 900-1000 pounds of bottle pressure.

Nitrous IF USED correctly it is safe on your car. I had a 3.0 ranger I sprayed a 75 shot NOS wet kit on for 5 years and it lasted up to 200K miles on it. The only reason it messed up is I put it on the dyno and put the wrong nitrous pill in it and it messed up the rings. I should have left it alone but I thought NAH I want more and I got it. A 125 shot and it messed the rings up but it drove home. LOL On the 75 shot 3.0 stock motor other than the nitrous put 202.9 rwhp. Not bad for a 3.0.

Be safe and you will be fine!!!!
Old 2/1/10, 08:57 PM
Cobra Member

What do you guys know about a kit that relocates the battery to the back and places a small fuel container where the battery used to be so you don't have to plug the fuel rail???
Old 2/2/10, 07:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PIKE2244
What do you guys know about a kit that relocates the battery to the back and places a small fuel container where the battery used to be so you don't have to plug the fuel rail???
Sounds like to much work! LOL There is nothing wrong with pluging into the factory fuel rail. I've had many of cars run off the fuel rail. Matter of fact I'm installing a kit now on a foxbody off the stock fuel lines. I plan on running a 175 shot off the factory fuel lines.

On a street car I personally don't like to run a fuel system just for the nitrous. Just in case you forget to fill the other tank up and deside to spray it and then you won't have the fuel to run with the nitrous. If you have fuel in the tank and the car is running you know you got fuel up there for the nitrous.

Now on race cars or real high hp street cars is is good to run a seperate tank for the nitrous so you can run race fuel in the fuel system for the nitrous and then you can run a higher compression or more timing ETC.
Old 2/2/10, 02:32 PM
Cobra Member

Interesting... That seems very logical to me and considering this would be my 1st juiced car I could see myself forgetting to fill the other tank very easily...