The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   put in wrong motor oil (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/put-wrong-motor-oil-422013/)

don_w 10/4/05 09:01 PM

Originally posted by SixtySix@October 3, 2005, 2:25 AM
I'm sorry, but that's the funniest thing I've seen in this thread yet :lol:

LOL... I agree (I lived in Phoenix for 32 years... moved to San Diego almost 14 years ago and never looked back).

Firedude 10/5/05 09:58 AM

What we have here is the dreaded oil debate. Wish I had a dollar for every oil thread that turned into a " My oil is better than yours" and I am one of the worst offenders. Just can't resist.
By the way, my oil is better than yours. :-D

TURBO 05 10/5/05 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Martimus@October 4, 2005, 8:08 PM
For me I'll happily continue to use Mobil 1. Is AMSOil better? Doubtful... but if it is I still have to wonder why I cannot drive to my local Pep Boys and find any on the shelf. Beyond this its not stocked on the shelf at my local Auto Zone, Checker, or Wal-Mart either. Come to think of it I've yet to see AMSOil sitting on the shelf of any major automotive parts retailer in this state. Hmm... I wonder why?

and you wont find anyone that uses AMSOil at the race track either or at least i havent, it is purely an internet fad, if it waqs so great they would be sold everywhere and the company would be making tons more money then just internet sales.
I'll stick with my Mobil 1 too :banana:

Cleveland 10/5/05 08:10 PM

Amsoil is hardly an internet fad, you actually have to purchase them from established store fronts. The facts dont lie that Amsoil is the best in Synthetics and opinions are not based on facts.

Does it matter that you dont use Amsoil in your motor? It could mean a world of difference and it could not mean a thing. I've done my research on oil over several years now and I've seen the same thing. Even the law has to recognize Amsoil as the best hence a legit trademark "First in Synthetics". If Mobil really was the best Im sure they would have a similar trademark backed by law instead of their customers just believing their product to be the best. If you look at advertising from mainstream motor oil producing companies they only compare their stuff to other big brand names, they dont compare to Amsoil and they never claim to be the best. Amsoil would be all over them after their tests prove otherwise.

If you also look into the Amsoil background you will begin to notice where it is sold, who sells it and who buys it.

Again, the best oil you can buy in chain auto stores is Mobil 1 but I can guarantee that those companies dont make a dime selling you oil (they actually lose money on the transaction) so they could care less what you buy. Its Mobil that is taking in all your $$$. Amsoil has a great network of distributors that are actually making money off of selling just automotive lubricants. Just because Amsoil doesnt force their products into every single parts store isnt a reason to say that they are an inferior product. Most comments to the contrary can be placed in the corner along with ignorance.

Its your motor, do what you want with it.

-Dan

Martimus 10/5/05 09:10 PM

Unfortunately your logic here is slightly flawed Dan... You are most definitely correct that AMSOil advertises that they're the best. Does Mobil publically refute their claim? No! Why? Maybe because they don't see AMSOil as significant enough competition to warrant the time, effort, and money.

If you drive to a quick lube business in this part of the country you don't see AMSOil. If you drive to a auto parts store you don't see AMSOil. If you head over to watch a NASCAR race you don't see many, if any, advertisements for AMSOil. And you'll see equally few advertisements in newspapers, on radio and TV for AMSOil.

AMSOil could very well be the best oil on the planet but they chose to be a niche rather than a mainstream product.

Cleveland 10/5/05 10:56 PM

my comments arent slightly flawed if you repeat what I already posted... :scratch:

-Dan

don_w 10/5/05 11:02 PM

This is starting to sound like a group of blue-hairs debating whether or not Starbucks coffee is the best and worth the ridiculous price. hehehe.

If you use a name-brand oil, you'll be fine... they are all pretty good. Personally, I prefer to increase the frequency of my oil changes, and not get caught up in the "which-oil-is-best" debate. I change it every 2500 miles. For me, it's cheap insurance.

Martimus 10/5/05 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Cleveland@October 5, 2005, 9:59 PM
my comments arent slightly flawed if you repeat what I already posted... :scratch:

-Dan

Maybe... but then again maybe not! Oh and I said logic not comments dude... :scratch:

Hatchman 10/6/05 07:50 PM

Originally posted by TURBO 05@October 5, 2005, 8:47 PM
and you wont find anyone that uses AMSOil at the race track either or at least i havent, it is purely an internet fad, if it waqs so great they would be sold everywhere and the company would be making tons more money then just internet sales.
I'll stick with my Mobil 1 too :banana:

Yeah, you won't find anybody using Amsoil at the race track, except for these couple of hundred race teams. :jester:

http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/racers_index.aspx

And world champions like this guy, Joe DaSilva

http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/dasilva/index.aspx

Cleveland 10/6/05 09:15 PM

btw, comments are usually based on logic. :banana: :banana: :banana:

-Dan

SonicGT 10/6/05 10:53 PM

lol just think is funny how this topic turned out. by the way for those who care, i changed the oil back to 5w20. just wanted to be safe than sorry

Martimus 10/6/05 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Cleveland@October 6, 2005, 8:18 PM
btw, comments are usually based on logic. :banana: :banana: :banana:

-Dan

Not always Dan! Especially when the comments are based on opinion and personal bias. :lol:

thestoogeo 10/20/05 10:15 PM

Just to throw something into the mix:

I plan on using Royal Purple Synthetic 5W30 in my ProCharged Mustang. The oil won't void the warranty, but the supercharger will.

I chose the operating temp weight of 30 vs 20 because I expect that a supercharged engine will run at a higher temperature than the normal engine. In Western Colorado we see temps ranging from 0 F in the winter to 100 F in the summer.

Here is some info about oil viscosity grades:

How Stuff Works - Oil Weight

Everyone has their brand and we tend to defend what we use.

I'll post back in a few years and let you guys know how its going.

Jon