GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

My Experience with Doug and his Bamachips race, tune & torque tunes!

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/06, 03:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Experience with Doug and his Bamachips race, tune & torque tunes!

HI there

Well first of all Doug is a great chap, always replies to my emails promptly and very willing to help which is really good customer service.

Well I've tried all of his tunes now, well I think all of them - Race, Torque and Performance. All designed for Octane 93 fuel!

Torque - Definetely the best tune in the 1500-3500rpm range but the push you back in your seat feel seems to die off around 4500rpm, though it still pulls well to redline.

Performance - Very similar to the torque tune, a little less pick up between 1500-3000rpm. But if you nail it above 3000rpm it will pushes you back in your seat and pulls strong upto redline. A definite good all rounder.

Race - Doug describes this as having the timing slightly more advanced with the most aggressive acceleration curve. All I can say is I love it. Above 4000rpm the car is absolutely mental in fact its scary as it nails you hard back in your seat upto redline. What else is good though is pickup is really strong at lower revs, it don't push you back in your seat as much as the torque tune but seems to pull harder and rev far quicker. I've also noticed that acceleration of the mark with this tune seems quicker and shifting at high rpms seem smoother and the car instantly accelerates when you shift up into next gear when racing.

Summary - All fantastic tunes, if you spend most of your times under 4000rpm then the torque tune is best. But if you love letting that engine scream then I recommend the performance or race tunes.

For those who wish to know my car is Saleen Mustang GT with Tunable Induction Cold Air Intake from Demolet, Saleen UDP's, Saleen 2.5" axle backs. Future mods are gonna be LT Headers, Off-road Pipe, CRMC Delete plates and more tunes!!

I am gonna find out from Doug if its safe to run my car all the time with the race tune as he does mention for race track only but he did right my tune for Octane 93 wheras the race tune normally uses higher octane fuel like upto Octane 100 etc.

Overall Doug is a top bloke and I hope Bamachips all the best. I paid Doug $100 for the Torque and Performance tunes which he sent to me straight away. I enquired about the race tune and he sent it me for free all properly calibrated for my car and wheels size.

Thanks Doug!

Gibbo
Old 5/25/06, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

let us know if it is ok to run the race tune all the time.... looks like I need to get that from him!!
Old 5/25/06, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Good to hear your having good success with Doug at Bamachips. I have the SCT 93 Octane Xtreme Tune from Fred at Evolution Performance. I've been after Fred for almost a month to either email me my tune or dend it to me via snail mail so that I could lock in 4th gear to have my GT dyno'd so far no luck. Fred says he wont email his tunes.
Dont get me wrong the tune I have makes the GT come out of the hole like it was shot out with a sling shot. But Fred's unwillingness to send me my tune has really turned me off to his way of doing business.

I'm going to contact Doug @ Bamachips and have a talk with him.

Thanks for the info
Old 5/25/06, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Doug has posted the lock in 4th tune on here for people that needed it. Forsure talk to him, he will help you out.
Old 5/25/06, 06:01 PM
Cobra R Member

I am looking forward to some video clips with dougs tune and cams in. Doug its gotta have some lope. That one video of Blow by sound like the old 429.
Old 5/29/06, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Doug is great, i just got the race tune after you posted here about it. i cant wait until wednesday to try it out. Hopefully it doesnt rain.
Old 5/29/06, 12:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ren274u
Doug is great, i just got the race tune after you posted here about it. i cant wait until wednesday to try it out. Hopefully it doesnt rain.
Hi m8

Look forward to hearing what you think of it!!

Which of Dougs tune you using at the moment?

Also when you try the race tune if at first you don't notice much of a differance wait until a couple of days later when the ECU has learnt to your driving style as now I am finding the car to pick up really strong and pull like a train from as low down at 1200rpm with no flat spots and at 4000rpm it goes nuts. Really loving the race tune and Doug was not joking when he said the acceleration curve is aggressive in fact I am now beginning to think this tune might have better pick up from low revs than the torque tune accept it does not have the weaknesses of the torque tune as the race tune just gets more mental as the REVS climb higher.
Old 5/31/06, 08:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any updates on the Race Tune? Can it be run with 93 octane or does it have to be a higher grade? Is it safe to run all the time? Very interested here!
Old 6/1/06, 02:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mas35NYR
Any updates on the Race Tune? Can it be run with 93 octane or does it have to be a higher grade? Is it safe to run all the time? Very interested here!
Hi m8

I spoke to Doug and he said the race tune is safe as mine is setup for Octane 93. Its definetely the best and a couple of other people have now tried the race tune and also preferre it too. It just pulls very strong and removes all flat spots.
Old 6/1/06, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I just need my car back and I'll be seeing if all this talk about the race tune is for real. I cant wait to try it out. I cant believe this tune is better than the torque tune. That means it will be unbelievable.
Old 6/2/06, 06:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Do you use the Race tune for 93 all the time? what is the trade off's?
and how much does just the tune cost?

Thanks
Old 6/3/06, 03:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Do you use the Race tune for 93 all the time? what is the trade off's?
and how much does just the tune cost?

Thanks
Hi there

Dougs charges $50 per tune. I paid him $100 for the Torque and Performance tunes. Which I was very pleased with. I then enquired about the race tune and Doug sent it me free of charge. After trying it I have stuck with the race tune as it pulls very strong throughout the rev range with no flat spots. Doug says its perfectly safe to run daily as the A/F and timing are the same as the performance tune its just the acceleration curve thats different.
Old 6/4/06, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

The race tune is by far and away the best tune that Doug has. Its incredible at the low end.... 2000 rpms and up it pulls hard its noticeable the second you load it. After 4000 rpms even in 3rd gear on the interstate it definitely puts you back in the seat more all the way up to 6300 rpms. I absolutely love it.. It feels faster then the other tunes just by how much it pulls. I still need to connect the SCTx2 and data log a few runs up to 100 and see the gains if any.
Old 6/4/06, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone know if Doug is out of town? I sent him an email mid last week to the gmail address and still havent received a reply, usually its 1 or 2 days at the most when I've emailed him in the past?
Old 6/5/06, 10:43 AM

I've now also tried all 3 tunes from Doug.. and by far the race tune fits my car the best. I have an automatic with 4.10s, so the tq tune really isn't at its strongest RPM range for any noticable amount of time when I step on it. The performance tune was better, but I like the race tune the best.

The race tune also seems to do something different in how it manages shifting and converter lockup. I don't have a trans temp gauge, but during city driving, the center console area would get noticably hotter after I put the 4.10s in and used the tq and performance tunes, but with the race tune it's back down to normal temps...
Old 6/5/06, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've tried all three of his tunes and for me the torque tune was best on an 05 GT automatic with 3.73 gears.
Old 6/6/06, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Now I have a question. Is it bad to tune your car often? The reason I ask is, I love the tunes so much for different occasions, that lately I've been using 93 Torque during the week (work traffic) and 93 Performance during the weekends (loose traffic, highway runs, late night cruising). I do this every couple days, is this going to be a problem? Sorry for the silly question, I'm new to tuning but Im so in love with the results.
Old 6/6/06, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I doubt you'll hurt anything. The computer is adaptable even in stock form (will pull spark, e.g.), so the parameters fluctuate quite a bit as it is. My *guess* is flash away
Old 6/6/06, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reminisce
Now I have a question. Is it bad to tune your car often? The reason I ask is, I love the tunes so much for different occasions, that lately I've been using 93 Torque during the week (work traffic) and 93 Performance during the weekends (loose traffic, highway runs, late night cruising). I do this every couple days, is this going to be a problem? Sorry for the silly question, I'm new to tuning but Im so in love with the results.
Before I installed the KB blower, I used to reflash 2 or 3 times a week (or more). I had a street tune and a track tune, and I never had any problems.
Old 6/6/06, 10:02 PM
V6 Member

Another very happy BAMACHIPS customer. I recieved my JLT & X-cal w/ tunes today. Every thing was just as I could have hoped.

Thanks Doug

Quick Reply: My Experience with Doug and his Bamachips race, tune & torque tunes!