GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mod Question - Estimated HP

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/05, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, having owned several Mustangs I'm no stranger to the modding addiction. You can tell yourself, "I'm not going to mod....I'm not going to mod." then after the first mod you do it's all over. Your hooked!!!

I'm going to be getting an 06 GT and have a list of parts that I want to add to the car. Since most of you guys have already modded your car, you have an idea of what kind of HP I can expect for a given mod or a combination of mods. What I'm looking for is some feedback on an estimated HP that I would get with the following list of mods:

CAI - either C&L or JLT
BBK Throttle Body - adertised as 10 rwhp, any one got this yet???
JBA Long Tube Headers
JBA H-pipe with cats
SLP Loudmouth axle back exhaust - more for sound than HP
Diablosport Preditor Tuner
Be Cool Performance Radiator

Not adding the underdrive pulley's or charge motion plates as I don't think they are worth the money for the little gain in hp you get. Combined they may give me 10hp but I can pick that up in other ways. I'll also be adding LCA's to help control the wheel hop and maybe an adjustable pan hard bar.

So, based on the knowledge of what others have done, about how much HP can I expect from these mods??? I'm guessing some where between 305 - 310 rwhp. Am I far off in my estimate??? Of course the car will be tuned on a dyno but I'm just trying to get a feel for how these cars respond to mods. My ultimate and last mod will be a set of Livernois ported/polished heads and billet cams. They have posted on their site that they gained 45 rwhp from the heads alone!!!

Thanks for help in advance,

Jim
Old 5/22/05, 11:02 AM
Cobra Member

I know why you listed the radiator...but don't hold your breath on getting the results you expect from it. Just my opinion.
Old 5/22/05, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hawgman@May 22, 2005, 1:05 PM
I know why you listed the radiator...but don't hold your breath on getting the results you expect from it. Just my opinion.

Just curious as to why you would say that??? I think any car would benefit from a better cooling system especially if it's driven hard. I doubt I'll get any additional HP from it but it will keep the car running cooler.
Old 5/22/05, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

I'd say your estimate is about spot on. I have just about all the mod's you listed. I'm not sure about the radiator.... I live in one of the hotest climate's on the planet (today's high will be 108 ) and I drive my Pony hard. I have not seen any reason why the stock cooling system is not sufficiant to keep the motor cool. So far it is doing a great job, I think you'll be fine with the stock cooling set up.
Old 5/22/05, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@May 22, 2005, 1:44 PM
I'd say your estimate is about spot on. I have just about all the mod's you listed. I'm not sure about the radiator.... I live in one of the hotest climate's on the planet (today's high will be 108 ) and I drive my Pony hard. I have not seen any reason why the stock cooling system is not sufficiant to keep the motor cool. So far it is doing a great job, I think you'll be fine with the stock cooling set up.

Cool, (no pun intended ) thanks for the info on the radiator. Only reason I considered it is reading about how the car reacts to heat soak. Probably notice it more on a dyno and maybe on the track. If your not having any problems where you live then I doubt I will here in the NE. That just leaves more money for another mod!!!
Old 5/22/05, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

I will be going back to the dyno soon and will report my progress. If a better radiator is needed I will see real soon. I just went outside and it's a dang blast furnace...... :bang:
Old 5/22/05, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@May 22, 2005, 1:59 PM
I will be going back to the dyno soon and will report my progress. If a better radiator is needed I will see real soon. I just went outside and it's a dang blast furnace...... :bang:

I posted a thread on HP radiators for the 05/06 Mustang GT's a few days ago. Only one I know of is made by a company called Be Cool. Here's the link to the thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=24781

I posted links to Be Cools site and the radiator. Looks like a nice piece, no price is given though.

Jim
Old 5/22/05, 12:14 PM
Cobra Member

Thank's for the link! That look's like a very nice unit. I have used there product's in the past and they are top of line. By the seat of the pant's and monitering of the motor it seem's to be doing very well. But if the dyno or track times tell a different story, you can bet I'll be one of the first to have this radiator.
Old 5/22/05, 12:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Only 108 today? want to trade? Its not even noon here and its 108 lol.

EDIT: Quick off topic question for vegasjay.
Do you notice your car being noticeable slower in this warmer heat? I just went to the track and i thought i was launching pretty good (2.3 60ft times) but i was running 15.5's. Last itme i went to the track i was pulling 2.4 60 ft times, but i was running 15.2's and 15.3's. When i went last it was probably 70 degrees at the time of racing, and on friday it was probably bout 100 degrees at the time of racing.
Old 5/22/05, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fazm@May 22, 2005, 2:49 PM

Good Lord!!! It's only 64 here in the NE. That's with a 16 mph wind, might have to wear my jacket when I go to lunch .....
Old 5/22/05, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fazm@May 22, 2005, 2:49 PM

Do you notice your car being noticeable slower in this warmer heat? I just went to the track and i thought i was launching pretty good (2.3 60ft times) but i was running 15.5's. Last itme i went to the track i was pulling 2.4 60 ft times, but i was running 15.2's and 15.3's. When i went last it was probably 70 degrees at the time of racing, and on friday it was probably bout 100 degrees at the time of racing.

Heat soak, the 05/06 Mustangs loose HP when they get hot. That's why I am considering the hp radiator. I think both you and vegasjay would greatly benefit from this mod especially on a hot night at the track.
Old 5/22/05, 12:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Im considering fabricating my own CAI (real one that goes into the fender, or possible into the bumper opening) because this hot air out here is killing my times. Not to mention my gas mileage is going down as well (4mpg lower, mixture of hotter air and usin the a/c).
Old 5/22/05, 01:07 PM
FR500 Member

I am sure cooling those puppies down (esp arizona & Nevada) will help with track times.

Paul
Old 5/22/05, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I was getting mine Dyno'd last Friday afternoon (JLT CAI and SCT XCal got me 284rwhp and 310rwtq). Well the guy before me had an 05 as well. JBA Long tubes, Prochambers, XPipe and JBA Mufflers. Charge motion plates, under drive pulleys, JLT CAI and an SCT Xcal. He pushed out 320rwhp! Not sure what the tq was.... I forgot to look. After the tune, Brent from DTP and the client went for a drive and found an 03' Cobra wanting to play. They hung with it through the race. Pretty impressive gains from the mods he had installed.
Old 5/22/05, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nbk13nw@May 22, 2005, 3:52 PM
I was getting mine Dyno'd last Friday afternoon (JLT CAI and SCT XCal got me 284rwhp and 310rwtq). Well the guy before me had an 05 as well. JBA Long tubes, Prochambers, XPipe and JBA Mufflers. Charge motion plates, under drive pulleys, JLT CAI and an SCT Xcal. He pushed out 320rwhp! Not sure what the tq was.... I forgot to look. After the tune, Brent from DTP and the client went for a drive and found an 03' Cobra wanting to play. They hung with it through the race. Pretty impressive gains from the mods he had installed.

Hmm, seems like the JLT is the better of the CAI's that I've read about. Those are some impressive numbers. Guess I'll have to consider the JLT now!!!
Old 5/22/05, 03:35 PM

[attachmentid=21908]I would suggest an electric water pump over a new radiator. You'll free up parisitic loss as well as having the capability of cooling when you want. http://www.modularmustangracing.com/
Old 5/22/05, 03:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by StangFreak@May 22, 2005, 2:04 PM
Hmm, seems like the JLT is the better of the CAI's that I've read about. Those are some impressive numbers. Guess I'll have to consider the JLT now!!!
I got 286.5 rwhp and 306ft.lb rwtq with a Steeda and a Diablo tune.
I am starting to kinda think that they are all basically the same, give or take a hp or two.
Old 5/22/05, 10:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@May 22, 2005, 12:49 PM

Yah you guy's are usually a few degree's hotter down there...It doesn't seem like it's lost anything but I haven't had time to go to the track since this heatwave started. :bang:
Old 5/22/05, 10:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 169stang@May 22, 2005, 3:38 PM
[attachmentid=21908]I would suggest an electric water pump over a new radiator. You'll free up parisitic loss as well as having the capability of cooling when you want. http://www.modularmustangracing.com/
David, that seem's to be a good idea. How does it work exactly? I don't have any experiance with these. It say's it bolt's on, does it just replace the stock water pump and plug into the electrical system?
Old 5/22/05, 11:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Vegasjay, i believe thats how those work. Im waiting for one to come out for the 4.0, unlike you, i COULD use another 10-15rwhp :P Wanna throw a few c.i.d.'s my way without my insurance increasing?

EDIT: In case you were curious, it hit 112 here in ahwatukee (phoenix) where i live.

Quick Reply: Mod Question - Estimated HP