GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MMR Intake Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/05, 06:59 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed the MMR intake tonight and first off, it sounds great! I haven't had much drive time yet as it is wet and rainy here in Michigan. Reading up on it some, it was said that the check engine light will come on and I may have to get my car tunned in order to see the benifits of the increase in HP. My check engine light did not come on and the car seems to be running great. Does anyone know if it is a must to get a tune after the air intake system is installed to see the gains in HP?? How much are tunes?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 2/7/05, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 05stangGT@February 7, 2005, 8:02 PM
I just installed the MMR intake tonight and first off, it sounds great! I haven't had much drive time yet as it is wet and rainy here in Michigan. Reading up on it some, it was said that the check engine light will come on and I may have to get my car tunned in order to see the benifits of the increase in HP. My check engine light did not come on and the car seems to be running great. Does anyone know if it is a must to get a tune after the air intake system is installed to see the gains in HP?? How much are tunes?

Thanks in advance!!

Everyone I have talked to has said it does. Steeda's website said the CAI required a tune, but they could just be trying to sell the tuner. Like I said, as far as I have heard, it will require one.
Old 2/7/05, 07:53 PM
Banned

it does....your motor will lean out otherwise. Im keeping my car virtually stock performance wise...a warranty is worth far more than a tenth off my 1/4 mile....
Old 2/8/05, 05:38 AM
Cobra Member

You will get some benefits with-out a tune - but only like 3-5 hp. If you want the 15-18 hp it gives you , you will have to have a tune. The tune itself will give about 20 hp - so would end up with 35-40 hp with the MMR kit and a re-tune/flash.

I personally dont care about my waranty, some othes do. It is a personal choice. The tune does not only give you the ability to get more power, it increases throttle response, allows you to change gears, tires, auto tranny shift points, and more.

-Bryan
Old 2/8/05, 05:57 AM
Banned

Hahaha we all know you don't 2005redgt. Your car looks great but I think you lost warranty the first week you had it!

Nobody cares about their warranty until they blow an expensive part. My buddy didnt care about his until he blew out the IRS in his 03 cobra. Personally, the design of the MMR intake looks like it will do no good on a hot day at the track. I had a friend install a similar intake on an 02 and he actually got worse and worse times at the track due to heat intake as the day progressed. Not to say this intake isnt effective...but I would just like to see the filter located away from the engine...

it is promising news that JDM got this car to run 12.41 with charge motion plates, tune, intake,and slicks....

I have run into several engineers off of team mustang and they have all told me the same thing. Wait for the aftermarket to catch up...don't buy everything that is put out their first. They stressed to me that it works differently than all the other mustangs...im gonna take their advice
Old 2/8/05, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

I dont usually care about a warranty, but I normally buy a new car every year. However, my stang will be a toy I keep for a while. heck, I am about to dump 4K into a new 'realistic' flame paint job and new show quality clear coat.

I am not sure if I can even trade it in lol

BTW, the JDM video and stats are very inspiring

-Bryan
Old 2/8/05, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by CUON24@February 7, 2005, 8:56 PM
it does....your motor will lean out otherwise. Im keeping my car virtually stock performance wise...a warranty is worth far more than a tenth off my 1/4 mile....

Actually according to ford you can install an intake and it does not void the warranty. neither does a catback exhaust system as long as you leave the cats intact.
Old 2/8/05, 07:38 AM
GT Member

OK, this might be a stupid question then, but what exactly is a tune???
Old 2/8/05, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Exposed cone under the hood? Hope that engine likes nice hot air.
Old 2/8/05, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05stangGT@February 8, 2005, 8:41 AM

It has not affected it so far like (over 2000 miles). But that does not matter anyways, MMR is soon to release their intake tube and heat shield

-Bryan
Old 2/8/05, 08:27 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT+February 8, 2005, 11:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2005RedGT @ February 8, 2005, 11:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05stangGT@February 8, 2005, 8:41 AM

It has not affected it so far like (over 2000 miles). But that does not matter anyways, MMR is soon to release their intake tube and heat shield

-Bryan
[/b][/quote]

Bryan, you have the MMR intake right? Did you get a tune? Is a tune different than a computer flash? If you have done a tune, what did you pay?
Old 2/8/05, 08:36 AM
Jackass

Originally posted by 94tbird+February 8, 2005, 7:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(94tbird @ February 8, 2005, 7:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-CUON24@February 7, 2005, 8:56 PM

Actually according to ford you can install an intake and it does not void the warranty. neither does a catback exhaust system as long as you leave the cats intact.
[/b][/quote]

What about the tune required to gain the 35-40 hp with the MMR kit and a re-tune/flash? I know I have to check with my dealership but what does Ford think about this in general? Also is the "HC" trap right there? Does that need to be removed to install this kit?

I have never had a CAI installed so all this is new to me, and I’m considering it.
Old 2/8/05, 08:59 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I installed mine the engine light didn't come on for a few days, but then I stomped on it to show my buddy a little power and the engine light came on and stayed on until I tuned it.

MMR does state that after a few hundred miles the engine light should turn off once the computer has recalibrated itself. However, you will not really gain any performance unless you do flash the cpu.
Old 2/8/05, 09:36 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Altoid+February 8, 2005, 11:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Altoid @ February 8, 2005, 11:39 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by 94tbird@February 8, 2005, 7:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-CUON24
@February 7, 2005, 8:56 PM

What about the tune required to gain the 35-40 hp with the MMR kit and a re-tune/flash? I know I have to check with my dealership but what does Ford think about this in general? Also is the "HC" trap right there? Does that need to be removed to install this kit?

I have never had a CAI installed so all this is new to me, and I’m considering it.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, the installation instructions do have you remove the HC trap, however you really don't NEED to remove it.
Old 2/8/05, 09:40 AM
Jackass

Originally posted by 05stangGT@February 8, 2005, 10:39 AM
Yes, the installation instructions do have you remove the HC trap, however you really don't NEED to remove it.
Does the CAI pass emissions in California? Also how hard is the CAI to remove? I know you need the HC to pass so if you can’t remove the CAI I would need to keep the CAI.

Most important thing is emissions as they are crazy here in California.
Old 2/8/05, 10:42 AM
FR500 Member

Does the CAI pass emissions in California? Also how hard is the CAI to remove? I know you need the HC to pass so if you can’t remove the CAI I would need to keep the CAI.

Most important thing is emissions as they are crazy here in California.

I will reinstall the HC trap and stock air box before emissions testing. About 30-45 minute job. I won't take the chance that the cai might not pass visual. Sometimes it's a whim on the part of the shop that inspects the car. I don't want to go thru the hassle of the re-inspection.
Old 2/8/05, 12:38 PM
Banned

The tune DOES void factory warranty....I have talked to reps from steeda and saleen. Think about it...Ford engineers design a part to work within a specific parameter...then you add 30+ hp to that... why should they cover it? I have a buddy who used to work at a dealership and knows all about this stuff. Call me whatever you want but mark my word ....there will be a lot of sad faces around here and angry people when a dealership turns down your claim.

Stick with looks then after two years throw a blower on. boom done.
Old 2/8/05, 12:49 PM
Jackass

I value my warranty over gain at this point, maybe later down the road. So it looks like I will have to look into other things.

I will double check just because I have to call my fleet director today anyway.
Old 2/8/05, 03:29 PM
Banned

agreed...warranty is one of those things you dont care about until something happens
Old 2/8/05, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

So has it been determined that removing the HC trap will cause no great harm to the engine? I am asking this of the guys/gals that have run their cars for awhile without it. Thanks

Quick Reply: MMR Intake Installed...