The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Looking for insights for upgrading '08 GT performance (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/looking-insights-upgrading-08-gt-performance-540689/)

esfkotaro 3/11/16 12:53 PM

Looking for insights for upgrading '08 GT performance

Hey guys, just looking for some opinions here. My '08 GT so far is mostly cosmetically modified (body mods, AB exhaust, wheels) and very lightly performance modified (Airaid CAI with a mild 87-oct Bama tune, wider stickier tires, and 4.10's awaiting install).

I'm starting to want to do more on the performance end. I really would love to do FI, but honestly more for what I'd consider cosmetic reasons than performance (I love the sound and the looks under the hood). And it's a huge price tag for very little daily usability, and this is my DD for the time being.

Obviously, as this is a DD, being able to pass NJ\PA inspections will be important to me as well, as I intend to continue living in this region for at least another 3 years or so, so any engine\exhaust mods will have to take that into consideration. I have no desire to trade it in or sell it, so resale value is not important to me. By the time I'd ever even consider getting rid of it, it'd be practically worthless anyhow. And no, I'm not willing to upgrade to the newer 5.0s. This is the body style I like best.

My wheel\tire setup is staggered (19x9 255/40 front, 19x10 285/35 rear), but I plan on getting an extra set for the rear to be square all around for possible track day options in the future.

TL;DR:
I want a more agile, powerful '08 GT that's still going to pass emissions and be daily drivable, and am looking for suggestions to grab a few more ponies besides just going FI (if I go that route, I'm heavily leaning towards Paxton Novi 2200, or Roush), and what to do to improve handling substantially (was leaning towards the Ford Racing assembled handling package with new UCA\LCAs.)

Opinions from those with actual track experience most greatly appreciated, but willing to take suggestions from all.

Most mods will be made over the course of the next 2 years, as I save the money for them, so if you recommend a particular order to do things, I appreciate that.

Thanks in advance, folks.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...364b82706f.jpg

My '08 Vapor Silver GT

Cavero 3/13/16 07:26 PM

A supercharger can be perfectly driveable w/ a decent tune. If you're thinking drivability, maybe a centrifugal? They make most of their power in the mid and high RPM range, so driving around town in the lower RPMs won't be an issue.

I'd personally start working on suspension mods (springs, LCAs, swaybars, etc), but thats me :) Having a good suspension set up will not only make the car feel immensely more nimble, but will help handle the extra HP/TQ from the FI setup.

esfkotaro 3/16/16 01:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. My issue with the SC isn't driveability, i know they can be tame around town. My issue is the huge expenditure to get power that I'll almost never get a chance to really make use of. I'll probably do it, because who doesn't want more power, needed or not? But I'm going to go with suspension\brakes first.

Any suggestion on a good suspension setup for my needs, or am I pretty well set going with the Ford Racing Assembled Handling Package, plus new LCA\UCA?

lowblustang00 3/16/16 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Love your wheel and color combo, but I'm a little biased.

lowblustang00 3/16/16 07:08 AM

I agree on the suspension, and Koni is having their annual sale right now.

I am currently running several Steeda components.

Steeda springs with Koni Yellow shocks. Steeda lower control arms, strut tower brace and Lower A-arm brace.

My ride is fairly comparable to stock with this setup, with exception to big bumps, the shorter travel in the rear can mean bottoming out occasionally.

lowblustang00 3/16/16 09:03 AM

I also picked up a set of low mile Brembos on eBay. They came from a wrecked 13GT with around 13,000 miles on it. Canes with rotors pads and calipers for $600. Which is about half what they go for new. As a bonus it came with the rears too.

esfkotaro 3/16/16 12:30 PM

Awesome deal you got, and the color\wheel combo was uh...let's just say "inspired" by another thread here. Not sure if I can remember whose thread that was ;)

Yours certainly looks much cleaner than my own. I really need to buy new detailing supplies, everything I had got misplaced when my brother's family moved out of here\into their new place.

Edit: I have looked at Steeda, as I've always been a big fan of their products with my past Mustangs, but I was leaning towards the FR AHP just because it was such a simple install (no need for spring compressor\strut machine). My plan was to get the AHP from Ford, and LCA's\UCAs from Steeda, and probably do their ball joint and bump steer kit down the road a little.

07 Boss 3/22/16 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by esfkotaro (Post 6972113)
Thanks for the reply. My issue with the SC isn't driveability, i know they can be tame around town. My issue is the huge expenditure to get power that I'll almost never get a chance to really make use of. I'll probably do it, because who doesn't want more power, needed or not? But I'm going to go with suspension\brakes first.

Any suggestion on a good suspension setup for my needs, or am I pretty well set going with the Ford Racing Assembled Handling Package, plus new LCA\UCA?

Well it looks like your on the right track as far as direction. I always tell people to build from the ground up for the best results.

Shouldn't be any reason not to go FI and pass smog. I pass every year without any issues. Well I do swap my mid-pipe out or use my MIL eliminators but that is a quick fix.

As far as suspension parts I'm a big fan of BMR. I think they make some of the best quality parts and by far have the best customer service and care.

m05fastbackGT 3/22/16 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cavero (Post 6971757)
A supercharger can be perfectly driveable w/ a decent tune. If you're thinking drivability, maybe a centrifugal? They make most of their power in the mid and high RPM range, so driving around town in the lower RPMs won't be an issue.

I respectfully disagree.. As for drivability is concerned, when driving around town in the lower RPM ranges.. PD type superchargers are also not an issue either..

I know this from personal experience, as I have a Saleen series VI S/C on my 2006 GT..

Under normal driving conditions, my car doesn't even see boost until well into the upper mid and high RPM ranges, otherwise drivability is just like stock..

Therefore if drivability is your concern.. You can't go wrong with either a Centrifugal or Positive Displacement type supercharger IMHO..

Plus you also have more to select from with PD blowers, such as Whipple, Roush TV-S, Ford Racing, Kenne Bell and Edelbrock e-force..

Another factor to consider is.. A twin screw PD blower is also far less stressful on an engine than a Centrifugal is as well..

Originally Posted by Cavero (Post 6971757)
I'd personally start working on suspension mods (springs, LCAs, swaybars, etc), but thats me :) Having a good suspension set up will not only make the car feel immensely more nimble, but will help handle the extra HP/TQ from the FI setup.

This :agree: ^^^^^^^

inspecto 5/19/16 02:07 PM

love the color which mine was that or gun meatal