The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Koni STR.T shocks and struts installed (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/koni-str-t-shocks-struts-installed-479901/)

ryan1112 2/5/10 10:59 PM

I've got Koni STR.T shocks and Steeda HD mounts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I already have Ultralites. I can't wait to install them but we are under about a foot of snow right now. This weather is killing me. I guess this gives me a little time to find a good alignment shop. Sam advised me on what to get along with some setup tips.
It figures that they would go on sale less than a week after I bought them. Doh... :doh:

ryan1112 2/6/10 10:06 PM

OK here's an alignment question. I've talked to Sam about this but I wanted to share with everyone. I autocross and I'd like to be able have a street setup that I can change when I get to the track. I know that I can adjust the camber with the Steeda strut mounts but my question is where would I put marks on the strut mount to know how far to adjust? Would I mark it on the strut nut? I understand that I would put a mark on the mounts for both the street setting and the track setting. The track setting may just be all the way in though.

Also, Sam said that in his experience the toe does not change very much with the camber adjustment from these strut mounts. In theory though, would the toe go more positive or negative when giving more negative camber?

whysoserious 2/7/10 05:25 PM

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new struts and shocks. I replaced my stockers with Tokico D specs and while they aren't quite as refined as the Koni's, they were a huge improvment none the less. Dampers were definitely the biggest weakness in the 05-09 suspension.

70MACH1OWNER 2/14/10 10:26 AM

Ordered up a set of these today. I am going to stick with the stock suspension on my daily driving Vert. But I am looking to a little better handling and hope to get rid of some of that side skip crap in the rearend.:nice:

sam strano 2/15/10 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER (Post 5816770)
Ordered up a set of these today. I am going to stick with the stock suspension on my daily driving Vert. But I am looking to a little better handling and hope to get rid of some of that side skip crap in the rearend.:nice:

And they are shipping tomorrow... :) Be ready for that back end to dance around a lot less, and the whole car to just feel more planted! It will be a nice change. :nice:

70MACH1OWNER 2/16/10 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by sam strano (Post 5817427)
And they are shipping tomorrow... :) Be ready for that back end to dance around a lot less, and the whole car to just feel more planted! It will be a nice change. :nice:

Thanks Sam. I can't wait!

ov3n 2/16/10 04:41 AM

How do these compare to Steeda Pro Action shocks/struts?

shanec 2/17/10 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by sam strano (Post 5811885)
Glad I could help, and that you like the results.

FWIW, that setup now is actually about $40 less (sorry Jaden). Koni SRT.T went on sale 2/1 for that much off. If I had known, I've have let you know. :(

Notice the part about the car not wheelhopping? That's pretty normal when you lower these things, so I recommend to my customers unless you have a lot of power and/or drag race to wait on LCA's and such to see if you need them. Most don't and are happy that I didn't just take their money.... At least I hope they are.

Sam, I'm curious to know if most people that get these mods need adjustable panhards.

sam strano 2/18/10 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ov3n (Post 5817707)
How do these compare to Steeda Pro Action shocks/struts?

As a Steeda Distributor I can sell Pro-Actions all day long. But really, I prefer the Koni's. I think they have better damping control and are a little more durable as well. And if you need it (which is rare), Koni is excellent about warranty too.

sam strano 2/18/10 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by shanec (Post 5818609)
Sam, I'm curious to know if most people that get these mods need adjustable panhards.

You'd only require an adjustable PHB if you change your ride height. Even then it's not like you can't drive the car if you don't have an adjustable PHB... but the body will be shifted a bit relative to the axle if you don't have one.

Commbubba19 2/18/10 01:31 PM

Sam:

I auto X about 5-7 times a year. Currently running the following suspension mods:

HR SS Springs
J&M LCA's
J&M LCA Drop Brackets
Adj Frt Sway bar
larger rear sway bar
Ford A-Arm brace
BMR adj phb

I've been running this setup for about 2 years, 20k miles. Obviously the factory shocks/struts aren't cutting it anymore. I can tell they are getting worn.

What would you recommend? Koni STR.T, Koni Adjustables, Tokico's, etc. I don't want to waist $400+ on shocks and get a crappy ride. I was saving for the Koni Yellows but with them being back ordered, who knows when I'll get them.

70MACH1OWNER 2/18/10 04:02 PM

Hey Sam,
Got mine today!!:salute: Now I just need to get rid of the 2 ft of snow on the ground!!:banghead:
Thanks for the great service!!
Scott

anteyeiabazele 2/19/10 10:22 AM

Hey yall mustang ridas i just bought these for 294$+25$ S&H I think it's a good deal.
What do you guys think?
I think there's one more available on Ebay on that price!

70MACH1OWNER 2/24/10 03:36 PM

I have a question. I have seen opinions both ways on this subject. Here goes. After replacing the front struts do you need to get a front end alignment? I know the safest thing to do is get one. But I also know that since I don't have caster/camber plates the only adjustment is for toe in. And that should remain intact. I have seen opinions both ways. So I guess is it really necessary?:dunno:
Scott

MARZ 2/24/10 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by anteyeiabazele (Post 5819206)
Hey yall mustang ridas i just bought these for 294$+25$ S&H I think it's a good deal.
What do you guys think?
I think there's one more available on Ebay on that price!

I'm not sure what other suspension modifications you have planned, but the Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda HD strut mounts and Koni STR.T's, as Jaden stated earlier, ride even better than stock. Gone is the "floating" feel of the stock suspension. Now my car is planted, regardless of what kind of pavement I'm traveling over.

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER (Post 5821523)
I have a question. I have seen opinions both ways on this subject. Here goes. After replacing the front struts do you need to get a front end alignment? I know the safest thing to do is get one. But I also know that since I don't have caster/camber plates the only adjustment is for toe in. And that should remain intact. I have seen opinions both ways. So I guess is it really necessary?:dunno:
Scott

I had my alignment checked after the installation of my components and it was dead-on. That may have been an anomaly, though, because the guys checking my alignment had never seen that, apparently.

Jaden 2/25/10 04:54 PM

My toe and camber where out of whack after the install, so I'd recommend at least getting it checked.

anteyeiabazele 3/5/10 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jaden (Post 5800695)
I also replaced the factory strut mounts with Steeda's heavy duty mounts. The Steeda mounts made the alignment a piece of cake.

If i don't lower the car but install the Koni STR T's do i need to replace the factory strut mounts?:dunno:

zoomerman46 3/5/10 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by anteyeiabazele (Post 5825492)
If i don't lower the car but install the Koni STR T's do i need to replace the factory strut mounts?:dunno:

No you don't but I did when just recently replacing the stock struts with the Koni SRT-T struts. I got them from CJ ponyparts for about $60.00. Personally I think it's worth going that way. How many times do you want to have to take them struts out and pull them a part to replace the strut mounts. I have the stock Ford springs in the front and Roush 1" lower springs on the rearend. Car feels rock solid with this combo.

anteyeiabazele 3/8/10 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by zoomerman46 (Post 5825582)
No you don't but I did when just recently replacing the stock struts with the Koni SRT-T struts. I got them from CJ ponyparts for about $60.00. Personally I think it's worth going that way. How many times do you want to have to take them struts out and pull them a part to replace the strut mounts. I have the stock Ford springs in the front and Roush 1" lower springs on the rearend. Car feels rock solid with this combo.

I'm guessing you went with the GT500 strut mounts?
Cause the STEEDA HD Strut mounts cost abt $250

anteyeiabazele 3/19/10 08:29 AM

So is anyone gonna post pics on their ultra lites?