The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Insight on 3 inch exhaust.... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/insight-3-inch-exhaust-448925/)

Fast351 3/13/07 02:20 PM

Insight on 3 inch exhaust....

Looking at the new Magnaflow 3 inch exhaust. I have heard in certain intances you can lose a little torque or low end, unless you are running a power adder, due to the diameter. Anyone intrested in laying out some insight or suggestion on this. I've seen it and heard it up close, so I think I am already sold, but I am also still curious. :dunno:

don_w 3/13/07 03:18 PM

Since you asked... I feel a 3" exhaust is over kill for a 281 inch motor, even with forced induction. I can't see it doing much good unless you have like 400+ ci. Just my 2 pennies.

TillmanSpeed 3/13/07 03:32 PM

2.5" Straight Through!

70MACH1OWNER 3/13/07 03:42 PM

I agree with the guys above.. A good flowing 2 1/2 inch exhaust will support big horsepower in these engines. Just my .02. Spend you money elsewhere.
Scott

TillmanSpeed 3/13/07 03:45 PM

Ideal setup... 1 3/4" american racing headers with or without cats meeting up with a straight through axle-back system. This will support huge horsepower number 600ish with cats, much more without cats.

I think the first priority would be AR Headers with matching X :nice:

169stang 3/14/07 08:39 AM

I disagree 100%. Everyone was saying I was going to loose hp/tq b/c of the lack of backpressure. Not the case at all. I had 1 3/4" Longtubes with 3" exhaust out the back, and cat delete. It was all Stainless Works. I picked up 22rwhp/22rwtq. At the time, I was N/A, using SCT being tuned by Steeda. The tuner at Steeda was saying it was going to loose hp/tq due to backpressure. He was surprised to see the gains.

You can get any exhaust from Lethal Performance. (that link takes you to their main exhaust page). They have some awesome pricing and their service is top notch!

theedge67 3/14/07 10:19 AM

I wonder how much you picked up because of the longtubes and no cats? Wonder what your numbers would be if you stuck with the 2.5" tubing instead??

70MACH1OWNER 3/14/07 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 169stang (Post 865330)
I disagree 100%. Everyone was saying I was going to loose hp/tq b/c of the lack of backpressure. Not the case at all. I had 1 3/4" Longtubes with 3" exhaust out the back, and cat delete. It was all Stainless Works. I picked up 22rwhp/22rwtq. At the time, I was N/A, using SCT being tuned by Steeda. The tuner at Steeda was saying it was going to loose hp/tq due to backpressure. He was surprised to see the gains.

You can get any exhaust from Lethal Performance. (that link takes you to their main exhaust page). They have some awesome pricing and their service is top notch!

David
I am not surprised by your final results. The problem is you changed to many variables at the same time. I would also think most of your gains came from the longtubes. It sure would interesting to run your car with both 2 1/2 and 3 inch pipes to see if their is any difference. That is the only fair comparasion. N/A of course. Nice to see you back at TMS also.
Scott :nice: