GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

High flow cats

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/17, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High flow cats

Does anyone have any info with passing or not passing emission tests in PA with high flow cats?
Old 11/13/17, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Yeah it would be great if someone from PA with direct experience would chime in on this . . . in the mean time my general knowledge based on MA is:

Technically, any modification to the cats whatsoever it not allowed and "should fail." However, it depends on whether the inspection guy actually looks and can tell the difference.

If they don't look, and the ODBII port reports all sensors showing normal/correct signal, then it will pass. I assume in PA they do the same as MA, meaning they do not do the exhaust sniffer test any more, but instead rely on the on board diagnostics computer.

The rear O2 sensors must not be turned off in your tune; they must be reporting "ready" and correct signal indicating correct functioning of the cats.
Old 11/13/17, 08:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Are your 02 sensors turned off ?
Old 11/13/17, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
You will be fine if there is no visual inspection.
Old 11/13/17, 04:38 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Technically under federal and PA law an inspector can fail the vehicle for removal of OEM equipped catalytic devices at their discretion following visual inspection.. However if the vehicle qualifies under PA state emission exemption requirements of 5k miles or less per year, the vehicle is then exempt from PA state emissions inspection.. But legally an inspector can still fail the vehicle if they choose to do a visual inspection and can then determine that the factory catalytic devices in question have been removed even if the vehicle is exempt from emissions inspection.. Although chances are most inspectors will make an exception and won't even bother to check, but again there is no guarantee..

That being said, if you have a good working relationship with the inspection station, chances are they won't even bother with a visual inspection, especially if they're already aware of the fact that the vehicle in question is exempt from emissions inspection to begin with anyhow..

At any rate, the info provided here is directly thru my own personal experience and mine alone

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/13/17 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11/13/17, 05:02 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Yeah it would be great if someone from PA with direct experience would chime in on this . . . in the mean time my general knowledge based on MA is:

Technically, any modification to the cats whatsoever it not allowed and "should fail." However, it depends on whether the inspection guy actually looks and can tell the difference.

If they don't look, and the ODBII port reports all sensors showing normal/correct signal, then it will pass. I assume in PA they do the same as MA, meaning they do not do the exhaust sniffer test any more, but instead rely on the on board diagnostics computer.

The rear O2 sensors must not be turned off in your tune; they must be reporting "ready" and correct signal indicating correct functioning of the cats.
Yes, you are correct and PA does indeed only use OBDII port diagnostics for emissions inspection..