The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Granatelli Coil Packs, any real dyno proof (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/granatelli-coil-packs-any-real-dyno-proof-465897/)

tom281 3/26/08 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed (Post 5536393)
Hey, if they send us a set, we'll install and test for them on the dyno. We can do one on a stock vehicle, and one on a modified vehicle. I'm sure they make a good difference.

CR

I offered this to JR Granatelli last year, offering to pay his price (retail) if they had gains and his cost if they didn't. That way no matter what, GMS wasn't out any $$. I never received a response from JR. It would be interesting to see, since claims are made on the GMS site.

AND NO, I AM NOT BASHING GMS! :nice:

RRRoamer 3/26/08 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by uberPony (Post 5536117)
I have also run the aftermarket COPs on my car when naturally aspirated. I did not dyno the results, but the car ran smoother, less hesitation and felt better all-around.
I have switched back and forth while running the supercharger from OEM, to MSD to GMS COPs.
I personally feel the GMS COPs perform the best of the three. When I see Brent White I will dyno the aftermarket COPs maybe in May.
When I was N/A though I still was happy with the mod.

Quick question: Was it a blind test? Did you know what COPs where on the car at any given test? If so, it really wasn't valid. Our minds are very interesting devices. If we THINK we should see/feel/hear/notice some improvement, then we have a VERY large change of seeing/feeling/hearing/noticing the expected improvement, even if it never existed. And because this is happening in your mind, it is VERY hard for you to know it is happening.

Steve@GMS 3/26/08 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed (Post 5536393)
Hey, if they send us a set, we'll install and test for them on the dyno. We can do one on a stock vehicle, and one on a modified vehicle. I'm sure they make a good difference.

CR

I think you will be hearing from me shortly...

70MACH1OWNER 3/26/08 06:17 PM

I really want to know the truth about these COPS on a N/A motor. I acually spoke to one of the Big 3 tuners for our Stangs about the MDS COPS today about the before and after results of the COPS. This is what I was told......."they seem to improve gas mileage...they seem to smooth the idle....they seem to improve throttle respone. But we see no improvement in power!!! That is pretty much a quote. This may explain why we have never seen a dyno sheet before and after on this product regardless of the manufacturer!!
Scott:dunno:

turbo05gt 3/26/08 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by tom281 (Post 5536496)
I offered this to JR Granatelli last year, offering to pay his price (retail) if they had gains and his cost if they didn't. That way no matter what, GMS wasn't out any $$. I never received a response from JR. It would be interesting to see, since claims are made on the GMS site.

AND NO, I AM NOT BASHING GMS! :nice:

I offered to dyno a stock car and a blown one with the COPs with the same responce, or lack there of.

TillmanSpeed 3/27/08 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Steve@GMS (Post 5536533)
I think you will be hearing from me shortly...

No problem, call the work cell (484)390-0343 if you need to get ahold of me directly.

TillmanSpeed 3/27/08 01:05 PM

Installed a set on a twin turbo 04 cobra about 3 weeks ago. They worked great. Didn't do any before and after, because we did the install on the turbos as well. If I had known, that would have been a great way to find FI numbers on the COP's.

CR

turbo05gt 3/27/08 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed (Post 5536990)
Installed a set on a twin turbo 04 cobra about 3 weeks ago. They worked great. Didn't do any before and after, because we did the install on the turbos as well. If I had known, that would have been a great way to find FI numbers on the COP's.

CR

Why the Cobra coils work great?

Black GT500 3/27/08 02:37 PM

Wow! Now that is cool.

http://www.plasmatronicsllc.com/faq.html

http://www.plasmatronicsllc.com/play.html

http://www.plasmatronicsllc.com/index.html

Originally Posted by RRRoamer (Post 5535697)

Several years ago, I read about an experiment at some university in Australia. They were experimenting with a true plasma ignition system. Basically, they used a tiny prechamber and ignited a very, very rich mixture of fresh air and hydrogen gas. That caused a jet of burning hydrogen plasma to be shot into the main combustion chamber. That burning plasma would light pretty much anything.

They were able to actually throttle the engine on gasoline just like a diesel engine: No throttle body, just adjust the amount of fuel injected to determine power output. It could light mixtures leaner than 28:1. And it ran VERY smooth with incredibly complete combustion. I'm not sure what happened to the technology, but if I had to guess, I would say emissions (mainly oxides of nitrogen) probably killed it.

exgto 3/27/08 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER (Post 5536549)
I really want to know the truth about these COPS on a N/A motor. I acually spoke to one of the Big 3 tuners for our Stangs about the MDS COPS today about the before and after results of the COPS. This is what I was told......."they seem to improve gas mileage...they seem to smooth the idle....they seem to improve throttle respone. But we see no improvement in power!!! That is pretty much a quote. This may explain why we have never seen a dyno sheet before and after on this product regardless of the manufacturer!!
Scott:dunno:

I completely agree. I have read posts on other sites of people going from stock/GMS/MDS and back to stock because there was no gain in performance on the dyno.

blkstang06 3/27/08 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by exgto (Post 5537104)
I completely agree. I have read posts on other sites of people going from stock/GMS/MDS and back to stock because there was no gain in performance on the dyno.

+ 1 ....

TillmanSpeed 3/28/08 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by turbo05gt (Post 5537011)
Why the Cobra coils work great?

We just noticed that the car was running very efficiently with them in. VE & Timing was looking great the whole time.

CR
Tillman Speed, Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776

uberPony 3/28/08 09:51 AM

completely agree. I have read posts on other sites of people going from stock/GMS/MDS and back to stock because there was no gain in performance on the dyno.
Really? What forum? I am the only person I have seen that has run MSD and GMS and posts on the forums.

Please post that link to those results because I have not seen a single dyno sheet showing no gain. I was one of the people that went back to OEM COPs for a while because the first version of the GMS COPs had several early coil failures. One guy posted he lost horsepwer because he had a bad GMS COP. That does not mean anything. You will lose horsepower even with OEM COPs if one goes bad, duh.

Black GT500 3/30/08 12:26 PM

Do you have Dyno runs that actually show a horsepower gain with any of the aftermarket COPs over stock?

Originally Posted by uberPony (Post 5537553)
Really? What forum? I am the only person I have seen that has run MSD and GMS and posts on the forums.

Please post that link to those results because I have not seen a single dyno sheet showing no gain. I was one of the people that went back to OEM COPs for a while because the first version of the GMS COPs had several early coil failures. One guy posted he lost horsepwer because he had a bad GMS COP. That does not mean anything. You will lose horsepower even with OEM COPs if one goes bad, duh.

TillmanSpeed 4/1/08 11:26 AM

We would love to have some solid dyno results.

turbo05gt 4/1/08 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed (Post 5540113)
We would love to have some solid dyno results.

good luck.

Dex 4/17/08 03:51 PM

Any update on this?

I will be running 16lbs of boost on my motor (turbo) and I will make somewhere in the area of 700rwhp (T76). I would be very interested in trying GMS' product out and see how well it helps in high boost/hp applications. I also have a friend with a stock n/a car I could test.

I really want to know how big of an increase you will get with these.

dieselboy28 4/17/08 03:55 PM

hey dex ill be that friend if ya want:D i think these will be a big advantage on yours

Dex 4/17/08 03:58 PM

haha I was actually thinking about you being the n/a car

Dex 4/18/08 07:14 PM

nothing?