The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Which Ford strut mount do I want? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/ford-strut-mount-do-i-want-471931/)

WaltM 8/25/08 03:00 PM

Which Ford strut mount do I want?

Ok;

I'm almost ready to get my shocks and struts installed. All I need to do is to get replacement strut mounts. Since I don't plan on doing any track racing, I'm going to go with the Ford factory replacements. The problem is that they're three different ones listed.

A) 7R3Z-18183-A is an upgraded part.
B) M-18183-A is listed as a replacement part
C) GT500 (I don't know what the part# is.

So which ones do I want to order?

Thanks

Walt

Embalmer 8/25/08 04:50 PM

The first part number is correct. The second one is a Motorcraft part and the GT500 ones clunk like the original ones did.

azoufan 8/25/08 04:55 PM

I went through 3 sets of the OEM replacements after struts and springs, finally bit the bullet and paid $300 for the Steeda's, not a single problem since. They have lots of adjustment tolerance too, so you can get the alignment done properly. In my book, worth the $.

05stangkc 8/25/08 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by WaltM (Post 5621091)
Ok;

I'm almost ready to get my shocks and struts installed. All I need to do is to get replacement strut mounts. Since I don't plan on doing any track racing, I'm going to go with the Ford factory replacements. The problem is that they're three different ones listed.

A) 7R3Z-18183-A is an upgraded part.
B) M-18183-A is listed as a replacement part
C) GT500 (I don't know what the part# is.

So which ones do I want to order?

Thanks

A is The GT-500 Mount I Recommend These
b is the Ford Racing Part Number and Are Identical to A
These are 30% Stronger than the Non Gt-500 Mounts

KC

Walt

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

WaltM 8/25/08 07:29 PM

So they're all the same? I heard that the GT500 isn't a perfect fit (the studs are too tall). Will they fit ok?

WaltM 8/25/08 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by azoufan (Post 5621176)
I went through 3 sets of the OEM replacements after struts and springs, finally bit the bullet and paid $300 for the Steeda's, not a single problem since. They have lots of adjustment tolerance too, so you can get the alignment done properly. In my book, worth the $.

I'm sure they're great, but way too pricey. That's almost a set of struts for my SVO, that needs alot of TLC (especially lately).

I'm trying to make practicle decisions without compromising either project. The Ford pieces will suit my driving style while getting the job done the right way.

Glenn 8/26/08 06:01 AM

Which struts and springs are you going with?

WaltM 8/26/08 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5621531)
Which struts and springs are you going with?

FRPP :grin:

05stangkc 8/26/08 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by WaltM (Post 5621284)
So they're all the same? I heard that the GT500 isn't a perfect fit (the studs are too tall). Will they fit ok?

They are Just a Tad Taller which is Better For Strut bar Attachment. Should Fit No Prob.

KC

Pwny 8/26/08 01:31 PM

I would go with Steeda's. I'm going to replace my stock ones with them.

c25sailor 8/26/08 03:14 PM

The Steeda's are worth every penny. No clunk or pop and you have the camber adjustment w/o having to get plates.

Jon_Purdy 8/28/08 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
According to the TSB for front end noise over bumps, the part number for the revised upper strut mount is 8R3Z-18183-B. That is the part I will be ordering as my J&M camber plates make too much noise, even though said noise is considered normal for a part with a spherical bearing.

Jon

05stangkc 9/2/08 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy (Post 5623997)
According to the TSB for front end noise over bumps, the part number for the revised upper strut mount is 8R3Z-18183-B. That is the part I will be ordering as my J&M camber plates make too much noise, even though said noise is considered normal for a part with a spherical bearing.

Jon

Those are The Latest and Greatest as Far as Base and Gt Models. They are Good but the Gt-500 Mounts Should Be Better. They are Only about $8.00 Difference Cheaper Ea. Than the 500 Mounts. But both are Better than the Early Clunkers.

KC

rony1976 9/3/08 08:19 AM

I would go with Steeda, otherwise, when the new set you purchase goes bad, by the time you have to get a second set, you'll be close to the cost of the Steeda one. Find a Authorized Steeda parts dealer, they can get it a little cheaper (I paid $230 for mine, 'cause they didn't care to make money off of it, I was getting other work done with the shop). JMO.

highvolts 9/4/08 09:12 AM

Is there a way to tell if you have the newer upgraded ones? I have an mid to early 07.

Rebel73 1/13/09 12:02 PM

Reviving this thread cause I'm looking for a good source to order the upgraded Ford mounts...

anyone?

The Reverend 1/13/09 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by rony1976 (Post 5626698)
I would go with Steeda, otherwise, when the new set you purchase goes bad, by the time you have to get a second set, you'll be close to the cost of the Steeda one. Find a Authorized Steeda parts dealer, they can get it a little cheaper (I paid $230 for mine, 'cause they didn't care to make money off of it, I was getting other work done with the shop). JMO.

Looking for a vendor selling Steeda HD for $230 or less.