GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flowmaster's lead in sound and performance

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/05, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently have the SLP loudmouth exhaust system. I love the sound, it's just plain sick. But, for a daily driver the interior resonance is bothersome.

I read the article linked below and shortly after ordered the Flowmaster axle-backs. I read a lot of articles in here about many different exhaust systems but was finally sold on this one.

I recommend reading this if your on the fence about what kind of exhuast to buy.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03...flers/index.php

On a side note, I mentioned in a different post that anyone who makes a decent offer on my LoudMouths can have them. I should have waited to say that since my stockers are in storage and I have nothing to put on my car if I shipped them off to the buyer. To be honest I didn't expect to get so many responses. Once I installed the Flowmasters (in about a week) I will sell the Loudmouths for $175 + shipping (since that seems to be the acceptable rate) and clean them up all nice and pretty for ya'
Old 9/22/05, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree, these seem to be about the best all around. When MM&FF tested the axle-backs, these picked up the most low-end power, and didn't loose power in the upper RPM like a couple other systems. In all due respect, the same can be said about the Bassani & Ford Racing / Borla axle-backs too.

However, the Bassani seems to be about $175-$200 more than the Flowmasters are. I've seen a few people complain about sever power or gas mileage loss after install of the Ford Racing / Borla exhausts, although that problem seems to work it's self out after a bit.
Old 9/22/05, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Need to look into the new Hooker Axle-backs too.

They just came out, so none were included in all the "Sound Off" competitions that were done last month.

They're not too shabby (if you're willing to pay alittle extra).

Tom
Old 9/22/05, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

True, the flowmasters are awesome...my neighbor has em and I hear it every single day...

I'd still rather go with Borla/FRPP's. I just WISH i could hear those in person...
Old 9/22/05, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

The problem with the straight-through design as a whole is that you've still got the interior sound resonance. Sure they sound fricken' sweet, but interior noise isn't worth it to me.
Old 9/22/05, 12:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by KWMJ-KTP@September 22, 2005, 12:26 PM
I agree, these seem to be about the best all around. When MM&FF tested the axle-backs, these picked up the most low-end power, and didn't loose power in the upper RPM like a couple other systems. In all due respect, the same can be said about the Bassani & Ford Racing / Borla axle-backs too.

However, the Bassani seems to be about $175-$200 more than the Flowmasters are. I've seen a few people complain about sever power or gas mileage loss after install of the Ford Racing / Borla exhausts, although that problem seems to work it's self out after a bit.

Yeah.. that loss in gas milage is probably directly related to the weight of their foot..... enjoying the sound of their new pipes.
Old 9/22/05, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tech@September 22, 2005, 12:52 PM
The problem with the straight-through design as a whole is that you've still got the interior sound resonance. Sure they sound fricken' sweet, but interior noise isn't worth it to me.
You mean straight pipes, or are you talking about the Flowies?
Old 9/22/05, 01:17 PM
GT Member

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Loudmouths...I think they are straight through. Flowmaster uses angled plates in the chamber to reduce some of the resonance....
Old 9/22/05, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

No, the straight pipes. But it's not just that, it's also the FRPP/Borla's, Corsa, Steeda, Roush and whoever makes that style of axle-back. The addition of that canister muffler doesn't really do much vs. a muffler delete.

The chambered muffler cancels noise by science. The only real way the canister muffler would cancel noise effectively is if it was on the very end of the pipe....which would look rediculous.
Old 9/22/05, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been ordering the rest of my parts today. Just ordered the Flowmaster's from Summit Racing. They were $275.95 + $8.95 for shipping, and no sales tax so the Grand Total is $284.90. They said it would ship today and take 2-3 business days to get here. Can't wait. I just have to wait for all of my parts to get here now, so I can do it all at once and get it in for tuning soon after.

I also ordered my Throttle Body and Cold-Air Kit today too. I went with the C&L CAI and the Motoblue twin-62mm Throttle Body. I ordered from RPMOutlet, and unfortunately, they are located in the suburbs of Houston, so hopefully Hurricane Rita does not delay things too much. My salesperson said UPS was closed until Monday, so they would not be able to ship my C&L until then. The Thorttle Body is out of stock, but they are scheduled to get some more in towards the end of next week. Their website shows that the Throttle Body is shipped Next-Day UPS however.

They sale the C&L for $349.95 and the Throttle Body for $474.95. I haggled a little, and they let me have the Throttle Body for $424.95 if I would prepay now -- so I did. I probably should have got the K&N CAI since it is $120 less than the C&L, but I like the look of the C&L a little better. Both items ship for free and there were no taxes. Total cost $784.85. I would have preferred to have the BBK CAI & TB for $600 plus shipping, but I just can't wait till December, or longer!

I have Roush Underdrive Pullies coming from MustangsUnlimited, and I am buying the SCT X2 from Tuner/Technician, so I should be set to go once everything gets here.

Should be no trouble at all getting over 300 RWHP -- or so I hope!
Old 9/22/05, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for hijacking the thread.

Not trying to be a weiner or anything, but what the he** does any of that have to do with the topic at hand.
Old 9/22/05, 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tech@September 22, 2005, 1:40 PM

Not trying to be a weiner or anything, but what the he** does any of that have to do with the topic at hand.

Old 9/22/05, 01:57 PM
GT Member

Sound is awesome, looks is awesome, and for the price compared to the others, you can't beat it.
Old 9/22/05, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tech@September 22, 2005, 3:40 PM

Well, it started out just saying that I ordered the Flowmasters too, but then I got carried away when I turned my post into a short novel of what else I was up to with the car. I'll try not to hijack anymore
Old 9/22/05, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Blullitt05@September 22, 2005, 4:00 PM

Sound is awesome, looks is awesome, and for the price compared to the others, you can't beat it.

Hey hey, another GA boy. I think I saw your car earlier today. I work in Dunwoody and I swear I drove by you. You don't hear from many people in Georgia here.
Old 9/22/05, 02:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Wardog 07@September 22, 2005, 2:33 PM
Need to look into the new Hooker Axle-backs too.

They just came out, so none were included in all the "Sound Off" competitions that were done last month.

They're not too shabby (if you're willing to pay alittle extra).

Tom
My Hookers are sitting in my garage waiting to get mounted on Saturday morning. You can take that however you like
Old 9/22/05, 04:12 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by tech@September 22, 2005, 10:56 AM
I should have waited to say that since my stockers are in storage and I have nothing to put on my car if I shipped them off to the buyer.

Just run open mufflers. I did it for 2 months and it was fine, just some occasional bumping when you go over bumps in the road, but nothing bad. I just got my 4" echo tips welded on yesterday and now the back side of my pipe is being supported with the origional muffler hangers. Sounds a little better and no more bumping, but no mufflers at all is ok if you need to do it.

Oh yea, there's no "drone" at highhway speeds or street driving. Just a little at mid/high RPM's which I am only in when ripping gears.
Old 9/22/05, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MTAS@September 22, 2005, 3:02 PM
My Hookers are sitting in my garage waiting to get mounted on Saturday morning. You can take that however you like
Is it easy mounting hookers?
Old 9/22/05, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@September 22, 2005, 4:17 PM
Is it easy mounting hookers?
These type of things are more complicated than they used to be. When I was younger, I mounted a few Hookers. Now I just pay someone else to do it while I watch.

Old 9/22/05, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had the Flows for about five months now. I love the sound when decelerating too. That article was what sold me too.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster's lead in sound and performance