GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First oil change - help

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/05, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 GT now has about 1800 miles on it.

I'm going to change the oil in the car for the first time.

What oil should I use ?

What oil filter should I use ?

How much oil should I use ?

Thanks for helping.

I'm ashamed to admit it but I've never changed the oil in any car by myself

I got a couple of plastic ramps.

Will the ramps damage my 05 GT? It doesn't seem like it will since the wheels are very close to the front of the car and the car does not sit low.

And can I drain the oil with the car tilted slightly (because of the ramp)?
Old 1/21/05, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

i just changed mine for the 1st time this week.
i used the motocraft 5-20
will swith to amsoil 5-20 after my second change
it took 6.5 quarts
i use wix filters they cost a little more but in my opinion they are woth it
you can use ramps as long as they will clear
the angle will help the pan drain
i used a floor jack and jack stands
you will need a 16 mil wrench to remove your drain plug and a regular size filter wrench to remover the filter
Old 1/26/05, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by tx2005gt@January 21, 2005, 1:27 PM
i just changed mine for the 1st time this week.
i used the motocraft 5-20
will swith to amsoil 5-20 after my second change
it took 6.5 quarts
i use wix filters they cost a little more but in my opinion they are woth it
you can use ramps as long as they will clear
the angle will help the pan drain
i used a floor jack and jack stands
you will need a 16 mil wrench to remove your drain plug and a regular size filter wrench to remover the filter
The 4.6 is only takes 6 quarts per the owners manual.
Old 1/27/05, 12:35 PM
GT Member

Did my first change at 2400 miles last week.

Mobil1 0-20
Motocraft FL-820 filter

Anyone else have a fun time trying to use a socket wrench and filter adapter to remove? There is a sway bar or stabilizer RIGHT behind the filter. Had to get creative.

Took a little bit over 6 quarts to bring it perfect... even though capacity is listed at 6.

Running real smooth since.
Old 1/27/05, 01:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 05silverGT@January 27, 2005, 1:38 PM
Anyone else have a fun time trying to use a socket wrench and filter adapter to remove? There is a sway bar or stabilizer RIGHT behind the filter. Had to get creative.
It is much easier than my 97 T-Bird. It screws on sideways so it spills as you unscrew it. Then to remove it from the engine bay, you have to flip it mouth down, so the remaining oil spills over everything.

It is way easier to get to the oil filter in this car. Changing the oil was a snap.
Old 1/27/05, 01:08 PM
V6 Member

My first oil change will be free at the dealer.
After that I'll be using Amsoil 5w20 with an amsoil filter
Old 1/27/05, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Kluski+January 27, 2005, 2:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kluski @ January 27, 2005, 2:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05silverGT@January 27, 2005, 1:38 PM
It is much easier than my 97 T-Bird. It screws on sideways so it spills as you unscrew it. Then to remove it from the engine bay, you have to flip it mouth down, so the remaining oil spills over everything.

It is way easier to get to the oil filter in this car. Changing the oil was a snap.
[/b][/quote]

OK glad I never had to deal with that. lol
Old 1/27/05, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by 05silverGT@January 27, 2005, 1:38 PM
Did my first change at 2400 miles last week.

Mobil1 0-20
Motocraft FL-820 filter

Took a little bit over 6 quarts to bring it perfect... even though capacity is listed at 6.

Running real smooth since.
I don't why you guys insist adding oil until it's at the top of the dipstick. Dipsticks aren't that accurate. As long as your in between the min and max lines and you've put in six quarts, there's no need to keep adding oil. When I change my oil, I put in 6 quarts just as the owners manual states, no more, no less.
Old 1/27/05, 08:41 PM
Cobra Member

You guy's are over-filling your oil!!! When you pour in your new oil it does'nt all go right to the oil pan. Some of it lingers in oil passages and the crankcase ect. Thats why when you read your dip stick right after you change your oil it reads low. You need to fire up your motor after you finish your oil change let it warm up then shut it off. Then let it cool down a while then check it. It will be right on the money!! That will allow the oil to circulate, and return to the pan and give you an accurate reading on your dipstick. Over-filling the oil is worse on a motor than running it low!! It causes seals and gaskets to blow, and if to full the crankshaft slaps in the eccsesive oil in the pan reaking havok!! Also put 1/2 a quart (out of the 6 total) and put in your new oil filter. This will help lubricate the motor on start up!!
Old 1/27/05, 10:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Should I use dino oil or syhntetic with only 1800 miles ?

Some say u should use dino oil until 6000 miles or so then switch to synthetic - what is the reasoning behind this?
Old 1/27/05, 11:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I never heard that before, filling the filter with oil before putting it on. What a great idea.

Vegasjay is correct about over filling. Once you get an oil leak, no one wants you parking in their driveway. :bang:
Old 1/28/05, 05:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by LordBritish@January 27, 2005, 11:42 PM
Should I use dino oil or syhntetic with only 1800 miles ?

Some say u should use dino oil until 6000 miles or so then switch to synthetic - what is the reasoning behind this?
You'll get alot of opinions on this but I've always switched to synthetic after the break in period. I switched to synthetic on my first oil change in my Mazda. IMO, with 1800 miles, you should be safe to switch. If you don't feel comfortable at 1800, wait until 6000.
Old 1/28/05, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I checked my dipstick before i changed the oil and the stick was on full
ford list 6 quarts of oil + the filter
dipsticks are accurate that is why they are there
1/2 quart of oil will not cause oil leaks
a couple of extra quarts in the pan will cause problems by foaming the oil when it comes in contact with the crankshaft
use a filter pliers and not a wrench it makes it real easy
you cannot pre oil the filter because it is on an angle
5-20 oil is so thin that it will be in your pan in a minute
Old 1/28/05, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

I put a 1/2 quart in the filter and did'nt spill a drop. Just don'nt fill the filter all the way up i.e a whole quart...And no a 1/2 a quart over will not cause leak's, I,m trying to stress that it is bad to over fill your oil, and save people from nightmares that I've seen....
Old 1/28/05, 02:53 PM
GT Member

I think the guys on this board need to chill a bit more. A little more effort toward intrapersonal communications... a little less preaching. I really don't mind you saying "hey, I'm not so sure that what you've done is a good idea. Here's why..." But please save the multiple asterisks and damnation for something else. One (!) will work just fine.

I have owned 5 cars so far... have changed the oil in all of them EXACTLY the same and have not had a single oil leak.

How bout this. I will include a disclaimer.

****PLEASE READ**** THE OPINIONS ABOVE ARE NOT HELD BY ALL MEMBERS OF THIS WEBSITE. ALL ACTIONS DESCRIBED ARE NOT RECCOMENDED BY 100% OF THIS ONLINE COMMUNITY. PLEASE PERFORM ALL AUTOMOTIVE MAINTENANCE WORK AT YOUR OWN RISK. OH AND DON'T SPEED. THIS DISCLAIMER IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Old 1/28/05, 09:07 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Vegasjay@January 28, 2005, 11:31 AM
I put a 1/2 quart in the filter and did'nt spill a drop. Just don'nt fill the filter all the way up i.e a whole quart...And no a 1/2 a quart over will not cause leak's, I,m trying to stress that it is bad to over fill your oil, and save people from nightmares that I've seen....
I couldn't believe it when a girl I know from highschool saw me at a bar and asked what happens when you put too much oil. It seems that her sister's boyfriend thought it would be smart to put 8Litres (about 8 quarts) of oil in his Civic.
Old 1/28/05, 09:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05silverGT@January 28, 2005, 3:56 PM
I think the guys on this board need to chill a bit more. A little more effort toward intrapersonal communications... a little less preaching. I really don't mind you saying "hey, I'm not so sure that what you've done is a good idea. Here's why..." But please save the multiple asterisks and damnation for something else. One (!) will work just fine.

I have owned 5 cars so far... have changed the oil in all of them EXACTLY the same and have not had a single oil leak.

How bout this. I will include a disclaimer.

****PLEASE READ**** THE OPINIONS ABOVE ARE NOT HELD BY ALL MEMBERS OF THIS WEBSITE. ALL ACTIONS DESCRIBED ARE NOT RECCOMENDED BY 100% OF THIS ONLINE COMMUNITY. PLEASE PERFORM ALL AUTOMOTIVE MAINTENANCE WORK AT YOUR OWN RISK. OH AND DON'T SPEED. THIS DISCLAIMER IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.

You might want to get a few more posts behind you before you "Moderate"!!!! I'm not "preaching", I'm trying to help members from making costly mistake's!! I try to alway's post to help and in a positive way. You read to much in to punctuation, it's there to help convey a message with a little emotion, nothing more....Leave MODERATING to the "MODERATORS" thier very very good on this site. Late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1/29/05, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

I think it is so the seals which are rubber may dry up and shrink a bit with synthetic before the break in period. Don't know if thats just a urban legend or not but what alot of people have said. My friends a mechanic and he suggest using full synthetic after the break in oil change. I'll just stick with dino myself unless the owners manual or ford tech tells me other wise.

On a side note, how much do you save doing your own oil change? I used to do them myself when I was younger and poorer, but now days when you can just have it done for you for 20 bucks seems like a pretty good deal. Don't have to hassle with getting dirty or disposing of the used oil.
Old 1/29/05, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

[quote=nynvolt,January 29, 2005, 9:49 AM]
On a side note, how much do you save doing your own oil change? I used to do them myself when I was younger and poorer, but now days when you can just have it done for you for 20 bucks seems like a pretty good deal. Don't have to hassle with getting dirty or disposing of the used oil.

For me changing my own oil is not really about saving money, it's an opportunity to get to know the car. When it's up on the ramps I look at the whole lower chassis. I've found loose trans. pan bolts, dry ball joints among other things. I get a good look at the drive belts and can check for seal leaks too. I'm getting older too (41), guess I don't mind a little dirt (although I use latex gloves now ).

Greg
Old 1/29/05, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

it is not the 20 bucks
it is the moron at the quick lube who does not care about your car
they drain the oil for 5 minutes put the drain plug back in when it has not even stoped draining
then they use a cheap penzoil filter
charge you to grease your non greasable front end
i think that i will do it my self

Quick Reply: First oil change - help