The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Engine Smell & Fumes - (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/engine-smell-fumes-395638/)

Roger Ramjet 12/7/04 04:08 AM

Well, after a 6 month wait my '05 GT is home - at last!

On the 10 mile trip home I had to stop at a traffic light. I had the A/C off but the vent on. During the stop a strong smell of HOT came in the cabin. Smelled like burning paint. I didn't get very concerned - new everything, you know. When I got home and parked the car in the garage, the smell was very strong. In fact, there was visible vapor in the air. I popped the hood to see if I could find the source. The fumes did stop but the smell continued. I looked all over the motor, headers, cats, heat shields, etc. but couldn't find any problem.

Anybody else notice this?

Radman 12/7/04 05:53 AM

Same thing happened to me. I believe it's due to everything being new and used for the first time. My car had 2.4 miles on it at pick up. The smell pretty much went away after a couple hundred miles. My father used to be a service manager and said that was fairly normal in his day.

Jason

Radman 12/7/04 05:53 AM

Oh yeah, and Congrats! :nice:

Kluski 12/7/04 06:08 AM

Yeah I had a smell too. I ruled the same, just new. Kinda like turning a heater on for the first time.

Roger Ramjet 12/7/04 06:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I've had more new cars than most of you guys have had birthdays. I've never had one smell and fume like this.

ZERO 12/7/04 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Roger Ramjet@December 7, 2004, 7:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I've had more new cars than most of you guys have had birthdays. I've never had one smell and fume like this.

i had the smell too. i assumed it was the new tires....rubber heating up for the first few times. you could actually get close to the tires and tell it was coming from there. the smell isn't there anymore. i'm at around 1100 miles or so and it has been gone for a long while...hopefully your odd odor will go away too.

Roger Ramjet 12/7/04 07:11 AM

I can't imagine the tires getting that hot. Now the brakes, yes - it kinda smelled like hot brakes but the visible fumes came from the back of the engine compartment.

adrenalin 12/7/04 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Roger Ramjet@December 7, 2004, 7:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

17 cars and counting for me. My 1990 LX 5.0 did it, my 1997 GT did it and now my 2005 GT does it. Kinda like the burn in process. All the chemicals on the motor / exhaust pipe to keep them from oxidizing before the car is assembled get burnt off. That is just my guess but hey, it doesn't bug me one bit. My car now has over 1600 km and no longer does it.

Roger Ramjet 12/7/04 07:56 AM

With this '05 Mustang my total new car count is 31.

CA Stang 12/7/04 07:58 AM

I had what I think is a similar smell. Mine smelled like burning clutch. I've driven a manual shift for 18 years, so the smell wan't due to improper use of my clutch. I attributed it to the car being new. It has since gone away.

blackhat 12/7/04 08:12 AM

I was in the auto business for 9 years with Acura and Mercedes-Benz. I believe the smell you are referring to is from cosmoline. Cosmoline is a substance which is sprayed over the entire car except the interior and a portion of the windshield to protect cars during travel. It's cleaned off prior to the dealer taking shipment at a local distrobution point. What you smell is the burning off of any residual cosmoline that is left and goes away after a short time.

Kluski 12/7/04 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Roger Ramjet@December 7, 2004, 8:59 AM
Well I turn 31 in a month. So currently, that IS more cars than my birthdays. :jester:

adrenalin 12/7/04 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Roger Ramjet@December 7, 2004, 8:59 AM
Stolen cars don't count, just kidding :jester: looking at your avatar and the funky outfit you have on I was only guessing B)

Giddyup 12/7/04 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Roger Ramjet@December 7, 2004, 5:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe it was 'Flatulence' of excitement over the new toy??? :jester: Seriously, I would think it's the 'New Factor' having to burn it's way out.... :nice:

Indystang 12/7/04 10:15 AM

My car makes the garage smell like a tire store all the times. It usually sits in the garage for 3 or 4 days at a time but the tire smell is really strong. Kind of strange I thought. Anyone else noticed this smell?
I was told that sometimes tires arrive at the factory the same day they are made and installed on the cars and even still warm from the molds. The trailers are opened up and it's warm inside from all the new tires having been put in warm.

38special 12/7/04 10:24 AM

My Pirellis are sitting in my living room since I changed them for bfg gforce 255/50/r17s. They smell kind of sweet with tar combo. I'm used to it now.

I may put x-mass lights on them if they remain there much longer.

azoufan 12/7/04 10:51 AM

There is nothing better than the smell of a brand new motor being broken in. :drool:

Definitely not something that lasts forever. No joke, when I test drove both GT's, I opened the hood and had my wife take a deep breath. Sales guy thought I was nuts. Man I love that smell. :drool:

Indystang 12/7/04 10:58 AM

Speaking of tires......Anybody driven in the snow with the Pirellis yet? Just wondered how they work and if I will need some weight in the trunk to help. It's been a few years since my last Stang and I am a little bit out of practice. Also I am anxious to try out the Traction Control too. I never had it before and my last stang was an 89 GT.

05passion 12/7/04 12:27 PM

i have a "funny smell"from my rear tires also ,especially at acceleration at green lights!! :jester:

porsche 12/7/04 02:07 PM

same smell for up to 1000 miles