GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Don't want any smog test problems...

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/07, 12:44 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Don't want any smog test problems...

Hi guys,
I'm a noobie here and I'm finally getting a 2007 Mustang GT this month (actually it's getting built this week).

I've decided to get the FRPP (CAI, GTA, engine recalibration) and the FR Handling Pack too. As far as I know, these mods are 50 states street legal and I suppose that means I'll have no trouble passing a smog test/check right?

Will adding the Ford Racing X pipe put me at risk for not passing a smog test/check?

I'm in California where the smog tests are brutal, and I know I won't need a smog test for a while, but I am still concerned and don't want to add a mod that will jeopardize the ability to pass smog.

~Tifo
Old 1/2/07, 03:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
You shouldn't need a smog test for at least a year if the car is brandy new.Here in Colorado we have a four wait until the first smog test. One thing you should know is the newer 4.6 3-v engines is they run super clean and hardly produce any emmisions.If they install the CAI kit make sure it has every emblem posted about legal use.My MAC CAI had for one I had installed in a 96'GT.As long as they don't remove the cats the X-pipe is legal.

You could find a shop that will let you do a pre-smog test to make sure you meet Calf.standards after you have the CAI installed.
Old 1/2/07, 08:16 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberOgre
You shouldn't need a smog test for at least a year if the car is brandy new.Here in Colorado we have a four wait until the first smog test. One thing you should know is the newer 4.6 3-v engines is they run super clean and hardly produce any emmisions.If they install the CAI kit make sure it has every emblem posted about legal use.My MAC CAI had for one I had installed in a 96'GT.As long as they don't remove the cats the X-pipe is legal.

You could find a shop that will let you do a pre-smog test to make sure you meet Calf.standards after you have the CAI installed.
exactly
Old 1/2/07, 10:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tifo
I've decided to get the FRPP (CAI, GTA, engine recalibration) and the FR Handling Pack too. As far as I know, these mods are 50 states street legal and I suppose that means I'll have no trouble passing a smog test/check right?

Will adding the Ford Racing X pipe put me at risk for not passing a smog test/check?
Your first smog check will be in 2012. So... I'm sure you'll do plenty of mods between the time you take delivery til the smog test. Just keep your OEM parts just incase you have to swap them back in.

As far as the FRPP stuff, even if the ad says they're 50 State legal, you'll have to present a CARB number via a decal, placard, or certificate on any part (on the engine) that's not stock. If you can't, be prepared to start swapping parts.

On the X-Pipe, as long as the cats are in place, it'll be legal, so no worries there.
Old 1/2/07, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Here in Vancouver, they just done away with our emmision testing if you own a 2001 or newer vehicle. This means I can throw out my cats and start thinking about bigger engine mods. Believe me, I know how all you feel about this subject but I must say, for me, it feels like I've been released from jail. I'm FREE !!
Old 1/2/07, 05:13 PM
GT Member

Thanks for your posts guys...I will keep the stock parts just in case, but I guess the stock H pipe will be toast after it's cut for the X-pipe.

That little red asterisk on the Ford racing webpage (not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles) gets me nervous. It's sort of a mixed message when the FRPP says 50-States "Street Legal" (E.O. #D-598) and then right next to the part number it has that red asterisk!

thanks for your help...

~Tifo