The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   CAT'S/ NO CAT'S! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/cats-no-cats-432113/)

SONICBOOST 2/28/06 11:43 AM

Does anybody know if there are any power gain's/losses when going with highflow cat's and going the offroad (no cat route). I have a prochamber right now that is bolted to the stock cat's and would like to get a little more out of it. Thank's Adam

Torrence 2/28/06 02:24 PM

I feel a gain going cat less, I think.

blackhat 2/28/06 02:58 PM

Going catless (o/r pipe) will gain you a few HP. I think most go catless for the sound/volume benefit it has on the exhaust.

I have JBA LT headers with JBA catted h-pipe and mufflers and it is plenty loud for me. I've heard Torrence's and it is definitely louder.

ryan1112 2/28/06 03:04 PM

I don't know about the difference between stock cats and no cats but there I lost 1hp by taking off my Bassani cats, proven by a dyno run. I put them back on.

Rebel73 2/28/06 03:16 PM

I recently threw on a Pypes O/R H-pipe, and IMHO, the car felt like it pulled noticeably harder. That's just my SOTP assessment, though. But also, as stated prior, now it just sounds MEAN!!!

70MACH1OWNER 2/28/06 03:28 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryan1112 @ February 28, 2006, 5:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I don't know about the difference between stock cats and no cats but there I lost 1hp by taking off my Bassani cats, proven by a dyno run. I put them back on.
[/b][/quote]

Wow!! You put them back on because of 1 hp?? I know for a fact that you would be hard pressed to get the same hp reading on 3 pulls done back to back with perfect conditions. Speaking in general that is less than .3 % difference at 300 hp. You should decide to run with them based on sound or your local emissions testing not 1 hp! Just my .02$
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

don_w 2/28/06 04:45 PM

I'm afraid of cats now... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] I don't see them going back on my car.

70MACH1OWNER 2/28/06 05:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 28, 2006, 6:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm afraid of cats now... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] I don't see them going back on my car.
[/b][/quote]

Don,
Do you have emission testing in San Diego? If not lose the cats.
Scott

GIG4FUN 2/28/06 05:21 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 28, 2006, 5:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

<span style="color:#FF0000">Meoooooow !!!!! </span>
I hear ya! and I did wonder about that too!
Wishing you the best Dan [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

don_w 2/28/06 06:05 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ February 28, 2006, 4:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don,
Do you have emission testing in San Diego? If not lose the cats.
Scott
[/b][/quote]
Not until 2011... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

And I hope I don't get the trumpets back if I lose the cats. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

MustangJr.06 2/28/06 06:45 PM

I live in Texas & I think we have emission test. So what exactly happens to you if you have no cats but also have emissions test? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

It's a stupid question I know, but I'm new at this so forgive me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Stangers 2/28/06 07:13 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ February 28, 2006, 6:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Dont blame ya one bit for feeling paranoid Don.Hope only the best for ya from here on [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

ryan1112 2/28/06 07:14 PM

I mainly put them back on because I like the sound better with the cats on. I didn't care that much about 1 HP.

Torrence 2/28/06 08:10 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MustangJr.06 @ February 28, 2006, 8:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I live in Texas & I think we have emission test. So what exactly happens to you if you have no cats but also have emissions test? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

It's a stupid question I know, but I'm new at this so forgive me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

It means that your car is not street legal and more likely for a cop to stick a mirror under your car and then, lets just say you will be paining fines for a very long time.

lci1 2/28/06 08:34 PM

States with emissions programs have very strict laws regarding tampering with emission devices. Be careful, ck
with your local laws before you spend your time & money.
There's also a few states that like to make "examples" out
hot rodders as a warning to others.

lci1 2/28/06 08:35 PM

States with emissions programs have very strict laws regarding tampering with emission devices. Be careful, ck
with your local laws before you spend your time & money.
There's also a few states that like to make "examples" out
hot rodders as a warning to others.

Hatchman 2/28/06 09:13 PM

Lost the cats, put on a Pypes O/R H pipe, gained 6hp and almost 5tq, dyno proven, no tune needed.

Kluski 3/1/06 10:13 AM

[/b][/quote]

I missed that story. Is that what happened to your motor? I heard it blew up, but did not see why.

don_w 3/1/06 10:19 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kluski @ March 1, 2006, 9:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I missed that story. Is that what happened to your motor? I heard it blew up, but did not see why.
[/b][/quote]
It appears that a bad cat played a role for sure.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=652055

Torrence 3/1/06 10:34 AM

Cars sound so much better without cats.....