The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Car wobbles while braking at high speeds.... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/car-wobbles-while-braking-high-speeds-424083/)

GhostGT 10/28/05 07:20 PM

This has officially been the second time I have taken my car into higher speeds on a straight unoccupied freeway stretch. The thing is, after I stopped accelerating and started to apply the brakes (very slowly, mind you...) it felt as if something was wrong! The steering wheel got very wobbly, it felt like something was rubbing or...ah I don't know how to explain it, but It was as if i had slammed the brakes (the effect.) The interior was also getting filled up with a loud sound coming from the brakes (i think.)

Any ideas? It didn't happen EVER again, and it only lasts from XXXmph - 0mph, then goes away. :scratch:

Route 66 10/28/05 07:53 PM

How many miles on car? Could be the rotors. The ones they put on new cars are worthless.

elvism 10/28/05 08:13 PM

had this happen to me !! in my opinion the stock brake suck. i decided to upgrade my brake pads to HAWK HP PLUS and the car stops no problem. only thing is they give off more brake dust and make some noise when stopping. these are autocross/street pads. i only hate cleaning the rims all the time

nyyankee 10/28/05 08:48 PM

Sounds like warped rotors!

dustindu4 10/28/05 08:59 PM

the stock brakes suck. I just downshift until I get to a reasonable braking speed.

GhostGT 10/28/05 09:02 PM

Whoa now I'm actually scared....warped rotors? Woot!

See, this really ONLY happens at high speeds, something I RARELY if ever do. And Im not gonna go talk to my dad and say, "HEY DAD! I went THIS fast today and my brakes got wobbly!"

This will be him: :ranting:

This will be me: :panic:

And obviously my dog going: :bunny:

dustindu4 10/28/05 09:23 PM

Chris we're trying to tell you that you're not alone, we all suffer from the same issue.

Cleveland 10/28/05 09:48 PM

since when does my car do that?

no wobbles for me...

-Dan

lt1977 10/31/05 09:31 PM

Mine do it also. very scary the first time when I happened to be going the speed limit times 2 and braked at about a 5 on a 10 scale

SixtySix 10/31/05 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Cleveland@October 28, 2005, 8:51 PM
since when does my car do that?

no wobbles for me...

-Dan

I'm with ya, me neither, somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 MPH and I stop with no wibble wobbles.

Does sound like warped rotors though.

max2000jp 10/31/05 10:18 PM

What I think you experienced was brake fade from what you posted. I have experienced brake fade at higher speed. The OEM pads are horrible at disapating heat. I get a slight wobble in the steering wheel when they are heated up. The brakes on this car are horrible above 60 mph.

Mongoose 10/31/05 11:03 PM

Car does the same thing when the ABS is screwing up. Thought the rotors were warped on the TC turned out to be ABS unit.

SixtySix 10/31/05 11:33 PM

Originally posted by GhostGT@October 28, 2005, 6:23 PM
This has officially been the second time I have taken my car into higher speeds on a straight unoccupied freeway stretch. The thing is, after I stopped accelerating and started to apply the brakes (very slowly, mind you...)
Actually by applying the brakes very slowly you're creating more heat. Don't do that. Let the engine do some braking for you. If you're at high speed in Fifth/OD, shut off OD and you'll start slowing down pretty well. When applying the brake, do so firmly, not lightly.

If all you want to do is slow down, let the engine do the work for you.

gt6974a 11/1/05 09:09 AM

rotors.... you got a high spot somewhere.

Buy some new ones, throw them on, take the old ones to a machine shop and have them smooth them out. Now you have 2 pairs.

jwgroovin 11/1/05 09:32 AM

Originally posted by SixtySix@November 1, 2005, 12:48 AM
I'm with ya, me neither, somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 MPH and I stop with no wibble wobbles.

Does sound like warped rotors though.

150? Whew! I had it up to an even 120 yesterday but ran out of unoccupied road.

Oh, no brake problems here as described, although I'd like to put on better pads. Stocks suck...

John

elvism 11/1/05 12:39 PM

ask MAVERICKMFL371 about my hp brake pads. he saw how good they stop!!!!

Mxyzptlk 11/1/05 03:46 PM

Only noticed once when having to break quickly from 135 down to 45. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

max2000jp 11/1/05 07:28 PM

Originally posted by elvism@November 1, 2005, 2:42 PM
ask MAVERICKMFL371 about my hp brake pads. he saw how good they stop!!!!

How do you like the HP+'s? I was thinking about buying them along with StopTech SS brake lines. The only thing that is stopping me from buying them are I have heard that they are noisey. Any problems with brake noise using those pads. I would like to have a semi-quiet street pad.

elvism 11/1/05 08:31 PM

Originally posted by max2000jp@November 1, 2005, 8:31 PM
How do you like the HP+'s? I was thinking about buying them along with StopTech SS brake lines. The only thing that is stopping me from buying them are I have heard that they are noisey. Any problems with brake noise using those pads. I would like to have a semi-quiet street pad.

they are noisy i must say most of the time when slowly stopping but underhard pressure there is none.also lots of brake dust. i would go with the ones below the hp plus pads.

GhostGT 11/1/05 08:41 PM

It wasnt the wobbling that really bothered me as much...it was the intense sound that was coming....like voovooovoovoovoovooovoovoo over and over again (wow that was wierd, lol :)). Sounded like a bump on the brakes was going around and around, just really wierd.

If you guys are saying something is wrong with my rotors, why won't this happen at regular speeds, then? And next time, i'll let the engine do the braking :nice:.