The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Butterfly Scoop on an 05+ Mustang? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/butterfly-scoop-05-mustang-422506/)

Cleveland 10/8/05 01:57 AM

I have been seriously considering some fabrication of this below butterfly scoop (streetcatcher) for use on my 'Stang. It would mount with the underside flush with the hood line and sit much like the CDC Shaker. The butterflies would be activated much like the stock throttle body blades and would open and close based on throttle position. It would be powdercoated in a semi flat-flat black.

http://www.alsblowers.com/images/big_sc510_3.jpg

I would be able to fabricate the underhood mount, intake box and air ducting to my cone filter rather easily. It just wouldnt have an engine cover like the CDC scoop.

Is this something that you guys would like to see and think was cool rather than over-done in a very bad way?

Im sure somebody would be able to photochop a few views of this type of scoop onto the hood of an '05+. It would look rather aggressive and sweet IMO.

Just wondering cause my mind is always chugging along with ideas.

-Dan

traffic142 10/8/05 04:15 AM

LIke another here, I am back after 20 years and all this anti smog, computers, MAF, CAI, A/F, etc..... your idea would look different. I like hood scoops, but the last 10 or so years it has been done to death. I went anti scoop, atleast for the hood. Maybe a 1/4 window scoop ...anyway

Kick it around some, not really sure how to make this functional? I think a CAI that can draw in cooler air all the time would be great. I got a JLT and cannot wait to get it installed.

Keep up the thoughts

SRQ05GT 10/8/05 04:46 AM

Kinda "fakey". the guys in the 60s and 70s did it becouse is sat on a blower, not just for looks. Granted if your are going with a 1/4 mile type set up then considter the whole thing. Also you will have to worry abot water if you go with the setup the way you discribed.

Cleveland 10/8/05 10:39 AM

I'd have to worry about water the same as anybody else with a functional scoop (CDC Shaker). The intake ducting would drop off down behind the engine and a open cut would allow any water to drain.

If you have seen the functional Shaker done this will be the same type of project except that the scoop is larger, more aggressive and has working throttle blades (Butterflies).

-Dan

Vegasjay 10/8/05 11:06 AM

If your looking for opinion's, I think it could look very cool. A good clean install with tight tolerences and well made hardware would look great. Paint the butterfly's the same color as your pony to bring it all together... :nice: I think a chrome housing might be a bit much, but if you powdercoated it flat black with redfire butterfly's you would really have something. IMO

davids2toys 10/8/05 11:33 AM

Yeah, I like it to!!!

05GT-O.C.D. 10/8/05 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Vegasjay@October 8, 2005, 12:09 PM
If your looking for opinion's, I think it could look very cool. A good clean install with tight tolerences and well made hardware would look great. Paint the butterfly's the same color as your pony to bring it all together... :nice: I think a chrome housing might be a bit much, but if you powdercoated it flat black with redfire butterfly's you would really have something. IMO

:werd:

I'd love to see it.

SRQ05GT 10/8/05 01:31 PM

Go for it. I like the suggestions listed above, coloring the buttterflies etc... I think the hole that would be required for the "scoop" to pass through might be problematic... May a small hole with a quick relase and you just removed the "scoop" prior to opening the hood??? Sounds like a big undertaking and I wonder if it might be cheaper to buy the CDC Shaker and modify it to take the Streetcatcher scoop???

Cleveland 10/8/05 04:02 PM

Now the question is, would anybody else be interested in this scoop setup if it was professionally done yet a bit more expensive than the CDC Shaker?

-Dan

HastaLaVista 10/8/05 05:44 PM

There was some discussion about this exact idea in this thread. Check it out, might give you a few more ideas.