The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Broke bolt off in block (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/broke-bolt-off-block-411362/)

pumpkinfish 6/11/05 07:11 PM

Ok I did a boneheaded move today. I took out my C&L CAI trying to troubleshoot some error codes and had it bolted to the block as per the directions. Well needless to say upon installation of the original bolt I tightened it too much and broke off the bolt :bang: It is the front most bolt and I'm worried it might cause a leak. What do I need to get this bolt out? I am assuming these bolts are hardened and I know my current drill bits make a dent. So I want to make sure I purchase the proper tools. Please help someone :crying:

MaverickMLFD371 6/11/05 07:26 PM

did the same thing with my K&N intake, they'll be able to get it out with a "easy out", very simple process! Don't Worry!

pumpkinfish 6/11/05 07:30 PM

How much did it cost?

169stang 6/11/05 08:18 PM

Sorry to hear this! There is nothing I hate more than a boo boo like these. I did something similiar to the block of my old Jeep when I was doing some head work. Easy outs will work well. There are two different kinds, spiral and multi spline. If you know what size bolt and what size easy out to get, you can pick up individual ones for $3-$5. You just don't want to force anything. NO hurries! Best of luck.

jungleman 6/11/05 10:13 PM

I feel for you. Being a Machine repairman I can tell you that that situation is not good. If you had cast iron heads it would be easier. When you try to drill out a hardened bold the drill tries to run off to the side of the bolt. The soft aluminum is very easy to damage.
I WOULD TRY TO TAKE A PRICK PUNCH AND TRY TO BACK THE BOLT OUT FIRST.
You might have to take off the rocker arm cover to do this.. :worship:

tx2005gt 6/11/05 10:44 PM

i would center punch the bolt & try a left handed drill bit first.

MaverickMLFD371 6/11/05 10:47 PM

i had my deputy chief do mine, he took a drill bit and drove it in the middle of the bolt, not very far in, but a good indent into the bolt, and then took a spiral "easy out", attached that to the drill, 1/4 turn later, the bolt is out.

169stang 6/11/05 10:59 PM

links:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?t...re=snapon-store
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?t...re=snapon-store

Even snap on sets are fairly inexpensive.

WERKED 66 6/11/05 11:04 PM

Originally posted by tx2005gt@June 12, 2005, 12:47 AM
i would center punch the bolt & try a left handed drill bit first.

i did not know they made left handed drill bits.. j/k i know what you mean........
easy-out should have no problem getting it out.....

screamingyellow 6/11/05 11:14 PM

Originally posted by pumpkinfish@June 11, 2005, 7:14 PM
Ok I did a boneheaded move today. I took out my C&L CAI trying to troubleshoot some error codes and had it bolted to the block as per the directions. Well needless to say upon installation of the original bolt I tightened it too much and broke off the bolt :bang: It is the front most bolt and I'm worried it might cause a leak. What do I need to get this bolt out? I am assuming these bolts are hardened and I know my current drill bits make a dent. So I want to make sure I purchase the proper tools. Please help someone :crying:

Definitely do as the other members have suggested, left handed drill bits and an easy out. Just take your time and try to get the bit centered as best as possible, my dad and I used a kit that had left handed drill bits with guides to make the bit centered and then used easy outs to remove 10 broken bolts from a gradall. We broke a couple easy outs in the process, but got them out. Good luck

Blazing Saddles 6/11/05 11:15 PM

Left handed drill bits are used mostly below the equator so the drills won't throw the Earth off its axis. :D

Import-Slaya 6/12/05 07:48 AM

Check out mcmaster.com for a huge selection of bits and easy-outs. As someone above stated, be careful about the bit sliding. On my old Jeep, using an easy-out on broken bolts became fairly routine. Even with a good center punch, I would still have problems with the bit sliding off. Of course, on a Jeep, those scratches just added character. :D

Might be worth letting a pro do it. :dunno:

pumpkinfish 6/12/05 03:23 PM

I got the bolt out :banana: :banana: :banana: I went to Sears hardware when I woke up and purchased a complete bolt/screw extractor set. Took about 5 minutes if that to get it out. I learned my lesson about strong-arming every bolt I turn!!!

Sorry forgot to add: thanks for all the tips and suggestions :nice:

loudog 6/12/05 03:49 PM

What fairy-tale ending! Now that, my friends, is what this forum is about!! Collaborating with each other to help each other out!

MaverickMLFD371 6/12/05 09:59 PM

glad to hear you got it out, yea mine was the very front one as well and I did not notice a leak or anything, but glad u got ur bolt out. The thing about the engine block or the valve cover bolt slots is that the hole gets smaller as the bolt goes down and thats where I think the snapping of the bolt came into play for the both of us. But the bolt hole getting smaller does seem to benefit getting a bolt out fairly easy if someone does screw up and break a bolt inside it.