GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Blower upgrade opinions/ideas - just need 400+ hp

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/17, 11:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Blower upgrade opinions/ideas - just need 400+ hp

I'm looking at ways to get my 07 GT to over 400 hp. I understand Whipples come highly recommended for serious power, but the problem I see is the stock engine can only really handle 500-520 hp and the stock clutch needs to be upgrade as well. I don't really need/want 500+ hp. But about 400-450 hp would be nice as I only drive the car on the street during the summer.

Are there any easy blower kits that would produce this amount of power? I could have the clutch changed out eventually, but I'd rather not touch the stock fuel pump or do anything seriously radical. Doing some math, the stock fuel pump rated at 4 lb/min could handle 400-470 hp.

I currently have the Saleen 98mm MAF air intake and would prefer to try and re-use this as I had it fine tuned using my wideband and narrowband (turned out my technique with narrowband tuning was spot on). I see the E-force can re-use the stock lid, but the 98mm Saleen would probably need a different coupler setup to make it work.

Any ideas? How about the Edelbrock E-force (entry level version)?
Old 10/8/17, 01:10 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
http://departmentofboost.com/product...t450_index.htm
Old 10/8/17, 01:17 PM
GTR Member

It looks like they start at 450 rwhp, which is way more than I'm looking.
Old 10/8/17, 04:37 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
I'm looking at ways to get my 07 GT to over 400 hp. I understand Whipples come highly recommended for serious power, but the problem I see is the stock engine can only really handle 500-520 hp and the stock clutch needs to be upgrade as well. I don't really need/want 500+ hp. But about 400-450 hp would be nice as I only drive the car on the street during the summer.

Are there any easy blower kits that would produce this amount of power? I could have the clutch changed out eventually, but I'd rather not touch the stock fuel pump or do anything seriously radical. Doing some math, the stock fuel pump rated at 4 lb/min could handle 400-470 hp.

I currently have the Saleen 98mm MAF air intake and would prefer to try and re-use this as I had it fine tuned using my wideband and narrowband (turned out my technique with narrowband tuning was spot on). I see the E-force can re-use the stock lid, but the 98mm Saleen would probably need a different coupler setup to make it work.

Charlie, if you intend on keeping your Saleen 98mm MAF lid w/stock airbox, you'll need to look into locating a Saleen VI blower.. Check with saleencars84 on ebay, as they have left over stock from Saleen or you can also check with 281 motorsports as well.. Otherwise your only other option would be to contact Edelbrock and find out if they can recommend a coupler that can fit with a Saleen plastic intake tube for the E-force.. You can also look into purchasing the Saleen 98mm OEM rubber inlet tube from saleencars84 on ebay that will definitely work as well..

Originally Posted by fourdegrees11
The Saleen 98mm intake will not fit on a D.O.B setup, as the intake tube and airbox are designed for the stock throttle body location and OEM airbox..

The OP has stated in his post that he prefers to keep and re-use his Saleen intake setup..
Old 10/17/17, 01:39 PM
GTR Member

Those blowers are long gone. The Edelbrock E-Force is the only one that looks like I might be able to keep the Saleen airbox with a different coupler.

What's your opinion of Prochargers? Their P-1SC seems to be the cleanest blower install of them all, and even uses a MAF extension harness rather than re-pinning/splicing wires. They even relocate the MAF sensor to the top of the after cooler so it takes the charge temperature as IAT.

The basic 10 psi kit should get to 500-520 hp, but the power gains are almost all above 4000 RPM. It *seems* like it'd be a lot easier on the clutch, drivetrain, and tires?
Old 10/17/17, 06:31 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
You could always look into getting the FPP 62mm twin oval throttle body or BBK's twin oval 62mm TB.. I've actually seen an 11 GT that has the Boss 302 intake with FPP racing CAI that has the FPP 62mm twin oval throttle body..

Perhaps this could also work on the E-force as well.. Anyway just a thought
Old 10/17/17, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I'd suggest that you don't consider yourself "married" to parts that you have just because you have them; instead you should be looking at the best and least cost route to get where you want to go. If that involves throwing some parts away then so be it.

The D.O.B. setup can be detuned down to less than 450 HP if you want, but there isn't any real reason to do that, that I know of, because the stock internals should be fine at that level. The D.O.B. set-up is pretty well optimized for the stock 4.6 internals.

The fuel pump probably "should" be upgraded for any blower set-up anyway. If you check out D.O.B. web site they have some recommendations for a relatively easy and low cost fuel pump upgrade.

I have looked into this quite a bit, and if I went forward I would go with either the D.O.B. "kit" or the Roush TVS 2300. The DOB would give better bang for the buck, with more do-it-yourself effort required; the Roush is a complete "blower in a box" but costs a bit more cash.

Here are some tech articles from DOB that are worth the read, whether you are interested in their set-up or not:
http://departmentofboost.com/tech/index.htm

Last edited by Bert; 10/17/17 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10/17/17, 07:04 PM
GTR Member

The DOB route doesn't save that much money unless I personally scrounge for used parts. Even then it seems like a hodge podge of parts. The Roush is annoying because I have to send in my ECU. I'd rather just do the tuning myself. I don't like to waste parts especially if they work fine. What's wrong with centrifugala?

I've driven Roots and TVS blown cars and while it is fun to roast tires left and right with torque on tap, we don't have AWD cars and need race prepped DRs for the track to get decent 60' times.
Old 10/20/17, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Department of BOOST!
Old 10/20/17, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

500 hp is only going to get you to 425 rwhp so read the descriptions carefully. The 550 hp whipple kit with cams and exhaust and whatever els I had netted just under 500 rwhp. I tuned it down to about 485. The full whipple kit on a stock motor should net you around 460-470 rwhp. Put a bigger pulley on there and back off the timing a bit and you can run it at 400 rwhp. yes you will probably need a new clutch but the motor can handle any of those kits. I estimate my motor output at almost 600 hp and run my car like it is stolen. Never had an issue with the motor. And yes, I daily this car.

Your CAI will probably have to go. Most kits will come with their own intake. Your going to have to retune it if you use that intake anyways. You can have anyone remote tune it or you can get a local dyno tune as well. Most kits will use the stock TB except for the E-force, that comes with a TB and I know early on they had issues with them. Personally I would steer away from the Edelbrock kit. And Like I said you can detune any of the kits if you think it's too much power but I'm sure you will retune it back up later. That seems like the way it always goes. But don't be afraid of running anything under 500 rwhp with a good tune and fuel.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 10/20/17 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10/20/17, 03:05 PM
GTR Member

I looked hard at all of the blower kits, but I'm leaning towards the Procharger HO (525 hp / 460-470 rwhp) due to its easier install. The most complex part of the Procharger (to me) is wiring in that new fuel pump and maybe installing the heat exchanger.

I've read a lot of debates about air-to-air vs air-to-water heat exchangers, how the Twin-Screw is more efficient (even DoB said that centri's raised the temp like by 13.5* per psi while twin screw was something like 12*: http://www.departmentofboost.com/tec..._temp_tech.htm)

I've seen the dyno charts and the Whipple/Roots/TVS does have more low end torque. But the install for the positive displacement blowers is more complex and involves a lot of hacking away at hoses/tubes and relocating a lot of stuff. The DoB price is the lowest initially but after adding a dyno tune, it's maybe $700-$900 less than a Procharger/Vortech/Paxton/E-Force/Roush kit.

I do want to keep the Boss 302 strut tower brace somehow, and understand that airbox is definitely going away on the ProCharger.

I'm still open to thoughts. So far I haven't heard any horror stories about the HO Procharger, only that positive displacement gives you tire roasting torque.

I'd rather just run fast at the track and be able to play around a bit on the street. My SHO with tune only runs 12.4 in the 1/4 (and probably can do 12.1) with zero tire drama and launches like a bullet on the street putting Scat Packs to shame (while they roast their tires). So I'm not a big fan of burning rubber like that.
Old 10/21/17, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
My whipple kit along with most of the others whether it be a PD or centri will have everything you need. From nuts, bolts, wiring harnesses, hoses and clamps. Took me a day and a half to install mine by myself and is pretty easy. Step by step instructions pretty much makes it fool proof. I even changed up some from the instructions to what I thought was a better. But There is nothing complex about adding a PD blower. It's all just nuts and bolts. The hardest things I found during the install was swapping the fuel pump, only because ford could not line the access hole up with the actual pump location, and removing the heater hoses from the firewall because it was in an awkward spot. It may seem daunting but it's just nuts and bolts. Everything including fuel pump modules were plug and play. Wiring harness extensions included for anything you might have to move. The only thing I bought to do the install was some RTV.

Centris may seem easier but I have heard the plumbing can get kind of fubar when trying to make everything line up with intercoolers and such but I have never put one in myself. Nothing wrong with a centri, they're just different. I think a PD blower is better for the street because of the wider flatter torque curve. It will give you that power down low in the rpm's which I think is way better for the kind of driving you do on the street. But I'm an old fart and don't think along the same lines as car builders today.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 10/21/17 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10/21/17, 01:10 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I went with a ProCharger because I wasn't looking for more low end torque. The install was straight-forward. As pointed out, the intercooler piping was the hardest part, but not that hard.
Old 10/21/17, 01:16 PM
GTR Member

Was the included tune pretty much good to go with the Procharger kit? Did you have to splice in a piggyback fuel pump? Any luck fitting a strut tower brace with that Procharger air inlet?
Old 10/21/17, 08:50 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The canned tune worked great. I had it dyno’d to make sure it was safe. It is a tight fit, but the factory strut tower brace fits fine. Nothing was done to the fuel pump.
Old 10/21/17, 09:28 PM
GTR Member

Was it because the Coyote pumps had enough capacity? I guess I may need to lower my 3V engine. I have the Boss 302 STB and I think it won't fit over the inlet.
Old 10/22/17, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed the E-Force on my 05 Gt auto last June. The kit came from Brenspeed with everything needed. It is awesome. Excellent drivability and tons of power and torque on demand. 520FW HP and 450 at the wheels. The tune is what makes the difference. Don't get greedy and stay with what the stock drivetrain can handle and you should have no problems.
Old 10/22/17, 08:29 AM
GTR Member

Holy crap, what kit did you buy? Stock they only produce 466-470 hp at the crank. Did you get a different pulley or something?

How was the installation process? I read the manual and didn't like how much modifying I had to do to the stock hoses/coolant pipe/wiring, but was curious how difficult it really was. How long did it take for you to finish? Did you have to get a new fuel pump?
Old 10/22/17, 08:45 AM

http://www.brenspeed.com/efstage0.html
Installed this kit. It took me almost two days, but I have serious spinal problems and the "old" me, five years ago, could have done it in 10-12 hours. I am a retired carpenter and not a mechanic. The only help I needed was placing the blower unit on top because it weighs around 70#. The kit comes with a Keene Bell boost a pump which handles the higher fuel flow. Almost no modifying needed as everything is included. The only thing I added was a boost gauge in the dash. Love it!!!
Old 10/22/17, 08:52 AM

Photo
Attached Thumbnails Blower upgrade opinions/ideas - just need 400+ hp-img_2394.jpg