GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bama tune and failed State Inspection ?

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/08, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bama tune and failed State Inspection ?

I've had my 93 Race tune for 6 months now and everything has been great. I took the Stang in for a state inspection today and it failed. No error codes are coming up but they said it had 'unset readiness codes'. In the printout they gave me, there were 3 readiness monitors listed with a status of 'not completed' - O2 sensor, O2 sensor heater, and catalyst.

Im guessing the O2 sensor was turned off in the tune? If thats the case, can I turn it on via the Xcal or would I have to get new tunes?

edit - Im in NC
Old 2/11/08, 03:49 PM
Cobra R Member

what state are you from?
Old 2/11/08, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbslade
I've had my 93 Race tune for 6 months now and everything has been great. I took the Stang in for a state inspection today and it failed. No error codes are coming up but they said it had 'unset readiness codes'. In the printout they gave me, there were 3 readiness monitors listed with a status of 'not completed' - O2 sensor, O2 sensor heater, and catalyst.

Im guessing the O2 sensor was turned off in the tune? If thats the case, can I turn it on via the Xcal or would I have to get new tunes?
Two things I know of. Yep the O2 sensor is a classic. But there is also a "master" on/off switch for the readiness monitors that sometimes gets inadvertantly turned to "off" when a tune is made from a base tune. I believe that setting is P1000 or something close to that. I had the second problem and it took my performance shop a 30 minutes of looking at the massive list of parameters before they found the problem, and had no explanation on how it was turned off to begin with. That parameter was only available to them to fix, and I believe, unfortunately, that the O2 sensor issue requires help from your shop as well.

The good news is that once the tune is fixed (I had them save me a emissions tune), you drive around for about 50 miles and you are all set.

John
Old 2/11/08, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

First of all, what state are you in?
Old 2/11/08, 03:53 PM

Doh - Im in NC
Old 2/11/08, 04:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Call Bama and see what they can do for you.

I had the same concern, so I had Brenspeed make me an 89 emissions tune. That way I can upload it a week or so before state inspection so I'd pass. This way passing is a lock, and I won't have to change octane either.
Old 2/11/08, 04:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd just put the car back to stock w/ the stock airbox etc for the emissions check
Old 2/11/08, 04:13 PM
V6 Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure Doug turns off the rear O2's on just about every tune. Its easier than redoing tunes for people a couple months later when they get an off road pipe. Also, I talked to Doug about the upstream O2's, I have long tubes and my tune has a delay from open loop to closed because the O2's are farther away from the engine and don't heat up as fast. If he didn't I would get check engine lights coming on. So if your tune has that, that would be different from stock too.
Also, don't you have your stock tune saved?
Old 2/11/08, 04:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
I'd just put the car back to stock w/ the stock airbox etc for the emissions check
thats what I was thinking
Old 2/11/08, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 06GT
Thats the plan just to get it inspected.

I was hoping I could just turn the O2 back on via the Xcal and be done but looks like thats not an option.
Old 2/11/08, 05:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cbslade

edit - Im in NC
Ok, how many miles have you gone since you last:

Uploaded a tune
or
Disconnected your battery.

If you did either of them, you have to build up data in your computer ( I am from NC). Both times mine failed for the same reason, not enought miles for the computer to have enough data to share with DMV.

The purpose is to keep you from resetting your computer right before the test. Ford says 1 hour at highway and 1 hour in town, not shutting off the car. To be safe, I would drive it for about a tank of gas, splitting highway and city. Cruise this weekend. Check out my signature, I have done much to bama's tune and my computer. I also seem to do the mods right before my inspection is due, so I gotta drive and drive to pass.
Old 2/11/08, 05:21 PM

The tune has been in for 6 months, last time I disconnected the battery was approx 2 tanks ago so ~500 miles. I havent run it for an hour without shutting off though.

Originally Posted by traffic142
Ok, how many miles have you gone since you last:

Uploaded a tune
or
Disconnected your battery.

If you did either of them, you have to build up data in your computer ( I am from NC). Both times mine failed for the same reason, not enought miles for the computer to have enough data to share with DMV.

The purpose is to keep you from resetting your computer right before the test. Ford says 1 hour at highway and 1 hour in town, not shutting off the car. To be safe, I would drive it for about a tank of gas, splitting highway and city. Cruise this weekend. Check out my signature, I have done much to bama's tune and my computer. I also seem to do the mods right before my inspection is due, so I gotta drive and drive to pass.
Old 2/11/08, 05:39 PM
Cobra R Member

if you do switch back to the stock tune, you will need to run it some miles so it will pass.
Old 2/11/08, 07:41 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
From my understanding. Once you return to the stock programming.

Reset the ECM, by disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery, after 20 min. Then drive for about 50-60 miles.

This erases any incomplete reset codes, such as the P1000.
Old 2/11/08, 08:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you telling me the dmv plugs into your car and checks the data!!!!

holy crap... thats stiff

its like taking your car in for a friggin physical, and if you fail you cant drive it

that blows
Old 2/12/08, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by n8rfastback

holy crap... thats stiff

its like taking your car in for a friggin physical, and if you fail you cant drive it

that blows
In Texas, there are certain counties that require an OBD-II check before you can get your sticker. These are the counties surrounding the DFW, Houston, and Austin (Travis & Williamson only).

HPP made my tune with all of the sensors on. I passed with flying colors with a custom dyno tune and a Saleen SC.

Your tuner should be able to fix these in a 93 octane tune and make it unnecessary to load in any other tune and drive 50 miles.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 2/12/08, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor

In PA, we leave the 02 heater switches on and can still leave the rear 02 off and have had no problems. Car must be driven, as mentioned above, for 50 miles to fill the memory.

CR
Tillman Speed, Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776
Old 2/12/08, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I have 455 rwhp Saleen S/Cd, with VMP tune and it passes the emissions... you don't need "emissions-tune". You need good tuner.
Emission are measured on idle and high-idle (steady 2000+ rpm)
Old 2/12/08, 02:26 PM
FR500 Member

You're forgetting the most important part... It all depends on how your state does emissions testing. They are ALL different. What might work for you in Colorado won't work in Arizona, and what works for me won't work for somebody in Pennsylvania.

There is no blanket statement that's going to apply to everyone. Period.
Old 2/12/08, 02:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by n8rfastback

holy crap... thats stiff

that blows
Sounds like invasion of Privacy or taking/stealing information against Your will ? Now watch you get a letter from the DMV You are no longer allowed to drive in review of your ECM we have accertained that You are no longer a safe driver. ( Rights ) what rights ?

Quick Reply: Bama tune and failed State Inspection ?