GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

2006 GT with Ford Racing Intake - Fuel Injector Questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/24, 11:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 GT with Ford Racing Intake - Fuel Injector Questions

I recently bought a 2006 GT that had a lot of upgrades done but since the builder died, I'm not sure the specifics. It has a Ford Racing Intake and apparently it also has a mild cam (no rumpity rump). It needs a tune and to do so, I have to make sure of some parts and info. It currently has 4.10 gears in it so appx 92mph at 3200rpms it seems to cut out. Not sure if the current tune has a speed limiter or it's running short on gas.... the tune guy also said before he touches it, he'd like me to take out the current spark plugs in order and number them and replace them with NGK TR6 gapped at 35 thousands.

So... it looks like stock injectors are 24lbs but I don't know what the previous guy put in there. They look stock. What should I switch them to just to be safe? 30lb? 32lb?

The current injectors are black with red bottoms. Anyone recognize them? Googling looks like they are called A-Premium but the price of $58 screams cheap...

Old 9/3/24, 11:07 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,334 Posts
The Bigger Question is What Kind of Plugs are in the Car and Have They Ever Been Removed. Numerous Threads on the Broken Spark Plug Issues. No Help on the Injector Question From Me. Numbers on Injectors would be More Definitive Than Just Color Code.

The Plugs Pulled in Order Should Also Be Revealing as To Running Condition. A Good Plug Read is Always Helpful as to What Color & Deposits are on Plugs!

May Have To Pull a Valve Cover To Get Cam Part Number Which is Hopefully Engraved on it! Cam Specs Would Be Very Helpful I Would Think For Tuner.

I'm Wondering If Your Programmer Had Canned Tunes or Were Custom. If They Were Custom Than Programmer Company May Have Car Specs on File! The Serial Number on Programmer May Be The Tie You Need For Car Specs.

A Little Detective Work May Save Hours of Digging. Lets Say You Find Out Tuner Was Bought From American Muscle Etc. Chances Are He May Have Bought Other Parts There & They Can Share What S-197 Parts Were Purchased. Okay Lets say it's Tied To a Shop in Your Area. If So They May Know Car & What is in It as Well!

Just a Thought!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-sp547-551113/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ite-up-522706/

KC
Old 9/3/24, 12:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Car should not need bigger injectors just because of that manifold; it would need to be something major like a supercharger to need more fuel ... if I was going to replace the cheepie "A-Premium" injectors, I would go with OEM

different injectors would probably need a tune adjustment

I don't recognize that intake, but it probably needs a tune adjustment also

92 MPH would be very low for a speed limiter, and 3200 RPM is very low for an RPM limiter, so I doubt that is the issue

change the fuel filter, to make sure it is not clogged -- it is located under the car in the fuel line, below passenger door I think

are you working with the tuner who tuned the car originally? it will be important to know ALL of the modifications for the tune ... or I guess you could use a dyno and trial and error; but I would expect a lot of trials and errors because of all the guesswork you will be doing ... a good datalog might be a good place to start

if you need a good tuner to work with I would recommend "Lito" -- support@tudyno.com

I have no idea why the tuner is having you replace the plugs, unless there are other major modifications on this car

Last edited by Bert; 9/3/24 at 12:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
05stangkc (9/3/24), m05fastbackGT (9/3/24)
Old 9/3/24, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
Car should not need bigger injectors just because of that manifold; it would need to be something major like a supercharger to need more fuel ... if I was going to replace the cheepie "A-Premium" injectors, I would go with OEM

different injectors would probably need a tune adjustment

I don't recognize that intake, but it probably needs a tune adjustment also

92 MPH would be very low for a speed limiter, and 3200 RPM is very low for an RPM limiter, so I doubt that is the issue

change the fuel filter, to make sure it is not clogged -- it is located under the car in the fuel line, below passenger door I think

are you working with the tuner who tuned the car originally? it will be important to know ALL of the modifications for the tune ... or I guess you could use a dyno and trial and error; but I would expect a lot of trials and errors because of all the guesswork you will be doing ... a good datalog might be a good place to start

I have no idea why the tuner is having you replace the plugs, unless there are other major modifications on this car
Original builder died. As the previous responder said, I may have to do some digging. I'll call Bama Performance first to see if they have any specs on file at all.

The tuner I talked to in my area just recommended changing the plugs out immediately so I know what's in there and they don't have to run into issues while doing the tune. I am actually okay with that just for peace of mind.

The injector question was just based on a visual of the fuel injector itself. Maybe someone here recognized that specific color of injector and that would give me a starting point as to what was in there. The car topping out at 92 mph and approximately 3,300 RPMs before it starts spitting and sputtering, made me think that it possibly was running short on gas or possibly the tune (Bama Performance) that is in there is not sending the correct info or something. Lots of variables.

Buying something like this without the specs and info was one of my Hang-Ups initially and now I've come to realization that I should have watched the red flags
Old 9/3/24, 12:48 PM
The Analog Admin!

Hot Rodding is Always a Bit Of Trial & Error at Best. In The End Though You Will Know Exactly What You Have. You Have The Right Attitude vs Some Who Think Everything is Plug & Play. Certainly Not as You Have Mix & Match Things To get To Play Nice Together. You Will get There! Any Surprises in the Exhaust Area??? Cats or No Cats Etc?? Rear O2 sensors Turned Off Etc?? Any Dtc Codes Popping Up!

KC
Old 9/3/24, 12:58 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,786 Posts
Agreed! That Ford racing intake manifold doesn't require upgrading to larger injectors... Unless your adding a supercharger or turbocharger which both require more fuel, upgrading to larger fuel injectors is not necessary... I would however assume the Ford racing manifold may require an aftermarket tune for adjusting the air/fuel ratio... As for the recommendation towards upgrading the spark plugs, once again, unless your upgrading to forced induction as in superchargers, turbo's which require more fuel, it is not necessary to upgrade to aftermarket or racing type spark plugs... I would however recommend replacing your spark plugs with OEM Motorcraft spark plugs depending on the mileage or if your not certain when they were last changed... In the meantime, hope the info provided is helpful and welcome aboard...
Old 9/3/24, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Agreed! That Ford racing intake manifold doesn't require upgrading to larger injectors... Unless your adding a supercharger or turbocharger which both require more fuel, upgrading to larger fuel injectors is not necessary... I would however assume the Ford racing manifold may require an aftermarket tune for adjusting the air/fuel ratio... As for the recommendation towards upgrading the spark plugs, once again, unless your upgrading to forced induction as in superchargers, turbo's which require more fuel, it is not necessary to upgrade to aftermarket or racing type spark plugs... I would however recommend replacing your spark plugs with OEM Motorcraft spark plugs depending on the mileage or if your not certain when they were last changed... In the meantime, hope the info provided is helpful and welcome aboard...
Thanks... I'll be changing out both upstream O2 sensors and the plugs as well. My mechanic wants to go with Motorcraft gapped at 40 thousands and the Tuner facility said NGK TR6 gapped at 35 thousands.

I found out from Bama Performance when i called them that this engine is NOT cammed that they knew of but they were aware of the Ford Racing Intake, 62mm throttlebody, Borla Exhaust with no cats and the 4.10 gears which was what the tune was for.

Do I go with the Motorcraft at 40 or the NGK at 35?
Old 9/3/24, 05:12 PM
The Analog Admin!

Sure Would Like To Know What Plugs are In it and What They Look Like! Could Be The Issue. May Not Need a New Tune. Gear Change Should Be a Parameter in Your Hand Held. Might get Off Cheaper With Plugs & Gear Change.

It Could Have Other Issues and Current Tune is Fine Or it Could Be Crap as Well! I Have Not Heard The Best Feedback on The Bama Tunes in The Later Years. They Were The Stuff Back in My Day and I Have One in My 07 Gt-500. In Fact The First Tune For The Gt-500 With C&L Intake From Them Back Then From The Original Founder Doug. But as Rocky {m05} Will Attest They Went South Sometime Down The Road After Being Sold. Just a Little FYI. But Again Really Curious as To What Plugs are in it and Condition.

BTMO.

KC
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (9/4/24)
Old 9/3/24, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Sure Would Like To Know What Plugs are In it and What They Look Like! Could Be The Issue. May Not Need a New Tune. Gear Change Should Be a Parameter in Your Hand Held. Might get Off Cheaper With Plugs & Gear Change.

It Could Have Other Issues and Current Tune is Fine Or it Could Be Crap as Well! I Have Not Heard The Best Feedback on The Bama Tunes in The Later Years. They Were The Stuff Back in My Day and I Have One in My 07 Gt-500. In Fact The First Tune For The Gt-500 With C&L Intake From Them Back Then From The Original Founder Doug. But as Rocky {m05} Will Attest They Went South Sometime Down The Road After Being Sold. Just a Little FYI. But Again Really Curious as To What Plugs are in it and Condition.

BTMO.

KC
I guess ill find out soon enough. It has 98k miles on it.... and I'd rather do it myself so I know...
05stangkc (9/3/24)
Old 9/4/24, 05:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by Rokkaholik
.... Do I go with the Motorcraft at 40 or the NGK at 35?
I don't know of any reason to go with anything other than OEM at OEM gap spec, unless the car has major mods such as a supercharger ... and that seems to be the consensus based on all the threads I have read about this ... but maybe the tuner knows something we don't know?
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
05stangkc (9/4/24), m05fastbackGT (9/4/24)
Old 9/4/24, 12:32 PM

Thanks... I'll be changing out both upstream O2 sensors and the plugs as well. My mechanic wants to go with Motorcraft gapped at 40 thousands and the Tuner facility said NGK TR6 gapped at 35 thousands.

I found out from Bama Performance when i called them that this engine is NOT cammed that they knew of but they were aware of the Ford Racing Intake, 62mm throttlebody, Borla Exhaust with no cats and the 4.10 gears which was what the tune was for.

Do I go with the Motorcraft at 40 or the NGK at 35?
Once again, you do NOT need to upgrade to aftermarket spark plugs nor gap them knowing your engine is still naturally aspirated... Unless your upgrading to forced induction, such as superchargers, turbo's ect which require more fuel, stick with OEM Motorcraft spark plugs and do NOT gap them, as they're pre gapped at the factory!!!

BTMO.

KC
Kevin, as previously mentioned, unless the OP's vehicle has been upgraded to forced induction as in superchargers which require more fuel, it is not necessary to upgrade to aftermarket or racing grade spark plugs...
Nor does the OP require gapping OEM motorcraft spark plugs... He should just keep the Motorcraft spark plugs at the OEM gap specs set by the factory...

Originally Posted by Bert
I don't know of any reason to go with anything other than OEM at OEM gap spec, unless the car has major mods such as a supercharger ... and that seems to be the consensus based on all the threads I have read about this ... but maybe the tuner knows something we don't know?
Unless the OP's vehicle has some type of forced induction that we're unaware of, there is no reason for him to gap his spark plugs anything other than at OEM gap specs...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/4/24 at 12:34 PM.
Old 9/4/24, 12:54 PM
The Analog Admin!

Rocky,

I Gave a Like to Berts Post 10 Which Mean I Agree With His Statement. Never Said Anything About Using Ngk's or Gap Change so Don't Know What You are Reading into My Post. My Statement is in Regards as to Has The Previous Owner Put in Incorrect Plugs at Some Point. You Know I Lean OEM in Most Scenarios.

Anyhoo, So There is Another Oem Plug Vote!

After a Little Research I Don't Think a Ngk Tr6 is Even Gonna Fit! DOH!

Am I Missing Something or Where is Tuner Getting This Interchange?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=7212&jsn=1094

KC

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...choice=0-0-1-1
Old 9/4/24, 01:41 PM

I'm just going to go stock Motorcraft gapped at 40 to be safe. The injectors are also stock so they'll stay unless I need to replace them. Now down to figuring out exhaust
Old 9/4/24, 01:56 PM
The Analog Admin!

After a Bit of Research There Are Some Interchange Glitches in Regards To Motorcraft to Ngk Plugs and I Can See Where Tuner May Have Got Misleading Info.

You Do Have a Motorcraft Upgrade Available.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...park+plug,7212

KC

Old 9/4/24, 05:32 PM

After a Bit of Research There Are Some Interchange Glitches in Regards To Motorcraft to Ngk Plugs and I Can See Where Tuner May Have Got Misleading Info.

You Do Have a Motorcraft Upgrade Available.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...park+plug,7212

KC

my mechanic is ordering them today... appx 21 bucks each. Back in my day (ha... im 50) i used to do my own work but my deteriorating disk in my lower back screams at me these days. I can do a little here and there but i dont push it or i pay for it.
Old 9/4/24, 05:44 PM
The Analog Admin!

My Wife & I Both Have Fybromyalgia & She Has Disc Issues As Well! So We Freeze Up Like The Tin Man Every Night & Morning & Have a Short Window of Thawing Mid Morning to Mid Afternoon With Meds! On a Good Day That is! Oh Well The Cars are Still Kicking it!

Best Regards,

KC
Old 9/4/24, 07:30 PM

My Wife & I Both Have Fybromyalgia & She Has Disc Issues As Well! So We Freeze Up Like The Tin Man Every Night & Morning & Have a Short Window of Thawing Mid Morning to Mid Afternoon With Meds! On a Good Day That is! Oh Well The Cars are Still Kicking it!

Best Regards,

KC
My jobs have always been physical.... I don't notice while I'm working or whatnot, but my back will indeed remind me once i relax... Then its ibuprofin (or stronger) and possible crack-o-practor
Old 9/5/24, 02:56 PM

Rocky,

I Gave a Like to Berts Post 10 Which Mean I Agree With His Statement. Never Said Anything About Using Ngk's or Gap Change so Don't Know What You are Reading into My Post. My Statement is in Regards as to Has The Previous Owner Put in Incorrect Plugs at Some Point. You Know I Lean OEM in Most Scenarios.

Anyhoo, So There is Another Oem Plug Vote!

After a Little Research I Don't Think a Ngk Tr6 is Even Gonna Fit! DOH!

Am I Missing Something or Where is Tuner Getting This Interchange?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=7212&jsn=1094

KC

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...choice=0-0-1-1
Kevin! I was not referring to Bert (John's) post... Nor did I misread your post, I was clearly responding to what you mentioned about not being sure what brand of spark plugs where currently installed in the OP's vehicle...
I was just attempting to point out that unless the OP is running any type of forced induction, that he should stick with OEM Motorcraft spark plugs and to keep them pre gapped at OEM specs...

BTMO.

KC
​​​​​​​

I'm just going to go stock Motorcraft gapped at 40 to be safe. The injectors are also stock so they'll stay unless I need to replace them. Now down to figuring out exhaust
IMHO, you made a very excellent decision to go stock Motorcraft pre-gapped at OEM 40 specs... In the meantime, we'll all be looking forward to your progress updates...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/5/24 at 03:04 PM.
Old 9/5/24, 03:02 PM
The Analog Admin!

10-4 Good Buddy Not A Prob!

Was Not trying To SPARK any Controversy! That Would Be FUELISH! and Could Actually BACKFIRE!

KC
m05fastbackGT (9/5/24)
Old 9/5/24, 03:07 PM

It's all good, Kevin... No worries, my friend!
05stangkc (9/5/24)