The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Which is Better (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f668/)
-   -   Top Gear Lotus Exige S vs 05 Mustang GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f668/top-gear-lotus-exige-s-vs-05-mustang-gt-435052/)

blk05stang 5/23/06 02:57 PM

Top Gear Lotus Exige S vs 05 Mustang GT

This is from the latest episode of Top Gear. The stang loses but this is still cool to watch. Look how much bigger the stang is. :cool:

http://media.putfile.com/Top-Gear-Lo...-05-Mustang-GT

97svtgoin05gt 5/23/06 03:09 PM

That thing is a skateboard. I think they should match a '66 Cobra 427 against it instead.

burningman 5/23/06 04:00 PM

I think that exige would whip the day lights out of a 427 on that track

ScottyBoy302 5/23/06 05:22 PM

Definitely. That 427 would be all over the place, i dunno if it would even stand up to a mustang gt.

StangNut 5/23/06 08:08 PM

If the Mustang could stay that close to the Lotus, the 427 Cobra would eat it it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A stock Mustang GT can't even come close to outrunning a 427 Cobra.

The only race the Lotus would beat the Cobra in would be a pure slolum course.

199 5/23/06 08:33 PM

the lotus has amazing handling its light weight and has great aerodynamics, why are they even compare two completly diffrent cars (diffrent class),, they should have had a Caymen S and a Exige S now that would have been intresting.

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/i...2006184833.jpg

RaGsHoCkEy88 5/23/06 09:53 PM

i was behind a lotus elise at the self service wash yesterday and they lotus compared to my car is sooooooo small...it doesnt sound good either

Lowe! 5/24/06 06:06 AM

I think the Lotus will fit in the bed of my truck...between the wheel wells. That thing is basicly a 4-wheeled motorcycle.

tw0scoops123 5/24/06 06:44 AM

So basically you'd get killed in a car that small in anything collision shy of a kid on his tricycle. How could they compare a car that costs twice as much and like half the weight?

Put another 20k mods in the mustang and it would decimate that POS on the track and definately at the strip.......he's comparing apples and spaceships.

bpmurr 5/24/06 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by StangNut
If the Mustang could stay that close to the Lotus, the 427 Cobra would eat it it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A stock Mustang GT can't even come close to outrunning a 427 Cobra.

Please tell me your joking right? In the test they ran the 427 Cobra would have done no better then the GT. Probably worse because of losing more speed in the turns.

burningman 5/24/06 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by StangNut

That's why I said "that track"
if it was a more wide open track the Cobra would have a chance..but on a real twisty track the cobra would be a huge pig out there. It's not about horsepower on a winding track. The aerial Atom out paced a Porshe carrea gt and almost beat the enzo on the Top Gear test track and that car has next to nothing HP wise compared to those two.

You also have to remeber guys that this test was for fun...it's just Jeremy having a good time with two cars he likes.

StangNut 5/24/06 09:14 AM

What do you think the Cobra was built for? Drag racing?

94tbird 5/24/06 09:38 AM

what does one of those lotus' retail for?

BLT2RUN 5/24/06 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 94tbird
what does one of those lotus' retail for?

I think Jeremy said 23k GBP at the end of the video. That's about $43k USD.

Boomer 5/24/06 09:53 AM

I love his description though:"It's got a 4.6L 300hp engine in the front, solid axle in the back, and a Stig in the middle"You guys DO remember that the 05 GT is inbetween COOL and SUB ZERO on the cool wall right :D

tw0scoops123 5/24/06 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by BLT2RUN
I think Jeremy said 23k GBP at the end of the video. That's about $43k USD.

Pretty sure it's closer to 50-56k. Check out Edmunds or something.

43 might be the standard Elise.

outdoorstom 5/24/06 09:59 AM

Is it just me, or does anybody else find that Jeremy guy getting on their nerves? Can you say "pompous"?:bat:

MusicMan66 5/24/06 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
Definitely. That 427 would be all over the place, i dunno if it would even stand up to a mustang gt.

Umm, have you ever actually SEEN a 427 Cobra on the track? There are very few cars that could keep up with it, and that Lotus isn't one of them. I was at the track one time where most drivers had their Mustang GTs and Mustang Cobras out there. Then this guy takes his 427 Cobra on the track and laps them all three times in 20 minutes. That's some serious power and handling, folks.

burningman 5/24/06 10:48 AM

I hate to break it to you but a 1960's vitage Cobra would get spanked by the exige...if you are talking about a tuned track kit cobra with track day suspension and all new componants then you may have a race on your hands. Lotus is by far one of the best companies in regards to handling. There is simply no way a vintage cobra would outrun an Exige on a twisty track. You are taking 1960 technilogy vs 2006 technology. No contest IMO. Like i said..it's not all in the horsepower.
and yes i have seen a kit race cobra out on the track but never a real 1960's era cobra

MusicMan66 5/24/06 10:53 AM

Yeah, it was a kit 427, not an original. Your statements about the vintage Cobras are correct. :)