Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Looking for experienced advice

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/18, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for experienced advice

Hi guys , I currently own an 03’ mustang vert V6 and treat this thing like my baby. I love it but I’ve always wanted a 2007-09 model (reaaaally like the body style) or even a 2010-2013 in one particular case. I’d like to buy a Shelby GT500. I like the interior and color options on the 10-13s and I hear the power is absolutely crazy. It wouldn’t be a daily driver it would be a weekend toy (my first one to be honest) I have a good job at a dealership and know my boss can get me just about any car another dealership will part with, I’m also working an extra job to pack away extra money every month so I can drop a large down payment on the car as well. I’m torn between getting the newer nicer model or going with the body style I love but giving up the extras (which is a big deal to me due to the fact this is my first major major purchase). I’ve drove a lot of cars both new and used and mustangs are definitely my fave. Can anybody help with some pros and cons on the technicals and feel of the two car, seems the price difference isnt a whole heck of a lot
Old 4/3/18, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Get an 11+. The aluminum block makes the car feel much more nimble. The iron block of the 07-10 really makes the car feel like a pig. I'd really suggest getting a 13-14 if you can. They don't really need any mods.
Old 4/4/18, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Get an 11+. The aluminum block makes the car feel much more nimble. The iron block of the 07-10 really makes the car feel like a pig. I'd really suggest getting a 13-14 if you can. They don't really need any mods.

ive found a couple 13s for a decent price plus I like the color and options on on 11+ as Far as mods I’d like to leave it stock anyways (not gonna be racing unless it’s a run time at a local track for fun) but I heard that the shifter should be swapped (aparently the stock sticks sometimes?) and thanks for the feed back!
Old 4/4/18, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Kev Worthington Jr.
ive found a couple 13s for a decent price plus I like the color and options on on 11+ as Far as mods I’d like to leave it stock anyways (not gonna be racing unless it’s a run time at a local track for fun) but I heard that the shifter should be swapped (aparently the stock sticks sometimes?) and thanks for the feed back!
No matter what Mustang you get, you should get an MGW Race Spec. Just do it! Especially on the Tremec that the GT500s come with. You will not regret it.

If you're not going to mod it, I'd for sure get a 13-14 if you can afford it. Especially if it has the Performance Package with the electronically adjustable Bilsteins.
Old 4/4/18, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I have two Mustangs, a very high mileage [ 400,000 ] '01 3.8 V6 5 speed manual that I drive daily and a '14 GT 6 speed manual. They have some similarities and some major differences. Both have a 107.something wheelbase. The '14 GT besides being newer is just better in every way. It rides better, but is still nimble. It is heavier and you can feel the weight, but as I said it still has a nimble feel to it. The V6 runs fine and has OK power, but compared to the 5.0 Coyote in the '14 it's a slug. The headlights on the '14 are vastly better. Also vastly more expensive if replacement is ever necessary. My '14 is a base model, but the interior is still nicer and just has a better feel to it. The trunk on the '14 has a bit more space if that matters to you. The '01 has better rear visibility when backing up. Most new cars suck where this is concerned. The "A" pillars on the '01 are thinner and offer better visibility, again most new cars have thicker "A" pillars. All things considered get the newer Mustang if you can afford it.

'a'
Old 4/5/18, 08:56 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
I think the key decision for you will be performance related. I absolutely enjoy my '07 and always have since buying it 'new'. It's hard to believe how the years go by. The 5 speed in my GT/CS gives me that sporty performance that I need but I imagine it is quite slow compared to the newer 5.0L engines. Having a 430 HP C6 makes me realize how slow it is in comparison but I have zero interest in getting a newer Mustang. I love the way my GT/CS looks and I don't race. I can count on one hand how many times I have absolutely floored it. That's just me, but you??? Only you know what you will be happy with. I imagine a sweet ultra low mileage one or two owner '07-'09 can be had for decent money which is always a plus. Good luck!

Looking for experienced advice-2007-mustang-gtcs-011-copy.jpg
The following users liked this post:
tbear853 (1/10/21)
Old 4/5/18, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I think the key decision for you will be performance related. I absolutely enjoy my '07 and always have since buying it 'new'. It's hard to believe how the years go by. The 5 speed in my GT/CS gives me that sporty performance that I need but I imagine it is quite slow compared to the newer 5.0L engines. Having a 430 HP C6 makes me realize how slow it is in comparison but I have zero interest in getting a newer Mustang. I love the way my GT/CS looks and I don't race. I can count on one hand how many times I have absolutely floored it. That's just me, but you??? Only you know what you will be happy with. I imagine a sweet ultra low mileage one or two owner '07-'09 can be had for decent money which is always a plus. Good luck!

Attachment 211528
Not comparing apples to apples. I'd rather have a Bullitt or Grabber Orange or Vapor Silver 07-09 GT than an 07-09 GT500. I've driven the older GT500s. They're not enjoyable stock, IMO. They wallow and aren't much faster (if at all) than my car, while handling like crap.
Old 4/5/18, 10:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
I have one of each. The '07 manual is mine, and the '13 auto is the wife's. They are as different as day, and night. The '07 is a little raw, rough around the edges, with little technology. The '13 is more refined, much more power/torque, drives and rides better, with more technology (but not as much as the new generation). With that said I enjoy driving the '07 a bit better because of the manual (that's a personal opinion though), and with 95K miles it is still very reliable. We have taken the '13 across country twice, south to New Orleans once, with many shorter trips along the way, and the car is great in town or on the road. I do think that you (I'm guessing your much younger than me) at your age would be happier with the '11 - 14's. They are stronger, smoother, with the technology you will like. They are also quite reliable. Ours has 41K miles, and hasn't had any serious problems. Good luck on your search.

Last edited by wanted33; 4/5/18 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (4/6/18)
Old 1/10/21, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I think the key decision for you will be... etc ...
Attachment 211528
Yeah, I do like that car and those mountains. Looks like overlooking Brinegar Cabin area?

Last edited by tbear853; 1/10/21 at 04:32 PM.
Old 3/25/21, 06:39 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by tbear853
Yeah, I do like that car and those mountains. Looks like overlooking Brinegar Cabin area?
Haha, just found this older thread. Still a 'thanks' is in order. This photo is just a few miles from my home on a mountain pass headed to Hayesville NC.