From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

Buying off the lot vs. ordering

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/06, 12:55 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying off the lot vs. ordering

I have a question for probably anyone with experience, but I thought the sales people here might be a good group to ask.

I will be looking to purchase my first-ever new car and my first-ever Mustang later this year. I'm thinking that I might be able to find something on the lot that I like, though I'm certainly willing to order to get something I'd like.

What I'm concerned with is buying a car that might have several hundred of "test drives" on it. I think we can all imagine that there are more than a few test-drivers who want nothing more than to beat on a brand-new GT. So for the sales people around here, is the reliability of a car affected if it's been used for a few months for test drives? Should I not be concerned? Should I expect some sort of discount for such usage? (For what it may matter, I will be buying under the X plan.)

Thank you for your time and responses.
Old 6/9/06, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's going to depend on the size of the dealership that you go to, but from my experience, GT's usually don't require a few months of test drives in order to be sold.
Old 6/9/06, 06:05 PM
GT Member

I hope that's the case and that my local dealers keep getting a steady influx of new GT's.

October can't get here fast enough...
Old 6/9/06, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

In my experience the Mustangs dont get really beat on but I can only speak for those that come off our lot. Mustangs in general are designed to be driven hard but I would never let a test drive go as far as to test a clutch dump or burn out distance.

-Dan
Old 6/9/06, 08:46 PM

My experience has been finding a dealer that is willing to actually order a car. One I spoke to recently flat told me that they were only interested in moving what they had "on the ground" right now. I can understand that they are taking a chance on ordering something that could take a couple of months to come in and then the customer back out or change his mind or whatever. I have bought new vehicles both ways and I perfer to order. I can get exactly what I want. I found a small dealer a few years ago who did this for me on a pickup truck I ordered. Waiting for it to come in was like a kid waiting for Christmas!
Old 6/10/06, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

You are lucky to have this option, when a lot of us got ours, it was order or go without. Either way you go, make sure it is the car you want, not the one you settled on. I would love to have some of the 07 options, but for what was available in 05, mine is perfect and I would change nothing. No regrets.
Old 6/11/06, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've ordered in 4 new vehicles in my lifetime. It's the only way to go. That way YOU get what YOU want for your $30k. Not what someone else wanted. Just for a reference, the wife's 04 mustang had 8 kms. on it when it arrived new.That's about 5 miles. Yours should'nt have to much more, if any. Tell your salseman, no test drives; absolutely none, and if you catch anyone spinning the tires, ( including his wash bay guy ) or any test drives, other than yourself, the deal is off! Good Luck! You won't regret it!
Old 6/12/06, 12:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

My 05 was the first car I have ever ordered. The previous new cars were either on the lot or the dealer found one at another dealership. Of course, these were not Mustangs. IMO the fact that this is your first car, you should get what you exactly what you want. You will have memories of the car for a long, long, time.
Old 6/12/06, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

On the other hand, dealers are starting to stack up the GT inventory (at least here in Tulsa). Every Ford dealer has at minimum six sitting on the lot. (That's not including the Roushes.) If they've been on the lot 45-60 days, you could practically steal one right now. And still get pretty much what you want.
Old 6/13/06, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

If you find what you want then that is great. If not, don't compromise. Get what you want and order an 07. It will be worth the wait. The couple of dealerships I've visited in the Memphis area over the last few days have GT's and V6's in abundance. Last year this would have been completely different.
Old 6/13/06, 12:18 PM
Cobra Member

By ordering, you get everything you want, nothing you don't. And what is the wait now that '07 production has started? Four to six weeks? It will be worth the wait. Gotta go clean out my garage, my Grabber range GT will be here a week from tomorrow (6/21).Order one...Pup
Old 6/26/06, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've purchased 2 new Mustangs(02 mineral grey 6cyl coupe and my 06 GT coupe) both had less than 15 miles on the odometer(usually PDI) To even test drive a 5spd standard GT many dealers around here want a deposit. The dealer I bought my 06 from has a couple of GT's on the front row but there was another half dozen in the back lot. This was where I found mine. The battery was even dead when we went to start it up. My good friend is the Used Car/Business Manager at the dealer(he also worked at the dealer where I bought my 02) and let me and the wife take it out for a spin without him.(Missed third on my first full throttle blast.Ouch!!).As for options the car was just as I would have ordered. After I bought my 02 I said I would never buy a new car again because you take a big hit as soon as you drive it off the lot. Last year we bought a 04 GT convertible auto in Competition orange that was a lease back from a rental (Budget) with less than 10,000 miles. It was a very nice car but had a few minor issues(dent in rear quarter that was repaired,torn carpet at floor mat loop, small tear in headliner,scratches in the paint,some road rash on the passenger side rims) but it was still a very sharp car. But the minor flaws started to bug me so we traded it in on the 06.(missing the droptop today as the temp is in the mid 80's). For me I prefer to buy off the lot because I am just to impatient to wait. But if I had not found what I wanted I would have done a factory order. So if you're fortunate enough to find what you want, go for it. If not then order and wait.
Attached Thumbnails Buying off the lot vs. ordering-window-sticker.jpg   Buying off the lot vs. ordering-old-new-medium-.jpg   Buying off the lot vs. ordering-img_0129-medium-.jpg   Buying off the lot vs. ordering-img_0117-medium-.jpg  
Old 7/3/06, 06:36 PM
GT Member

I guess that's the big question: Will the dealer LET you order an 07 if they have a bunch of 06 they're trying to unload. If not, go to another dealer?
Old 7/4/06, 10:58 AM

I was afraid I would have to order one... They didnt have the GT that i wanted at my local dealership when I went for a test drive earlier this year. After i told them the colors and options I wanted, they told me that they would proabbly have to order my stang, but they offrered to check all the other ford dealerships in a 12 state area before they submitted the order form, since i would have to wait so long to get it. I guess I was really lucky.....They found the very same car I was going to order in tennessee, and told me they could have it in two days. So i guess I technically bought off the lot.
Old 7/5/06, 05:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedneckPony
...They found the very same car I was going to order in tennessee, and told me they could have it in two days. So i guess I technically bought off the lot.
If you don't mind the hundreds of miles that they will put on retrieving it for you...
Old 8/15/06, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by flashfearless
If you don't mind the hundreds of miles that they will put on retrieving it for you...
They wont drive it that distance. It will go on a flat bed (or other transport vehicle) and be taken to the designated dealership.