Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/16, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
So today I changed it up a bit and did a track event which was an autocross. I have only done two prior to this. The event was put on by Vista Ford racing A subsidiary of the Ford dealership I purchased my car from.
There was a great turnout 45-50 cars. Some autocross regulars as well as race prepped cars. Cobras, Shelby's, GT 350s, modified S550s, The Borla cup car and the Willwood modified vintage Mustang.
This was my first outing with my new wheels and tires...
What a fantastic tire. I felt like I was cheating. Of all the cars all day I posted the fastest time. They awarded first second and third place trophies and prizes. Although due to a technicality of clipping a cone, I was bumped from first place to second. Most everyone thought it was BS because it was not noted until the very end. Even the guy they awarded first place to said I was the fastest all day and that I should be awarded first.
No worries though I was just happy to place.
BTW First place was a Shelby GT 350
Attached Thumbnails Track Related Mods-photo466.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
SGwick (9/18/16)
Old 9/17/16, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Track Related Mods-photo725.jpg

Last edited by redonblackpony; 9/17/16 at 10:06 PM.
Old 9/17/16, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Congrats, well done! Good driving out there!
redonblackpony (9/17/16)
Old 9/17/16, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Track Related Mods-photo665.jpg
Old 9/17/16, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Track Related Mods-photo612.jpg
Old 9/17/16, 10:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Track Related Mods-photo586.jpg
Old 9/17/16, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

No video today. Autocross video is a little boring IMHO. I'll have a video from the road course track next Saturday at auto club Speedway.
Old 9/17/16, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Some have said that the S197 will not handle as well as the S550.
I'm here to tell you that that is not true!
SGwick (9/18/16)
Old 9/18/16, 05:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by redonblackpony
So today I changed it up a bit and did a track event which was an autocross. . . .
This was my first outing with my new wheels and tires...
What a fantastic tire. I felt like I was cheating. Of all the cars all day I posted the fastest time. . . .
BTW First place was a Shelby GT 350
Wow, that's an awesome prize! Sponsor must have deep pockets. Too bad, maybe next time.

I keep thinking I should try some autocross but I think the waiting around all day, to drive for 30 seconds or so, would drive me nuts.

Can you remind us what wheels you are running? You mention the tires (NT01) a page back, but the wheels are way back there somewhere . . . are they 19" or 18"? And the NT01's are NOT street legal, correct?

I am at the point with this track thing that I need to either go in deeper, or get out. I am at a plateau now which I think is mostly limited by the car (no doubt there is some room for improvement with the driver also) but it's frustrating to be not improving. I think wheels/tires is probably the biggest thing I can do (short of a whole new car) so trying to decide if I will make that money commitment or not. I have 19x9.5 wheels now, but they are fairly heavy (about 30 pounds?).

Last edited by Bert; 9/18/16 at 05:11 AM.
Old 9/18/16, 08:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Ready for trackday towing (decals = 5mph+) :-)
Attached Thumbnails Track Related Mods-photo454.jpg  
Old 9/18/16, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SGwick
Love it!
Old 9/18/16, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Wow, that's an awesome prize! Sponsor must have deep pockets. Too bad, maybe next time. I keep thinking I should try some autocross but I think the waiting around all day, to drive for 30 seconds or so, would drive me nuts. Can you remind us what wheels you are running? You mention the tires (NT01) a page back, but the wheels are way back there somewhere . . . are they 19" or 18"? And the NT01's are NOT street legal, correct? I am at the point with this track thing that I need to either go in deeper, or get out. I am at a plateau now which I think is competition mostly limited by the car (no doubt there is some room for improvement with the driver also) but it's frustrating to be not improving. I think wheels/tires is probably the biggest thing I can do (short of a whole new car) so trying to decide if I will make that money commitment or not. I have 19x9.5 wheels now, but they are fairly heavy (about 30 pounds?).
yes, driving for 40 seconds and then waiting an hour is a bit boring but that's what most track days are all about anyway.
My car is definitely not set up for autocross but I was certainly surprised when I beat the competition.
The tires are NItto NT01 275x40x18 and the wheels are TSW InterLagos 9.5" (19.9lbs ea). Most stock 9" wheels weigh in at 30 pounds +.
Do used tires are recommended for road racing and autocross only. They are street legal, but they are quite noisy because they do not have tread beads.
I have been doing HPDE events for almost 5 years now. During that time, I have always used high-performance summer only street tires.
Like you, I had reached a plateau or the cars potential. This modification brought me to the next level. I could not be happier! Like I quoted before, I felt like I was cheating somehow. Wheels and tires make that much of a difference.
Old 9/18/16, 10:27 AM
Banned

That's awesome redonblack! Good work man! 10lbs/corner and sticky rummer makes a ton of difference.

I only did autocross as part of driver's training for my job. But I never participated in one of these events in my own car. Is there any kind of opportunity to warm up times and brakes (and brain) before the runs?

I think key to posting good times in auto-x is to be able to get to 90-95% of what you fast HPDE laps almost immediately. The trick is to go from 0 to fast laps type performance in 1 lap. Do you agree?

Great driving, I'm sure you were in a class with similarly moded cars, so your podium finish and fastest lap are a testament to your skill.
redonblackpony (9/18/16)
Old 9/18/16, 10:29 AM
Banned

Oh dude, those stickers are worth their weight in gold!

And they are super light, so good mod!
Old 9/18/16, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
That's awesome redonblack! Good work man! 10lbs/corner and sticky rummer makes a ton of difference. I only did autocross as part of driver's training for my job. But I never participated in one of these events in my own car. Is there any kind of opportunity to warm up times and brakes (and brain) before the runs? I think key to posting good times in auto-x is to be able to get to 90-95% of what you fast HPDE laps almost immediately. The trick is to go from 0 to fast laps type performance in 1 lap. Do you agree? Great driving, I'm sure you were in a class with similarly moded cars, so your podium finish and fastest lap are a testament to your skill.
Each session is 3 timed runs with approximately five minutes between each run. The first run is a throwaway. This warms up your tires and brakes and gets you ready for the second and third run.
So yes, you are right in that you have to hit it extremely hard like getting your best lap time during HPDE event on your outgoing or 2nd lap.
During the final session the competition was getting extremely tight. I thought it might be necessary to check\deflate cold tire pressures to get maximum grip. Unfamiliar with this particular tire I set them the same as my street tires 33F 32R Cold psi. At the starting line during my final two runs the professional drivers ask what I had my tire pressure set at. They snickered and said oh wow that's way too high should be more like 26 cold. Moral of the story… Tires had way more in them. This is good to know
Old 9/22/16, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guys, silly me got the car emissions test with the tune = failed test (see photos). Question: can I just put stock tune and retest or do I have to replace the Steeda CAI to stock w/stock tune?
Attached Thumbnails Track Related Mods-photo990.jpg   Track Related Mods-photo463.jpg  

Last edited by SGwick; 9/22/16 at 04:26 PM.
Old 9/22/16, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
. . . can I just put stock tune and retest or do I have to replace the Steeda CAI to stock w/stock tune?
Do you have cats and all of the original O2 sensors? If no, you have a problem . . . if yes, you should be able to get a tune that does not turn them off and it should pass. Some call it an "emissions tune." I am not sure why they turn off the rear O2's, but a lot of tuners do that. All they have to do is leave them on, and it should pass.

If you use the factory tune with the Steeda CAI, the car will not run right. It will run lean because the MAF section in that CAI is larger than stock; so the computer will think there is less air coming in than there really is; it will command fuel for the lesser amount of air; and it will run lean. Hope that makes sense!

If it is Bama tune, they should be able to fix it for you, but you might need to talk to a "lead tuner" who knows what you are talking about.
SGwick (9/22/16)
Old 9/22/16, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thx Bert. I have all the original O2 sensors and cats. Just changed to Steeda CAI and tune. I'll contact Steeda.
Old 9/22/16, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

tj@steeda do you know if Steeda has an "emissions" tune?
Old 9/22/16, 10:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
tj@steeda do you know if Steeda has an "emissions" tune?
This concerns me. I asked steeda if they turned off the o2 sensors as part of their tune and they said no. It's a huge part of why I bought it. Please let us know what they say. This c would definitely change my opinion of my tune.

Quick Reply: Track Related Mods