Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/16, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Accusump too, daaaaang. Homie don't play!
Old 9/14/16, 11:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Accusump too, daaaaang. Homie don't play!
Haha well I watched my friend dan make a new, unwanted hole in his engine block at Watkins Glen last year after pulling like 1.5 g's in the esses... He had low oil pressure due to high g's thanks to aero... So accusump for me! They are right here in CT too

Because race car
Old 9/14/16, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Because race car
^ This. Talladega nights.

I have this sticker on my back window: "BRAKES SQUEAL BECAUSE RACE CAR"
Old 9/14/16, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
. . . I have this sticker on my back window: "BRAKES SQUEAL BECAUSE RACE CAR"
LOL, with my new Carbotech pads, I NEED one of those stickers!

I'm thinking Bridgestone Potenza RE71r next time. I just have to decide if I want to go 275/35-19 or 285/35-19
Yeah, I have been drooling over those too. There was a guy at the track tonight who was running them and telling me how great they are. But they are going to cost a bit more than our old S04's . . .

Why those sizes? I have a feeling you might be getting better results with the S04's because you have the 40 aspect ratio, I have the 35's and I wonder if a little more sidewall flex is a good thing?

hmmmmm . . . .just looked up the sizes on tire rack and I see they don't have a 275/40-19 . . . hmmmm . . . might be time for some light weight 18" wheels too . . .

or maybe it would be cheaper and quicker to just buy a corvette ;-)

Last edited by Bert; 9/14/16 at 07:27 PM.
Old 9/14/16, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mustang5o
If you download Race Render to use with Track Addict you can get track overlays as well as speed and such (GPS speed). That's what I've used in the past. Race Render is free if you are good with just doing 2 minute videos otherwise you need to buy the software ($40 I think) to do whole sessions.

You can also buy BT GPS add-ons for Track Addict to get better speed that way. I figured my OBD II speed won't be accurate because I have different tires sizes for the track. So for now, neither way will be accurate for me. I will probably give Harry's a try some day as well though. Some track buddies of mine are using it.
Yeah I have the free version of Race Render now, will spring for the paid version very soon because I want to make some longer videos.

But Harry's does seem like a better app from what I have seen . . . However I do like the ability to get the video files onto my PC, so I can watch them at full resolution on a large screen with good speakers; rather than being tied to the phone or a Youtube upload.
Old 9/14/16, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bert
LOL, with my new Carbotech pads, I NEED one of those stickers!

Yeah, I have been drooling over those too. There was a guy at the track tonight who was running them and telling me how great they are. But they are going to cost a bit more than our old S04's . . .

Why those sizes? I have a feeling you might be getting better results with the S04's because you have the 40 aspect ratio, I have the 35's and I wonder if a little more sidewall flex is a good thing?

hmmmmm . . . .just looked up the sizes on tire rack and I see they don't have a 275/40-19 . . . hmmmm . . . might be time for some light weight 18" wheels too . . .

or maybe it would be cheaper and quicker to just buy a corvette ;-)
You got it. Those 2 are the only sizes available in 19" that will fit my 9.5" rims.

Interesting theory on the aspect ratio. The thing is, most extreme performance tires only come in lower aspect ratio. I have been wondering why your S04 did not deliver similar performance to mine. I was truly impressed with my set. Could it be manufacturing variance? Could it be aspect ratio? I have no idea to be honest

But I do want to stick with 19s. My gearing is short as is with 3.73 final drive, particularly at Gingerman. Anything I get in 18" would make this even worse.

I have all fall and winter to decide, but it will definitely be one of those 2 sizes for me. I just checked with discount tire right by my house, and the RE71Rs are currently back ordered 2 months. A guy I work with runs them on his S2000 and he also sings their praises. Tire rack also said that is the best extreme performance tire out there right now too.

I'm stoked to see the difference in lap times with that tire vs the S04 next season at my local tracks.
Old 9/15/16, 08:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I'm still way up in the air on if I would like to go Accusump or possibly go with a dry sump setup instead. So many pros and cons of each, my head is spinning right now.

I did some testing of the wing at two different angles of attack (AOA). First was 5 degree AOA, which is what I ran this past week at Palmer. I then adjusted to AOA of 12 degrees, whcih is probably about as high as I can go before getting significant separation (which needs to be tested still with some flow visualization).

Anyways, resulting data is plotted up to around 100 mph and interpolated beyond that based on a 3rd degree curve. I'm glad I'm getting some decent downforce, but I want significantly more, so the next version of the wing will be wider (probably 70-72" width) and with a longer chord length (13" vs 11" at present) which will increase total surface area and also get a significant portion of the wing into the free stream, away from the car centerline.

Anyways, some data for those interested

What kind of drag are you seeing with the 12 degrees AOA? Got to try and find that perfect amount though haha.

I'm looking into the GoodAero Raptor with a swan neck mounts ..... but we are talking $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 9/15/16, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford20
. . . What kind of drag are you seeing with the 12 degrees AOA? . . . .
I gotta believe that thing is causing a LOT of extra drag, especially at 12 degrees. Probably no good way to measure it; except maybe top speed on the straights?

And also lifting the front end? Which the canards are there to counteract?
Old 9/15/16, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
So I finally got around to installing the standard height ball joints on my recently new BMR lower A arms. I had the car aligned and bumpsteer adjusted. Now -2.3° camber, 7° castor and toe out 1/16".
Track day this Saturday...it's ready!
19.9lb wheels and NItto NT01 are on and ready to go
Old 9/15/16, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Watson roll bar is being ordered!
Need 2nd job. Oh wait, have that. Need 3rd!
Old 9/15/16, 08:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by redonblackpony
Watson roll bar is being ordered!
Need 2nd job. Oh wait, have that. Need 3rd!
Good purchase. Lmk if you need any tips for install.
Old 9/15/16, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Good purchase. Lmk if you need any tips for install.
thanks for the offer. Looks to be very straightforward. I'm opting for the powder coated red one
Old 9/16/16, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

So I finally got around to installing the standard height ball joints on my recently new BMR lower A arms. . . . .
I've been wondering about this. IIRC you had issues with the extended ball joints. But I thought extended ball joints were the "correct" fix for lowered cars. Can you elaborate a little?

My control are bushings are due for a refresh and I've been thinking I will buy the entire arms with bushings and ball joints, rather than deal with removing and pressing in the bushings. This could be a good winter project (if I only had a garage . . . ). I was looking at the Steeda "boss" and the BMR's with the extended ball joints; now I am not sure?????
Old 9/16/16, 06:12 AM
Banned

I'm interested in learning more about the ball joint topic too.
Redonblack, good luck this weekend! Hope the new setup works out great, and it sounds like it will

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 9/16/16 at 06:25 AM.
Old 9/16/16, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Extended ball joints or for lowered cars more than 1.5 inches. Advertising is a little misleading and confusing. Unfortunately I did not consult with anyone from BMR before I ordered this product. Had I done that, they would have pushed me towards the standard height which I now have.
Because I had extended ball joints my track width of the front wheels was narrowed by over 1 inch. As a result I lost castor and negative camber adjustment. Front end geometry is a complicated thing and little inputs make a big difference.
Now the front a arms are dialed in and better than the stock ones for sure. As a benefit they are over 11 pounds lighter too
The following users liked this post:
5.M0NSTER (9/17/16)
Old 9/16/16, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I would highly recommend before purchasing any product that will change the geometry talking with a technician who understands the car and their product. BMR makes a great product and they fully understand the mustang and its shortcomings
Old 9/16/16, 09:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would highly recommend before purchasing any product that will change the geometry talking with a technician who understands the car and their product. BMR makes a great product and they fully understand the mustang and its shortcomings
Thanks, got it. I have not talked with BMR about this yet, but I have talked with Steeda, who I would think knows what they are doing also . . . I have their Sport springs, which are 1" drop, and they recommended their "Boss" control arms with the upgraded bushings and extended ball joints . . . . maybe they are not extended as much? IDK . . . but in any case I will talk with both of them again before I go forward. Thanks again.
Old 9/16/16, 12:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Thanks, got it. I have not talked with BMR about this yet, but I have talked with Steeda, who I would think knows what they are doing also . . . I have their Sport springs, which are 1" drop, and they recommended their "Boss" control arms with the upgraded bushings and extended ball joints . . . . maybe they are not extended as much? IDK . . . but in any case I will talk with both of them again before I go forward. Thanks again.
You are accurate in that statement -check out this article - http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...a-ball-joints/

What’s happening can be traced back to one primitive and often overlooked element of the suspension: the ball joint. The front roll center on an S197 (and an SN95) is fairly low already, so when the suspension is lowered dramatically the front roll center drops to well below ground level. The excessively low roll center actually causes the body to roll more easily, working against the performance suspension. Countering this tendency usually requires a significant increase in front spring rates to simply control the added roll due to the lowered roll center, making the ride rougher. So you end up with a rough-riding car that doesn’t handle as well as it could.

The solution is actually quite simple: a taller ball joint. By using a taller ball joint and raising the spindle relative to the ball joint pivot point, the roll center is raised back into the correct range for optimum handling, resulting in reduced body roll, quicker steering response, and improved front tire grip. That’s straight from the one company that has had the foresight to have specific custom ball joints made to fix this issue with Mustangs: Steeda.
With over 25 years of uninterrupted service, there is a reason why Steeda Autosports offers the largest complete line of Ford-based parts and accessories in the world today and is considered the largest privately owned Ford-performance-based operation in the world!

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 9/16/16 at 12:39 PM.
Old 9/16/16, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I know for certain that a taller ball joint did not help The performance aspect of my car. As a result of a taller ball joint the track width of the front wheels was reduced considerably.
Old 9/17/16, 12:47 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info redonblack. I need to educate myself a bit more on this topic.

Quick Reply: Track Related Mods