Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/18, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels

havent been here in a while. One thing to consider- is either rear caliper hanging up? When I added SS rear lines the banjo bolt was ever so slightly longer than OEM and as a result contacted the brake piston apparently. No issue for hydraulic pressure to overcome for braking, but it resulted in the piston not properly retracting. I added a washer at the banjo bolt and replaced both rear calipers. Instantly had no more rear brake issues. Didn’t bleed them all
last season and I went back to 11.8 rotors (albeit 2-piece but they were waaaaaay better even before the rotor swap)
Hey Derek, welcome back! Any track plans with the Cobalt SS (or other vehicles) this season?

I just switched b back to OE hoses (Boss LS) after blowing out an SS. I also replaced both rear calipers due to leaks past the piston seals. I don't think I have any binding, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tip!
Old 5/20/18, 08:29 PM
Banned

Les than 1 week away from first track day, followed by 2 other ones within 3 weeks.

Got my track pads on, GLoc R10s in the back at all times, and R12s up front for the events coming up.

Oh, and I'm running my Vents R-S3s in reverse direction in an attempt to even out wear. It will be scary in the rain tho
Attached Thumbnails Track Related Mods-img-1278.jpg   Track Related Mods-img-1284.jpg  
Old 5/28/18, 04:06 PM
Banned

Allright, so I have some good news, more good news, and then bad news.

Good news: brake upgrades did the trick. No more leaking fluid, solid brake performance in 90 degree humid Michigan heat, repeatable consistent braking.

More good news: New PB at Grattan of 1:31.1. Went to a ride with a coworker who is an amazing driver and drives an '11 Z06 Corvette. Learned a few new tricks around Gratan. That helped for sure.

Bad News: For the first time in 5 years doing this the temp gauge went over the middle mark. Not just a little over, but made it almost all the way to the red. When I saw this I aborted my session early and came in. I also had my datalogger with me, so I watched for the rest of the sessions. When the temp got to 3/4 of the way on the gauge it was reading 237F.

So it could be the thermostat, the water pump, or the tentioner on the water pump. Need to get it looked at.

In the mean time I got a lower temp thermostat. Factory one is 190F. I got one that is 170F from Reische
https://www.cjponyparts.com/reische-...iABEgKi9_D_BwE

Will get things checked out, replace a thermostat and do the flush before the next event on June 5. Will keep you posted.
Old 5/28/18, 04:24 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
It sounds like some additional cooling mods are in your future.
Old 5/28/18, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
sorry to hear that 5.monster

Do you still have the front grill with fog lights? May have to remove that before trackdays to get more airflow. Also try and add water wetter (pink) to coolant to lower temps (I went full DI water and water wetter)

I bought the same thermostat and I was told to recalibrate when my fan turns on, I never did but I never had anymore temp issues (installed setrab oil cooler, 302S grill, removed engine cover, DI&waterwetter, FR-GMT racing radiator)

Hope you get it working brother
Old 5/28/18, 06:59 PM
Banned

Thanks for the feedback SGwick. I was reading that this thermostat is supposed to lower coolant temps by 20F. And if it does that should be all I need for now given my 237F readings. I already have the Boss 302 radiator and oil cooler which came with the car.

I have not flushed the system either, so that will also help. I have Purple Ice additive I have not put in either.

P.S. There was a 1SS 1LE in my group, and it was consistently faster. In the corners and in the straights. So I predict better lap times for you this year. How are you liking yours?
Old 5/29/18, 02:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
There was a 1SS 1LE in my group, and it was consistently faster. In the corners and in the straights. So I predict better lap times for you this year. How are you liking yours?
I just reached my break-in mileage of 1500 so I have no track experience with the car yet. I can say the car pulls harder and feels more zippy than my 2011 although in stock form the brakes suck at stopping this car. Guess I was spoiled with the mustang DTc70 and X8 pads w/ slotted rotors lol. This is the first in my list to swap in the car. I don't have visibility issues that everyone complains about but I'm not so sure about helmet/neck protection space and headroom. I looking into Simpson hybrid 3 point oem compatible harness system but it costs $1K. I'm tired of camaro folks always talking about warranties in every forum category/post, I also feel there's more trackday aftermarket options/solutions for the mustang but I continue to keep looking. The back seat in mustang and camaro are already small but I feel the camaro is smaller and my kids hate it lol. I love the tr6060 transmission but not feeling the 6.5K redline. That's it for now but overall advances in technology in general really help my 1le out so I don't have to modify it much but it didn't completely eliminate the need to either (just my early thoughts)
Old 12/31/18, 04:46 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

If anyone is interested Maximum Motorsports has their S197 roll bars on special for new year's. It is only 10% off, but these things almost never go on sale. Here's the link https://www.maximummotorsports.com/W...Sale-C582.aspx
Old 9/13/20, 10:46 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

At the risk of getting a Zombie imoji I decided to post here instead of starting a new thread. I have finally gotten back to my track mods after some delays. The Maximum Motorsports roll bar went in about a year and a half ago after delays from a back injury that kept me out of the garage. This spring the COVID lock downs delayed me again. I am now awaiting the delivery of a Cobra Imola GT fixed back seat and a Schroth Flexi 2x2 6 point harness. I am tired of bruising my knees trying to stay in my seat during track events. The problem has only gotten worse with better suspension and stickier tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by EF1:
5.M0NSTER (9/15/20), Bert (9/14/20)
Old 9/15/20, 04:26 AM
Banned

Nice! Getting closer to a dedicated track car, I like it. The seat will help a lot, you'll be able to feel the grip level at the rear a lot more accurately.
Old 9/15/20, 07:09 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

It is not quite a dedicated track car yet, but getting close. I don't drive it much on the road anymore. I get lazy and don't like to change tires and brakes over between track outings. Also buying a trailer this year opens the book on mods since I don't have to drive it 3-4 hours each way to the track. I did put about 2500 commuter miles on it this summer while my fusion was in the shop for 6 weeks after a deer collision. It was more fun to drive than my truck.

I was sold on seats year before last at Barber. I rode with an instructor in his 2012 Mustang with Cobra seats and 6 point harnesses. I had been considering seats but wasn't finding anything that fit me well until that ride along. His car was the first with racing seats that was comfortable for me to sit in. I started laying the ground work for them soon after with the installation of the Maximum Motorsports 4 point roll bar. I was side tracked by a back injury and barely got the roll bar in before an event on the Charlotte Nascar Roval. I didn't get back to the seats last year due to injury. Then I was getting ready to order seats back in March when everyone started to lock down. Now I am less than a month before a 3 day event waiting on parts. I will let you know how it works out after the event.
Old 9/16/20, 03:32 PM
Banned

Glad you recovered and glad to see you getting track time. Let us know how you like the setup and the tires. R comps have HUGE limits, but fall off quick. So my advice would be to build lateral Gs slowly, and be ready for a quick countersteer. But it will be fast and fun. Stay safe out there and looking forward to your impressions.

I have one more day on the Nordshleife in under 2 weeks.But first a week long family vacation. I still need to find time to swap all 4 brake pads!
Old 9/28/20, 02:56 PM
Banned

Last track day of the year for me coming up in 2 days at Nordschleife. 40% chance of rain. I will run it regardless but to be honest I am afraid of rainy day on the 'Ring. Wish me luck, I will do my best to stay off the guardrails and put in a decent time.
Old 9/28/20, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
good luck, might be a good time to focus on having fun rather than logging good times, would be a shame to get that pretty blue paint all scratched up!
Old 9/28/20, 06:23 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Good luck at the ring. I go next weekend for three days at Carolina Motorsports Park. I haven't been to the track in almost a year, so it should be fun. The track was resurfaced in July/August. I have moved up to R compound tires and a fixed back race seat with a 6 point harness. The track is familiar, but the changes to the car and the race surface are going to make it a whole new animal.
Old 9/29/20, 07:58 AM
Banned

Thanks guys, good advice. If it's wet it's straight out survival mode for sure.

EF1, good luck as well, stay safe, and enjoy the new setup. I think the tires and seat will be mind blowing.
Old 9/30/20, 01:30 PM
Banned

So It was wet and fogy in the morning, and that places was like an ice rink till noon. But than the dry line became usable again, and I got a new personal best of 8:07. 8 more seconds and i'm in the 7:XX min laps!

Also I got stuck behind a 911 which would just not let me pass, even though I filled his mirrors and was close to his bumper at times. Thankfully a McLaren Senna showed up and helped me get around.

Old 10/1/20, 06:03 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Nice driving.
The following users liked this post:
5.M0NSTER (10/2/20)
Old 10/3/20, 03:34 PM
Banned

Here is the full 8:07 NOS lap. Or more like 8:03 + 4 seconds it took my camera to start recording when I pushed the button under the Bridge.

Edit. Upon closer inspection of footage I think I lost 5-6s in traffic, particularly from T13 through Hatzenbach clearing the Porsche train. I made a few mistakes in execution, the one that cost me ~2s was braking too late and rushing my entry into Bergwerk. Cost me exit speed up the long uphill section. This could have very well been a 7:5X lap otherwise.