Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/16, 05:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Congrats on getting the Boss! Looks awesome!
The following users liked this post:
mustang5o (8/23/16)
Old 8/22/16, 06:02 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang5o
Hopefully I'll be getting some good video as well. The guy left his go pro mount on the roof.

Kind of lucky turn of events (minus the recovery time for my back and neck). My 2014 Black GT was rear ended and I was able to work a deal to get this car instead of waiting for mine to be fixed.
---
WOW! Way to turn around a bad situation. Fantastic car, one of my favorites.
Old 8/22/16, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Nice upgrade!
I sure hope you don't garage this thing and drive the **** out of it. That's what it was built for
Old 8/23/16, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by redonblackpony
Nice upgrade!
I sure hope you don't garage this thing and drive the **** out of it. That's what it was built for
Yeah, I don't buy cars just to look at. Though I do enjoy looking at the Boss. I might try avoiding rain when possible and definitely snow, ice, salt and sand. Otherwise I'll be driving that car proudly (as I did my GT).
Old 8/23/16, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Hopefully I'll be getting some good video as well. The guy left his go pro mount on the roof.

Kind of lucky turn of events (minus the recovery time for my back and neck). My 2014 Black GT was rear ended and I was able to work a deal to get this car instead of waiting for mine to be fixed.
Wow, hope your back and neck are ok now. Sorry to hear about the crash and your old Mustang. The Boss will definitely put a big grin on your face.
mustang5o (8/23/16)
Old 8/24/16, 02:33 PM
Banned

So I have 2 more events coming up soon. September 12 (Monday) at Gingerman raceway, and Sept 24 (Saturday) at grattan to close out the season. I'll have my GoPro ready to go!
Old 8/25/16, 06:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
So I have 2 more events coming up soon. September 12 (Monday) at Gingerman raceway, and Sept 24 (Saturday) at grattan to close out the season. I'll have my GoPro ready to go!
Nice! I'll be at Palmer on 9/12, Hope the day goes well at both venues.

Any winter modification plans?
Old 8/25/16, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels

I know you are both using different types of tires but I was curious as to how many track days you are getting out of your tires? I had run some Continental slicks and now Pirelli take offs. The Pirelli's seem to be a good tire for the money but I'm wondering if I should be looking for something with more longevity. As far as cost vs lifespan goes.
Old 8/26/16, 08:28 AM
Banned

Thanks Derek, you too.

Probably. I'm curious about aftermarket H pipe and I'd love to do Steeda intake/tune combo. I'll see what kind of black Friday/cyber Monday deals I can find.

You?

I know you are both using different types of tires but I was curious as to how many track days you are getting out of your tires? I had run some Continental slicks and now Pirelli take offs. The Pirelli's seem to be a good tire for the money but I'm wondering if I should be looking for something with more longevity. As far as cost vs lifespan goes.
My S04s will be done after this season, with 9 days on them and about 5000 street miles. Since I only do about 8000 miles/year, I'm wondering if I should just have one set of tires vs two. I could realistically get 2 full season out of a good extreme performance tire I suppose.
Old 8/26/16, 12:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've tried quite a few tires on the track at this point...

R888's - started with them new, I've put about 5 days on them and there isn't much left. They were about 4 seconds off pace at PMP compared with BFG R1's and 1 second off pace at Limerock but I think I could get faster on R1's

Conti take offs - wore very quick and were slower by a bit (0.5 secs or so at limerock) than R888's! I chewed through some in as little as 80 miles. I hate them. Would rather run street tires

BFG R1's - highly impressed by these tires. I got like 7 days out of a slightly used set. They stick like glue and for me wore very very well. Maintained grip till I corded them

Hoosier R7 - I haven't driven these yet but all the guys I know shave 1-2 seconds from any other tire using R7's. They wear a little faster than R1's it seems
Old 8/26/16, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

My S04s will be done after this season, with 9 days on them and about 5000 street miles. Since I only do about 8000 miles/year, I'm wondering if I should just have one set of tires vs two. I could realistically get 2 full season out of a good extreme performance tire I suppose.
I put pretty low miles on my car as well. Possibly be slightly less now that I have the Boss. I'm currently using Pirelli take offs and since I have another set of wheels now I could probably get by with 2 sets of Pirelli take offs and save the street tires for the street or maybe if I'm running in the rain. I haven't actually ran in the rain yet but I've been on a damp track. The slicks become like driving on ice for cornering.

I've tried quite a few tires on the track at this point...

R888's - started with them new, I've put about 5 days on them and there isn't much left. They were about 4 seconds off pace at PMP compared with BFG R1's and 1 second off pace at Limerock but I think I could get faster on R1's

Conti take offs - wore very quick and were slower by a bit (0.5 secs or so at limerock) than R888's! I chewed through some in as little as 80 miles. I hate them. Would rather run street tires

BFG R1's - highly impressed by these tires. I got like 7 days out of a slightly used set. They stick like glue and for me wore very very well. Maintained grip till I corded them

Hoosier R7 - I haven't driven these yet but all the guys I know shave 1-2 seconds from any other tire using R7's. They wear a little faster than R1's it seems
I have a friend who uses the R7's and he really likes them. I'd like to know how they compare to the Pirelli take offs because a lot of people that I've talked to seem to like the Pirelli's. Too bad my friend hasn't tried them yet. The thing is I can get two sets of Pirelli take offs for the price of 1 set of R7's or BFG R1's. That makes it a tough call. My friend has a 2012 Boss with lots of mods and a lot more seat time than I do. This past June we went to a track in Hastings, NE and it was my first time running on the track (he's been there several times). My best time of the day was only 3 seconds slower then him. I was running my 2014 GT with nothing but better brakes, brake cooling, brake fluid and the Pirelli take offs. I think I could get those 3 seconds with a little more experience on some corners. The Boss should also be a little better than my GT as well.

I guess I'll see how well the Pirelli take offs hold up and go from there. Thanks for the great info guys!
5.M0NSTER (8/26/16)
Old 8/26/16, 06:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I put pretty low miles on my car as well. Possibly be slightly less now that I have the Boss. I'm currently using Pirelli take offs and since I have another set of wheels now I could probably get by with 2 sets of Pirelli take offs and save the street tires for the street or maybe if I'm running in the rain. I haven't actually ran in the rain yet but I've been on a damp track. The slicks become like driving on ice for cornering.

I have a friend who uses the R7's and he really likes them. I'd like to know how they compare to the Pirelli take offs because a lot of people that I've talked to seem to like the Pirelli's. Too bad my friend hasn't tried them yet. The thing is I can get two sets of Pirelli take offs for the price of 1 set of R7's or BFG R1's. That makes it a tough call. My friend has a 2012 Boss with lots of mods and a lot more seat time than I do. This past June we went to a track in Hastings, NE and it was my first time running on the track (he's been there several times). My best time of the day was only 3 seconds slower then him. I was running my 2014 GT with nothing but better brakes, brake cooling, brake fluid and the Pirelli take offs. I think I could get those 3 seconds with a little more experience on some corners. The Boss should also be a little better than my GT as well.

I guess I'll see how well the Pirelli take offs hold up and go from there. Thanks for the great info guys!
So I found some Hoosier R7's that I'm buying... gonna toss them on one of my spare sets of wheels and will give them a shot later this season
Old 8/26/16, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

So I found some Hoosier R7's that I'm buying... gonna toss them on one of my spare sets of wheels and will give them a shot later this season
Awesome. Good luck and let us know your thoughts.
Old 8/28/16, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SGwick
It's time.
just finished the oil change. Thank god because it was pitch black. The new oil was clear with a very slight amber color. The wix hp oil filter fit without issue. Reset oil %, quick drive and all good :-)
Old 8/28/16, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Strange why the oil would be so dark. How many miles on the oil before you changed it out? Is this your daily driver?
Old 8/28/16, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by redonblackpony
Strange why the oil would be so dark. How many miles on the oil before you changed it out? Is this your daily driver?
April timeframe was last oil change with 3 trackdays and not a daily driver (maybe used every other weekend) if weather is good. Wondering if dealership changed oil after I picked it up from 3 yr storage.
Old 9/1/16, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just turned in my focus st. wasn't doing much with it anyway :-)
Old 9/1/16, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SGwick
Just turned in my focus st. wasn't doing much with it anyway :-)
Was it a lease? Did you get something else? If I hadn't gotten the Boss I was thinking about trying to add a Focus RS to the stable. Maybe someday...or just another Mustang .
Old 9/1/16, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Was it a lease? Did you get something else? If I hadn't gotten the Boss I was thinking about trying to add a Focus RS to the stable. Maybe someday...or just another Mustang .
It was a buy but realizing I couldn't afford tracking/prepping 2 cars I just focused on the Stang, after that it just became more of daily driver.
Old 9/1/16, 08:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
. . . . I'm currently using Pirelli take offs and since I have another set of wheels now I could probably get by with 2 sets of Pirelli take offs and save the street tires for the street or maybe if I'm running in the rain. . . . . I'd like to know how they compare to the Pirelli take offs because a lot of people that I've talked to seem to like the Pirelli's. . . . The thing is I can get two sets of Pirelli take offs for the price of 1 set of R7's or BFG R1's. . . .
which Pirelli's are you talking about?

Quick Reply: Track Related Mods