Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Related Mods

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/15, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
That's a hell of a mod list Steve!

How have your brakes been feeling with the recent upgrades you made? This year I'm focusing on brakes as well. Got to make sure I have brake capacity to spare and a nice firm pedal

Also I can recommend SVE drift wheels. I've been using them for track days with good success. Plus they look really sharp.

So on the suspension topic I've decided I want to go for the springs/sway/dampers all at once, and I'm thinking of going with springs/sways made by the same company. I figure if they are designed to work as a system, there will be less variance for me to introduce by pairing different components. I will definitely go the adjustable sway route.

I've also been having second thoughts about adjustable shocks. Or rather my ability to take advantage of them. Over the next few years I will likely only be able to do one track days at a time as opposed to entire weekend. I'm afraid that by the time I fine-tune to a setting I like my day will be over. With just 4 sessions per day I probably should focus on driving. Food for thought I guess.
Old 2/26/15, 05:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Fair input on the adjustable shocks. But the cost difference is smal and might I remind you that you were just recently talking about $5k CCB setup? Just saying

On the subject of braking, my Ti backing plates arrived last night. I'm quite curious to see if they make a difference for me this season. I'm still not fully on the band wagon in believing they make a difference but there are lots of believers out there. We shall see

When are you doing the suspension work? Assuming before the first outing of the season? Consider doing the caster/camber plates up front as well so you don't have to disasemble and reassemble the shocks down the road... I just did the gt500 mounts and they are nice but I really am not looking forward to decompressing the springs down the road.... Sort of a terrifying experience with that huge amount of potential energy sitting in front of your face...
Old 2/26/15, 06:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Fair input on the adjustable shocks. But the cost difference is smal and might I remind you that you were just recently talking about $5k CCB setup? Just saying

On the subject of braking, my Ti backing plates arrived last night. I'm quite curious to see if they make a difference for me this season. I'm still not fully on the band wagon in believing they make a difference but there are lots of believers out there. We shall see

When are you doing the suspension work? Assuming before the first outing of the season? Consider doing the caster/camber plates up front as well so you don't have to disasemble and reassemble the shocks down the road... I just did the gt500 mounts and they are nice but I really am not looking forward to decompressing the springs down the road.... Sort of a terrifying experience with that huge amount of potential energy sitting in front of your face...
Ti backing plates? Are those thicker shims that go between the brake pad and the piston to keep the temps down? What's the theory regarding the benefits they provide?

This time next year is when I plan to pull the trigger on suspension work. I was going to go the GT500 mount route, but I may very well reconsider. It would be nice to get more camber easily, and not stare death in the face as you mentioned.

You're right, I'm not worrying about $350 price difference between adjustable and non adjustable shocks... though that would pay for caster/camber plates I'm on the fence right now, just not sure if I can get use out of them. Still got some time to think about them.
Old 2/26/15, 12:47 PM
Banned

Speaking of braking upgrades for the track, check out this very informative article:

http://www.autotrackdaymonthly.com/i...-track-day-use

I think the Brembo calipers/rotors handle track duty quite well, but the article goes in-depth about what the other weak links are for track use.
Old 2/26/15, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Thanks for this article. Very informative!! Going thru the same problems at the track with vapor lock.
Old 2/27/15, 03:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new gear is holding up very well so far. I like the new pedal feel and shorter stopping distances. I feel way more confident mashing the brakes from triple digit cruising speeds on the autobahn. They scrub speed very well. Next will be cooling and rears.
Old 2/27/15, 03:33 PM
Banned

Glad to hear it's working out well.

I'll be in Germany next week actually, Autobahn is one of the things I look forward to. Even in a rental car. Heffeweizen is the other.
Old 2/28/15, 04:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Ti backing plates? Are those thicker shims that go between the brake pad and the piston to keep the temps down? What's the theory regarding the benefits they provide?

This time next year is when I plan to pull the trigger on suspension work. I was going to go the GT500 mount route, but I may very well reconsider. It would be nice to get more camber easily, and not stare death in the face as you mentioned.

You're right, I'm not worrying about $350 price difference between adjustable and non adjustable shocks... though that would pay for caster/camber plates I'm on the fence right now, just not sure if I can get use out of them. Still got some time to think about them.
Correct, the shims that sit on the back of the pad as a thermal barrier between the pad and the caliper piston. Theory is Ti has low thermal conductivity (5.8 w/(m*K) vs steel (~50 w/(m*K), and keeps heat in the pad/rotor and away from the caliper/piston.

Sounds like plenty of time to consider. The Koni sale starts soon and runs through August I think this year. 25% off normal prices - not too bad!

I just signed up for VIR in November (yes, planning ahead) because they are running their Grand course, which is what Car & Driver utilizes every year for Lightning Lap. I've wanted to run that course for many, many years now and am extremely excited! I think that will bring me up to about 20 track days this season too
Old 2/28/15, 04:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Glad to hear it's working out well.

I'll be in Germany next week actually, Autobahn is one of the things I look forward to. Even in a rental car. Heffeweizen is the other.
Very nice! A 3-series diesel would do well, or even a Golf TDI.

I'm off to Ireland tomorrow night for the week for work. Looking forward to driving around a bit there and doing some "clutch durability" testing
Old 3/1/15, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can rent an Astin Martin for enough money for a day. I think like $400. Or an M6. You will still most likely get passed by the station wagon mafia. The will be the ones flying by you at 175mph smelling like french fries.

dmichaels. I'm trying to make it to VIR then as well. I get back to the states in August. We will see. I might be a full time college student if things work out the way I would like.....which almost never happens. Gotta finish this dang degree.

Edit.....just checked and all the fun cars aren't available right now through Sixt car rentals. Best you could do is a M550d or a 6 series which are both less than $300 per day. X5M 50d for $400. That would be my choice. Those things fly.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 3/1/15 at 07:20 PM.
Old 3/2/15, 04:51 AM
Banned

Very nice! A 3-series diesel would do well, or even a Golf TDI.

I'm off to Ireland tomorrow night for the week for work. Looking forward to driving around a bit there and doing some "clutch durability" testing
North Ireland or Republic of Ireland? I spent quite a bit of time in North Ireland first 2 years after college. Beautiful country. Enjoy driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
You can rent an Astin Martin for enough money for a day. I think like $400. Or an M6. You will still most likely get passed by the station wagon mafia. The will be the ones flying by you at 175mph smelling like french fries.

dmichaels. I'm trying to make it to VIR then as well. I get back to the states in August. We will see. I might be a full time college student if things work out the way I would like.....which almost never happens. Gotta finish this dang degree.

Edit.....just checked and all the fun cars aren't available right now through Sixt car rentals. Best you could do is a M550d or a 6 series which are both less than $300 per day. X5M 50d for $400. That would be my choice. Those things fly.
Sigh, unfortunately I have a diesel Ford Fiesta. Thing can barely go 175kph. I haven't looked yet, but I expect there to be a hamster under the hood

My company paid for everything and booked my car too, so nothing I can do I guess. Oh well. Wish I had my Mustang here... out of the way BMW wagons!

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/2/15 at 06:09 AM.
Old 3/10/15, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quick update on my brake pad selection.

I just read in another thread that leaving XP8s on the back is OK on the Mustang. I called Carbotech and talked to a technical product expert. He confirmed that noise and dust, as well as rotor wear are not going to be an issue with XP8s on the rear, even for DD duties. So this option gives me a higher torque pad which is heat resistant to 1350F (instead of 800F with stock) that I can use daily! YES!!

Than all I have to do is keep changing the fronts from stock pads to XP10s (which are good to 1475F) and I will have the right brake bias on the track, with much improved thermal capacity, and because the bias goes back to normal my fronts should run cooler.

On the street I'll have a little more rear bias, which is ok too.

Win-Win!
Old 3/10/15, 10:37 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
So on the suspension topic I've decided I want to go for the springs/sway/dampers all at once, and I'm thinking of going with springs/sways made by the same company. I figure if they are designed to work as a system, there will be less variance for me to introduce by pairing different components. I will definitely go the adjustable sway route.
---
I know I'm a little late here. But I felt exactly the same way regarding suspension. There are some great choices out there, and TMS users have great results with combos. But I went with all one system - Eibach Pro-System-Plus-Kit (springs, dampers, sway bars). Front sway is adjustable, but I keep it on the middle setting. This suspension set-up is fantastic for what I need. Eibach also makes more aggressive packages than the Pro, but I don't need extreme. Good luck, ask if you need any info.
Old 3/12/15, 06:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

North Ireland or Republic of Ireland? I spent quite a bit of time in North Ireland first 2 years after college. Beautiful country. Enjoy driving on the "wrong" side of the road.
North Ireland - Belfast specifically. Flew into Dublin and drove up. It was a pretty drive... I have no issues on the "wrong" side of the road, it's a little odd for the first few miles, but then it quickly becomes no big deal.

Ended up getting a Seat diesel which was reasonably fun.
Old 3/12/15, 06:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Quick update on my brake pad selection.

I just read in another thread that leaving XP8s on the back is OK on the Mustang. I called Carbotech and talked to a technical product expert. He confirmed that noise and dust, as well as rotor wear are not going to be an issue with XP8s on the rear, even for DD duties. So this option gives me a higher torque pad which is heat resistant to 1350F (instead of 800F with stock) that I can use daily! YES!!

Than all I have to do is keep changing the fronts from stock pads to XP10s (which are good to 1475F) and I will have the right brake bias on the track, with much improved thermal capacity, and because the bias goes back to normal my fronts should run cooler.

On the street I'll have a little more rear bias, which is ok too.

Win-Win!
Good deal - I sourced some XP10 and XP12's recently that I'm going to use at the track and probably will leave in for daily driving since I don't use the car much on the street. Lots of guys like Carbotech - I'll let you know what I think of the XP10's when I bring them out to Limerock in a couple weeks. I think I'm going to use the XP12's at Pocono on April 12th since they handle a little more heat. Nice that they are compatible in terms of compounds. Thnking I'll end up getting XP20 or XP24's later this season

Track fever... it's getting bad....
Old 3/13/15, 11:00 AM
Banned

North Ireland - Belfast specifically. Flew into Dublin and drove up. It was a pretty drive... I have no issues on the "wrong" side of the road, it's a little odd for the first few miles, but then it quickly becomes no big deal.

Ended up getting a Seat diesel which was reasonably fun.
Nice. I stayed at Hotel Europa a few times, and of course made it down to Crown bar. Guiness is so much better over there.

Good deal - I sourced some XP10 and XP12's recently that I'm going to use at the track and probably will leave in for daily driving since I don't use the car much on the street. Lots of guys like Carbotech - I'll let you know what I think of the XP10's when I bring them out to Limerock in a couple weeks. I think I'm going to use the XP12's at Pocono on April 12th since they handle a little more heat. Nice that they are compatible in terms of compounds. Thnking I'll end up getting XP20 or XP24's later this season

Track fever... it's getting bad....
I'm one of Carbotech fan boys. The XP10s I use for the front have been fantastic. Can't wait to try the XP10/XP8 combo this season.

You may be better suited with with 12/20 compound, but I think you'll like the 10s and 12s as well. Will you be running slicks as well? As I keep getting faster each time I go out I may replace my CP10s with XP12s next time I order pads, but for this year I think I'm good.

I got all my pars in hand now:
1) GT 500 Cooling Shields
2) XP8s for the rear
3) Russel SS lines
4) 4 bottles of RBF 600

I'm planning to get them all installed early April, and I'm eyeing April 18 as my first track day for the year. It would be at Gingerman. But we typically get our last snow for the winter in April.... so we'll see.
Old 3/14/15, 09:34 PM
Banned

All my parts are here at last. Now I just need to get it all installed before April 18. That's when my first track days for the season is planned.
Attached Thumbnails Track Related Mods-img_0085.jpg  
Old 3/15/15, 10:10 AM

4 bottles of RBF 600
---
Hi, question please, I'm switching to Motul 600. For a full flush/bleed, how many bottles do I need?
Old 3/15/15, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Hi, question please, I'm switching to Motul 600. For a full flush/bleed, how many bottles do I need?
You can get away with 2 I think, but to be safe I'd do 3. It depends on how long you bleed for before you call it good. I had some left over from last time, and I got 2 more bottles this time.
Old 3/15/15, 09:12 PM

You can get away with 2 I think, but to be safe I'd do 3. It depends on how long you bleed for before you call it good. I had some left over from last time, and I got 2 more bottles this time.
---
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Track Related Mods