Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track Day report from Lime Rock Park

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/13, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track Day report from Lime Rock Park

My first track day ever was Nov 7, 2007 at Lime Rock Park. I was as anxious and nervous as could be, basically afraid that something bad would happen to my beloved Mustang GT.

Since then I have done track days at Loudon NH, Watkins Glen (twice), and NJ Motorsports Park Thunderbolt track.

On Aug 26 2013 I returned to the original crime scene at Lime Rock for a second track day there. The track is absolutely phenomenal, and the Mustang shines on it. Watkins Glen is still my favorite - it's over 3 miles compared to 1.5 miles at LRP - but LRP is a close second. Lime Rock is a wild ride with extreme elevation changes and a couple of pretty hairy and intimidating sections. It's fun and fast, and even a stock 4.6L Mustang with all-seasons can reach 120 mph or better on the front straight.

This was my 6th track day overall, and I am real comfortable on the track now compared to that first time. Any track will still get your adrenaline pumping, but after a few events your confidence and comfort levels build to the point where you start to have a lot of fun.

I also had my first off-track experience at this event - it wasn't even close to be being dangerous, but still, you do want to keep all 4 wheels on the track at all times. I did get it on video using a GoPro Hero2 in the windshield. In this one-minute clip you'll see me behind a Subaru STI. We both pass a Pontiac Fiero (of all things!) on the uphill straight section, and I catch up to the STI on the downhill corner going into the front straight. After passing the Subaru, I did not set up the first turn correctly and came in too hot and wide. I thought I recovered, but as you'll see, the car just understeered and wouldn't turn:

Old 9/16/13, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Question for you, are you part of any club or organization that runs these track days at these places? I would love to run at Watkins Glen or Limerock, unfortunately I live in Texas, but I guess what I'm asking is are you part of any organization or club that gets you access to these track days? There's plenty of road courses down here in Texas in the Houston and Austin area (circuit of the America's although that place is pretty exclusive with its track days). I'm just trying to figure out where to look for events like this because there never seems to be any in my region at all. Autocross was cool but I want a full size track.
Old 9/16/13, 06:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
OP - glad you had a good time. Limerock is a fun track! Which club was there today? Any idea what you ran for lap times? I was there with a 1987.5 Audi Coupe GT back in May for 2 days. 2400 lb car on slicks was quite a ride

Flynavy - there are a lot of clubs that do track days. I suggest you go on motorsportreg.com and do a search of track days in your area.
Old 9/16/13, 06:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Just watched your video clip - I have done the same thing in my old Audi S4 - it understeered constantly.

You have a pretty tight line through Big Bend - looked like you understeered as you seemed to hit a really early apex? Rest of the video looked like a good line though, and getting by a STI is always fun! They are quick around that track.

I love the uphill - was practicing coming in "too hot" and in the compression zone give the steering wheel a quick correction right to align for the crest. Fun corner! And the downhill is a ballsy corner - I have just recently convinced myself not to tap the brakes, but I haven't taken it flat out yet! This is all in my old Audi S4 and in the Coupe GT this past year...

If you're interested in trying out the New York Safety Track on Oct 6th up by Albany (about an hour west of Albany) let me know!
Old 9/18/13, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

The club I went with is the Sports Car Driving Association (SCDA), out of Essex CT. I am not a member of the club or anything - they put on public events that anyone can register for and enter. Lime Rock is the most expensive event they have at $340 for about 95 minutes of track time. Watkins Glen was $275 for 2.5 hours!

http://www.scda1.com/

Someone did time some of my laps. My best was just under 1:10. Not great, but fast for the Novice group. I think there are two things that would get that time down by a few seconds:

1. Use summer performance tires instead of all-seasons. There weren't too many serious drivers using all-seasons.

2. Stay on the gas longer on the front straight. My instructor said that I was lifting just before the braking markers, and then braking halfway into them, but I should have kept on the throttle to the last possible second before braking hard.

The downhill corner is ballsy indeed! You could see the brake lights on the STI and I was tapping them too. It's really mental though, because that turn can be taken without braking - the fact that it's downhill and ~100 mph makes it scary.

@flynavy - Google for events in your area, or even call the tracks and find out about the clubs that run them. Lime Rock has numerous clubs that run there, as does Watkins Glen and Loudon, in my area. I always go with SCDA but there are BMW and Porsche clubs that also run events, and the public is invited.